Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Blooming Elm, can I target an illusion which already has a +1/+1 rune in order to destroy it? The wording is ambiguous, because "if" can be taken to mean that the ability can be targeted at said target with no effect (of adding the +1/+1 runes).

A few other cards also use this "if" wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharpo Bject
United States
flag msg tools
Looks like yes to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Put three +1/+1 runes on a unit or one on a hero if that unit or hero doesn't have any +1/+1 runes.

I would say no. The "if" clause is a targeting restriction; you may only do the thing if it meets the condition. It's similar to how you couldn't just "attempt" to target a unit with a spell that doesn't target units (like General's Hammer) and then claim that you were targeting it for no effect. The "if" clause specifies which cards are legal targets for the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Codex doesn't use if clauses to limit targets. Codex doesn't limit targets very much at all - pretty much anything that matches the noun clause is OK to target, even if there will be no effect.

Examples:

Blooming Elm: targets a unit or hero

Bloom: targets a friendly unit or hero that doesn't have a +1/+1 rune

Thunderclap: targets up to three units without flying that cost ② or less. (even if they aren't currently patrolling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I read something along those lines but I am not convinced.

so practically any card that has target symbol can kill an opposing illusion ?
I think Andrew's interpretation makes much more sense.

example
http://codexcarddb.com/card/thunderclap
in the rulings in this page, it says you cannot use it with tokens. although tokens are units and they cost less than 2.
in the sirlin forums some said that this card can target non-patrolling units and illusions. all of this makes no sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
example
http://codexcarddb.com/card/thunderclap
in the rulings in this page, it says you cannot use it with tokens. although tokens are units and they cost less than 2.
in the sirlin forums some said that this card can target non-patrolling units and illusions. all of this makes no sense to me.

You're reading the Thunderclap ruling backwards. The ruling on the page you linked says you can use it on tokens, unless it's a token that costs more than 2 (as Quince's illusion mirrors sometimes do). Most tokens cost 0, so Thunderclap works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I read it "this does not work on tokens"

I dont know why I always read a "not" that is not there gulp

But I believe this card cannot target non patrollers AT ALL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
I read it "this does not work on tokens"

I dont know why I always read a "not" that is not there gulp

But I believe this card cannot target non patrollers AT ALL

It can target non-patrollers because it says nothing about patrollers. Sidelining something doesn't require it to be patrolling, it just make it step out of the patrol zone if it is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
Using Blooming Elm, can I target an illusion which already has a +1/+1 rune in order to destroy it? The wording is ambiguous, because "if" can be taken to mean that the ability can be targeted at said target with no effect (of adding the +1/+1 runes).

A few other cards also use this "if" wording.

I think sharpo and Sirlin ruled that you can target a unit with +1/+1 runes with Blooming Elm. It just doesn't add any runes. I will ask them on Discord to get a confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.