Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg
badge
Only In It For The Chuckles!
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this look - have I missed anything? It is for solo play using 2 investigators.

The Encounter Deck space top left looks a little washed out in the pic due to the moonlight but does look fine full size (this image is a fraction of the real size obviously. The actual size is 35 x 35 inches for the full playmat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would put next to each other the Act and Agenda space. It looks better without this gap, in my opinion.

I would also add a space for set aside scenario cards (which coming later into play).

Except that, you can also add a action tracker, like the click tracker in Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick comment to say sometimes you may find the Location space lacking, depending on how you set up the cards and what connections they have - for example some people like to arrange the locations as much based on their connections as possible in which case, you might run out of vertical space fast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

The Location space is a problem - to be honest with the card height it does mean you are stuck a little without the playmat getting huge (48 x 48 inches!). I could put the Act/ Agenda cards down the sides I suppose but for the time being I am just off-setting cards - for example in the first campaign I have the Attic card slightly higher than the Cellar card whilst the Hallway and Parlour are on the centre 'line' if yu see what I mean. That seems to work ok. If I have to show more than 3 levels I might have to do a steps type of arrangement

With the Scenario Space I'm looking to pop them back on the bottom of the pile but I'll see about having a discard space to match the Encounters on the other side. I have left the centre gap as I am wondering whether to put a Doom Track in that space? Say 15 circles? Do you think Doom would ever need a higher track than that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a good start, I have several suggestions, but likely because I have different ideas. This is totally playable as is!

I agree with putting the agenda and act cards together. The art on them forms an open book, you don't need a doom track, especially if we get that one scenario that needs 16 doom, you'll be kicking yourself. So the discards for those can just be to the left and right of them.

I'd lose the "in play" area and move the threat down to that, which gives you an extra row for locations. You can also drop the word locations, which makes the central area the in play area too for those transitory cards.

You can shrink the tokens box and put the draw and discard on the same row with the Investigator card, I just think you have too much space for tokens, but I do keep mine on my Investigator card.

At this point my only fear would be your asset area is too small. You seem willing to overlap those cards, but some of them get resources applied to them, so that may make tracking them too difficult. I think if you lost the token area completely you could arrange the bottom two rows to have the draw and discard piles, the investigator card, and seven non overlapping assets.

As for the set aside cards, I personally just put them under the scenario card, so no one is looking at what is coming. I don't think you need a spot for them.

I like the art style, it looks like an awesome Netrunner mat came to Arkham! Hope you take my criticism as constructive, I'm eager to see where you go with this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi supermarino,

Some great feedback thank you.

I'll probably keep the in play area as I like to know what I am committing and what Investigators are holding in their hands.

I have a version here which fits the larger 48 x 48 inch format:

1 Larger location area (comfortably fits 4 cards up and down and 16 cards side to side).

2 Smaller token area. I do like somewhere to put clues, resources, health & sanity etc while being able to pick up the investigator card without tipping tokens off.

3 Room for 8 cards side by side for each Threat area, Investigators asset area and In Play area. Also areas at the base for any odds and sods.

4 Moved the Agenda and Act cards closer together. Added a discard for the Scenario and two areas for doom tokens etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Love it. Very nice, clean and smart looking bit of design.

This is just a thought based on my own attempts to maximise the space for location cards:

I've brought the threat area down from horizontal rows above the investigator play area and placed them in more vertical-oriented 'wide columns' sitting between the two investigators. This works great when dealing with a large rectangular table (in landscape orientation) as I am, but obviously may not be that suitable when you're fitting for a square area (furthermore it may simply not be to your taste, ha.) Again, just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Noaloha.

Yes your table on steam is brilliant mate - and an excellent solution for the rectangular space. thumbsup I'm lucky as I have the square space so I can have the hordes descend!

Loving the videos btw. Got a massive EH game I'm videoing at the moment that is hogging my table so I am using your vids [EDIT: and Tabletopia table!] to help myself learn the game - and learn about machete's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Oooh, you're watching my little videos, yay. Glad you're enjoying them, and thanks a bunch for the nice words. modest

I just got finished on the starter deck Roland & Wendy's run through of The Midnight Masks that I hope to have uploaded soon. It definitely goes places!

And yes. Machete... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this version a lot more, although it is very big, but hey, if it fits go for it! This is giving me good inspiration for what I will probably do, but I won't have time to start until next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to your playthrough of this when it comes, on the other hand not looking forward to your playthrough on this as I always end up hitting the OLGS after watching one - I have tried to tell myself that I will not pick this up till the new year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
...I always end up hitting the OLGS after watching one - I have tried to tell myself that I will not pick this up till the new year!

Don't watch my video on the Storage Solution, Nick! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.