12 Posts

Quadropolis» Forums » General

Subject: Score Order / Track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bullers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thinking about picking this game up, but one thing I tend not to like in games is when the game itself is fun but then you sit in silence at the end for 5 minutes working out your score on a piece of paper, then everyone says a number and "oh, I guess you won then"

An aspect of games like say Ticket to Ride, is that even though there is scoring at the end, its a bit of a horse race as bonuses and penalties are incurred which makes the post-play segment fun.

Do you think this game would work with a score track, where at the end, all buildings of a single colour/type are scored for all players, then on to the next type etc, with penalties for surplus energy/population at the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    It will not. You have the ability to move people around on your board at will, constantly changing your scoring. Trying to subtract and then add each time a player does that would result in incorrect scoring, or at a minimum doubt in the scores as the game progressed.

This game didn't knock me out. It's kinda lifeless. If you're not comfortable with the scoring facet I think you should hold off on investing in the entire package until you've gotten a chance to play it a couple of times.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Because you can allocate your power and population at the end of the game. You can put it on buildings during the game, but it might be on a completely different building at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bullers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
No, I agree you couldnt run a score track during the game, what I was picturing was post gameplay, rather than each player privately calculating their own scores then declaring.

There would be a score track where each player would advance based on their finished city.

Each player would get points in rounds, everyone gets points for building type one, then everyone gets points for building type two etc, then finally people get penalties for surplus energy and population.

Would that be workable, or more importantly, tense/fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Well, that is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

We always have one guy do the scores just the way you say. That's more or less how the score sheet works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't what you're suggesting exactly the same as having a score pad? you're not gaining any tactical advantage by seeing the blue disc is ahead, and there are no in-game points. The scorepad seems much faster and easier in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bullers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes the OUTCOME is the same, but as mentioned I was trying to nullify the sit in silence, then say a number phase, in preference for a communal "see the score position unveil", where different building types are scored, different players take the lead, you get to the end, maybe someone is in the lead, then you score the penalties, and oh-no, someone pipped you at the post. This is the kind of scoring I prefer.

I know its literally possible, Im just curious if that would produce enough of a 'horse race' to make for an exciting finish rather than an anticlimax, which is how I find scorepad finishes, or whether it might be too fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how having a score track would be any different than announcing scores.

Now, what might make things interesting is having each player decide what order they want their board to be scored and keep totals. This might avoid the anti climax as it's more difficult to glance at a board and assess the relative values of two different categories than identical categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you're looking for an exciting finish this isn't the game to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
What does the score track changes? In TTR you all have around 60 points, and when you count your tickets someone has 80 and others have 50, and then you say : oh then you win.It is the same.But yes Quadropolis is dull, i am selling mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could keep poker chips on hand and deal them out to people as they gain points. Then you can see how well people are doing but still have a little tension as 23 white chips and 3 red chips wouldn't be as easy to read as a number on a score track.

Everything is more fun with poker chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.