Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: LCG first timer here! Quick question about deckbuilding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Boutmans
msg tools
Hey all! So I never played an LCG before but I always wanted to try one. I did some research and saw that this was new (so I didn't have to invest a lot of money initially for expansions) and that it got good reviews. It arrived yesterday, played the first scenario and I love it. But I have a question that I didn't really found answered in the manual.

So I just started playing with the recommended starter deck for Roland. I love how you character gets exp from playing the scenario and getting the chance to upgrade or 'buy' new cards, or that certain cards are added because of a result of a scenario.

But what happens if you're already a few scenarios (or expansions) in and you have upgraded cards, added weaknesses because you took too much damage, ... And you want to rework your deck. Or you're just stuck because your deck isn't good enough. What happens to the experience points you have earned? Do I start from scratch? Do I just reset the exp, make a new base deck and add cards based on my already earned exp? Do I reset my entire campaign (I guess you would have to when you decide to change investigator)? How do you take in account the progress you made in your story?

I'm kind of stuck here. As I said I never played LCG's before and I don't really know how to move forward.

ps.: sorry if the text above doesn't make much sense, English is not my native language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Alder
United Kingdom

Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Once you've started a campaign you can only change the cards in your deck by spending XP or earning them during a scenario. Even should you wish to remove certain cards and then replace then with an equal number of zero cost cards, each card would still cost a minimum of 1XP.

Technically there is no official "deck reset" within the rules whilst mid campaign, sure you could house rule it if you are finding a specific scenario difficult but that's not in the spirit of the game as you'll essentially be rebuilding your character.

Always remember however that it's your game and if house ruling a deck/XP reset mid campaign means as a result that you enjoy the gameplay more then I say go for it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a co op so you can pretty much do what you like if it is too easy or hard, adjust the tokens in the bag.

Saying that the LCG format are campaigns, you build a deck for each investigator (following rules on back of the card) and play each linked scenario in turn, spending XP as you go. At the end probably investigator is suffering trauma so you retire that one and start a new one (with level zero cards) for the next campaign. Of course you can take an experienced investigator into a new one but success will depend on how battered they are and what weaknesses you've collected.

It's also possible to play a standalone mode game - see the rules reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not the intention of the designers that you rework your deck from scratch between scenarios. You honestly won't be changing it enough that it would ever really deviate far from the starting point. I don't think you'll hit a wall where your deck isn't good enough to play, just maybe not good enough to get the best outcomes, which is what replays are for!

Now, let's say your playing a campaign with Roland and he permanently dies. You don't have to start over, you can pick up from where you left off and use a new investigator with 0 xp at that point in the story.

Thematically, it would be like Skids, or whoever you chose, was friends with Roland and inherited his diary upon death. With gameplay, the lack of xp won't be that bad because you also don't have any extra weaknesses or trauma to offset it.

You could do what you said and start over, but I don't see that as necessary, and I believe the design of the game agrees with me.

Now, with all that said, by all means, play the game how you want. If you realize you have a terrible deck and know that changing 10 zero level cards will fix it... Well, go ahead and do it if it will increase your enjoyment. With the rollout of scenarios, you'll probably play each a few times while waiting for the next, and should do it however is best for you. Then when you think you are ready, you can take a great starting deck through an 8 scenario campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Boutmans
msg tools
So new deluxe expansions essentially start a new campaign wich allows you to rebuild/retire an investigator. The cards that are added in this expansion are than basic cards wich are added to your basic card pile where you construct your deck from, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubie wrote:
So new deluxe expansions essentially start a new campaign wich allows you to rebuild/retire an investigator. The cards that are added in this expansion are than basic cards wich are added to your basic card pile where you construct your deck from, yes?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubie wrote:

Yes each deluxe expansion will have a chunk of basic cards which you can use for deckbuilding - the first has 59 new cards. The first one will also have a five new characters - I expect new characters to be introduced with each deluxe expansion.

Each Mythos Pack (the small expansions that extend the campaign from the deluxe expansion) will also contain some (maybe 12 or 13 distinct) player cards for deckbuilding.

Both the deluxe expansions and mythos packs may have new weakness cards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As was mentioned above, feel free to use the standalone rules to build a custom deck. In a nutshell, you are given a certain amount of xp to build your deck. The more xp you use, the more basic weaknesses you will add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudeman Blarg
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As others have said, once you're in the middle of a campaign, any changes to your deck will cost XP. You can either replay from the start with a new deck, or continue on with your current deck and use XP to swap out cards.

To me, neither of those are ideal. I'll give it a shot for the first few runs, but sometimes I like to tweak decks, especially when new cards arrive. I might houserule this (might call it "Adaptable Houserule"): You can swap 0 level cards for free, and you can respec your XP between scenarios. But I'm one of those players that doesn't care about the narrative and the continuity, I just want to play fun decks and try out new things on a regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soullos wrote:
I might houserule this (might call it "Adaptable Houserule"): You can swap 0 level cards for free, and you can respec your XP between scenarios.

Or you could spend the Experience and proxy the previewed Adapatable that'll be in Miskatonic Museum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudeman Blarg
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
soullos wrote:
I might houserule this (might call it "Adaptable Houserule"): You can swap 0 level cards for free, and you can respec your XP between scenarios.

Or you could spend the Experience and proxy the previewed Adapatable that'll be in Miskatonic Museum.

Or, make it so everyone has Adaptable for free and thousands of them attached regardless of their class. No proxy needed (I named the house rule after this card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.