Kaunas
flag msg tools
Last played: Steam: Great Britain, Eurorails, Kingdom Builder:Nomads
badge
Thinking over my next move :)
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read the post here:
http://www.treefroggames.com/

It will be 20th Treefrog/Warfrog game in my collection. So it's really an end of an era!

Best of luck to Martin and Julia. Looking forward to this last Treefrog title, as well as all M.W. creations in future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
But still no date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
But still no date.
from the announcement: "Hopefully the games will be ready to ship by March 2017 – it takes about eight weeks to print the game, plus a little extra time for seasonal holidays."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't appear to be any links on the mentioned retailers sites to pre-order it yet though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
yzemaze wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:
But still no date.
from the announcement: "Hopefully the games will be ready to ship by March 2017 – it takes about eight weeks to print the game, plus a little extra time for seasonal holidays."

I know but it's still not up for preorder and nor is there a date for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting in ernest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugen Bacic
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Exciting yet bittersweet news. I love Martin Wallace's games. He is by far my favourite designer. So this is an instant buy and I will be checking the retailers for the pre-order link regularly :-).

It's also nice to hear that Fantasy Flight picked up the rights so maybe after the first run, if it sells out quickly, FF will opt to do another in 2017 for those who want it. Plus, I'm glad the mechanisms will be re-used in future games from FF. A few of us in our game group simply adore the elegance of the mechanism. It's the primary reason I bought Hands in the Sea!

I can see what I'll be playing come March/April next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Zete wrote:

Exciting yet bittersweet news. I love Martin Wallace's games. He is by far my favourite designer. So this is an instant buy and I will be checking the retailers for the pre-order link regularly :-).

It's also nice to hear that Fantasy Flight picked up the rights so maybe after the first run, if it sells out quickly, FF will opt to do another in 2017 for those who want it. Plus, I'm glad the mechanisms will be re-used in future games from FF. A few of us in our game group simply adore the elegance of the mechanism. It's the primary reason I bought Hands in the Sea!

I haven't played Hands in the Sea but I found AHoS much better than Mythotopia and AFAoS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugen Bacic
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Zete wrote:

I haven't played Hands in the Sea but I found AHoS much better than Mythotopia and AFAoS.

My friend and I love AFAoS and are playing Hands in the Sea tonight. If A Handful of Stars is better than AFAoS we're going to love it -- even more so because it allows more than just 2 people. We have Mythtopia on our docket for a marathon game day during Christmas break.

Now I'm even more pumped for AHoS! Thanks! I can see what we'll be playing around Easter in 2017!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bittersweet news for me.

Several months back, I "subscribed" (for something like $180) to Treefrog one last time, but almost completely blind: whereas in previous years we would know exactly what three games we would get, this time around we were told that we'd get A Handful of Stars plus two more games. Nobody would get the same games -- it all depended on available stock.
I did it anyway, because there was no guarantee of being able to preorder AHoS, and I really wanted that game.

Then, a few months later, we got an email saying that they could not promise us that AHoS would be among the three games. That pained me because that was was the whole reason I had purchased a subscription.

Then this: turns out that not only can I preorder, but I can even do it from a Canadian store! Which is great news, don't get me wrong.
But now I feel obligated to preorder just in case I don't get AHoS through my very costly subscription.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Bittersweet news for me.

Several months back, I "subscribed" (for something like $180) to Treefrog one last time, but almost completely blind: whereas in previous years we would know exactly what three games we would get, this time around we were told that we'd get A Handful of Stars plus two more games. Nobody would get the same games -- it all depended on available stock.
I did it anyway, because there was no guarantee of being able to preorder AHoS, and I really wanted that game.

Then, a few months later, we got an email saying that they could not promise us that AHoS would be among the three games. That pained me because that was was the whole reason I had purchased a subscription.

Then this: turns out that not only can I preorder, but I can even do it from a Canadian store! Which is great news, don't get me wrong.
But now I feel obligated to preorder just in case I don't get AHoS through my very costly subscription.

I'm in the same situation. Hopefully we'll have some news from Treefrog in the next couple of days...

K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very interesting that Fantasy Flight would pick this up. It seems like a game that would be a good fit for their Twilight Imperium license, like they did with Dune and Rex: Final Days of an Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anyone else noticed that there's an inconsistency in the colouring of Population and Matter icons on this page: http://www.treefroggames.com/a-handful-of-stars

Matter is supposed to be red, Population green (as per rules), yet take a look at the colours on some of the system tokens and on the player boards. Development tokens have it the correct way around, as do the pictured cards.

Hope it doesn't get printed like this!

EDIT: looking closely at the rule book, it chops and changes between red/green for Matter/Population in the example images. Hopefully it's just in these (older?) example images, and not in the actual cards/tokens/player boards - all the icons on the full art cards in the final pages of the rules appear to be correct, despite some of those same cards on page 8/10 being the wrong way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris ß
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
If you look at the play test pictures, you can see that Matter use to be Green and Population red. I am with you on hoping that this comes out right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now up for pre-order on Gameslore - A Handful of Stars

£55.00 + postage - ouch!

But it does look good and it might be the last true Wallace - the recent games for other publishers have been good but lite.

Would like to see Martin hook up with someone like Stonemaier games - they aren't afraid to put our more complex fare and their production and project management is the best in the business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klode wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
Bittersweet news for me.

I'm in the same situation. Hopefully we'll have some news from Treefrog in the next couple of days...

K

That make us three (and probably a few more). Waiting to see an update on that package for us, as this news was really disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zete wrote:

The FFG part is intriguing, as if FFG just wanted to reuse the mechanisms in a new setup, do they actually need to purchase the system? As game mechanisms can't be copyright-protected, what would prevent FFG from simply using them as-is (except the loss of goodwill from customers for copying the system without permission)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really doubt that FFG would reprint AHoS. They have a history of leveraging their existing product. A TI3-themed game or even a Runewars-type game would seem possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
I really doubt that FFG would reprint AHoS. They have a history of leveraging their existing product. A TI3-themed game or even a Runewars-type game would seem possible.

I would have thought a TI3 straight reskin of AHoS is the most likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaels wrote:
Zete wrote:

The FFG part is intriguing, as if FFG just wanted to reuse the mechanisms in a new setup, do they actually need to purchase the system? As game mechanisms can't be copyright-protected, what would prevent FFG from simply using them as-is (except the loss of goodwill from customers for copying the system without permission)?

I guess licencing it would allow them to put "Martin Wallace" on the box, as they've done with Richard Borg. Also, they can afford goodwill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
Jaels wrote:
Zete wrote:

I guess licencing it would allow them to put "Martin Wallace" on the box, as they've done with Richard Borg. Also, they can afford goodwill.

Yeah.
I've seen people reuse mechanisms from other games and incorporating them into something new, but lifting the whole system and using it elsewhere? I don't think I've ever seen that.
(Hands in the Sea comes very, very close, mind you...)

I know it wouldn't be illegal, but I would be taken aback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious when Board Game Geek will announce the game for order or pre-order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugen Bacic
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaels wrote:
Zete wrote:

Like others, I think it's so they can both re-use the mechanism on a reskin and put Wallace's name on it for draw effect for fans like us.

It will be interesting to see where FF takes it. But my guess would also be the TI universe. Maybe a true TI Light?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon James
United States
El Cajon
California
flag msg tools
Be righteous. Be kind.
badge
Be righteous. Be kind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pre ordered mine. Now the wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrandonJames wrote:
Just pre ordered mine. Now the wait.

As a US person interested in this, are you importing from somewhere or is there a US site with preorders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.