Subject: Open sea vs out of play areas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't find the specific mentioning of this in the rule book.
When fewer than 18 players, how do you handle the open sea areas?
Specifically in a 11p game. Will the sea area next to Egypt and Assyria count as "in play" or "out of play"? It'll make a huge difference on how cyclone is handled...
I know the coastal areas still have full use of the coast but I can't find the reference to how the open sea is handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The open sea is still in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Open seas are always in play

From the rulebook: "Place ‘out of play’ tokens on the population limit of each area that is grayed out in the map-board setup."

The open sea areas have no population limit (and are not grayed out), ergo they are always in play.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, I just needed to have it confirmed. For some freak reason I always miss the same chunk of text even if I do multiple searches. It's enough to drive me crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkusA wrote:
Specifically in a 11p game. Will the sea area next to Egypt and Assyria count as "in play" or "out of play"? It'll make a huge difference on how cyclone is handled...
I know the coastal areas still have full use of the coast but I can't find the reference to how the open sea is handled.

page 7 of the updated rulebook, at the bottom says Open sea areas are always in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flodehaan wrote:
MarkusA wrote:

page 7 of the updated rulebook, at the bottom says Open sea areas are always in play.

and I guess that was in the original printed rulebook as well, but I don't have that here now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a bizarre reading disability I have. I sometimes miss entire paragraphs. Makes it quite frustrating when you're searching for something specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at least you have us lovely people to ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.