Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

I want to make an animated tutorial of how my game plays.
I've seen a style of video I like, and wanted to know how I can achieve the same effect easily.

the video is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itbboardgames/quickdraw...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
how I can achieve the same effect easily.

You can't.

Well, it's pretty easy if you're already familiar with animation software, but if you were, I imagine you wouldn't have to ask the question.

Probably the most important follow-up question is simply this: how much are you willing to pay for this? Are you looking for free software that you can work out yourself, or are you willing to put some money down? Depending on how you value your time, it may be more cost-effective to simply find someone who already knows how to do this and has the relevant software and pay them to produce the animation for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To start with id want to do it myself.
When it comes to the polished version I am more than happy to pay.

Could you suggest a free application which is easy to learn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

Could you suggest a free application which is easy to learn?

Personally: no, not really!

Bear in mind that there's generally a trade-off between "powerful" and "easy to learn". As much as the people who make software would like you to believe that the two can go hand-in-hand, generally the more easy-to-learn a bit of software is the more restrictive/limited it is in what you can do with it, and vice versa.

On a personal-experience-of-freely-available-software note, the software I use for editing videos is BlackMagic's DaVinci Resolve. The non-studio version is [generously!] available for free, but while it could do the things in that example video you show, it's definitely not best suited to them; it's a non-linear video editing package that grew out of colour-management software. You'd be better off with a dedicated animation/motion-graphics package, but I don't know of one that's available for free - let alone one that's easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work as an animator. After effects is the professional program for this, and it's relatively easy to learn, especially if you know photoshop. But it will take weeks, and you'll probably end up with something looking less than professional, unless you have great talent for it

I recommend looking at other options. Film a real life demo with a camera. Or maybe import the game into tabletopia or board game simulator and video capture a demonstration from there. Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Haakon Gaarder wrote:

I recommend looking at other options. Film a real life demo with a camera. Or maybe import the game into tabletopia or board game simulator and video capture a demonstration from there.

Also, don't underestimate the power and appeal of stop-motion animation. All you need for that is a simple video-editing package and a camera and tripod to take the pictures in the first place. Do some interstitial or overlay graphics in whatever graphics package you're already comfortable with and it can look pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m see
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey guys,

i am an professional animator. Both, Stop-Motion and Computeranimation..
Just wanting to say that don´t underestimate the expenditure of making
a good and understandable stop-motion animation..

You should make a storyboard first:

What are the steps that are necessary to show the viewer?

What can you neglect in the first place?

How long does a viewer want to watch your video? (I think
the best would be between 1-3 min)

etc pp..

I would say that it would be the best to try a demo of after effects..
It´s free for thirty days..

If you have a breakdown of your rules, i could help you making
a well structured storyboard..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoyi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
rAikboy wrote:
hey guys,

i am an professional animator. Both, Stop-Motion and Computeranimation..
Just wanting to say that don´t underestimate the expenditure of making
a good and understandable stop-motion animation..

You should make a storyboard first:

What are the steps that are necessary to show the viewer?

What can you neglect in the first place?

How long does a viewer want to watch your video? (I think
the best would be between 1-3 min)

etc pp..

I would say that it would be the best to try a demo of after effects..
It´s free for thirty days..

If you have a breakdown of your rules, i could help you making
a well structured storyboard..

Animator piping in. Do what rAikboy said. He knows what's up.

There is lots of tutorials on youtube on after effects. A good think to keep in mind, and based on the style you posted as sample, it might be easier for you to stet up the layout on photoshop and then throw the layered PSD into AE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.