Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Gallagher
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How is this card of any use?! Really it would be a RARE case.
The Hungarian counter mix ensures it is useless. I can only assume that is on purpose.
If the Otts assault Belgrade, kill the one unit there and then proceed to Buda in the same turn, this card cannot be played.
If played earlier the Hungarians gain '1' regular strength point.
IF the Otts don't proceed to Buda, then the Hungarians can get three regulars, IF played in time. If played later in the game in a situation where the Haps have retaken Buda. but the odds against this having an impact are pretty low -NO? I am sure that people have SEEN it occur. but largely a lot if IFs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
CDR G wrote:
How is this card of any use?! Really it would be a RARE case.
The Hungarian counter mix ensures it is useless. I can only assume that is on purpose.
If the Otts assault Belgrade, kill the one unit there and then proceed to Buda in the same turn, this card cannot be played.

Such a blitzkrieg-style attack on Buda is quite rare. The Ottoman usually wants to take Belgrade in Turn 1, and he also wants to play his HC for the event. That means a Turn 1 Buda attack is only feasible if Ottoman has at least one 4CP card or better (assault Belgrade, move, flag, attack Buda).

CDR G wrote:
IF the Otts don't proceed to Buda, then the Hungarians can get three regulars, IF played in time.

This scenario presents the Ottoman player with a problematic situation: he now has to inflict 5 hits instead of 2 in his attack on Buda in order to defeat Hungary-Bohemia. That means he should on average attack with a stack of 13 units, and it will take him a while to build that.

CDR G wrote:
If played later in the game in a situation where the Haps have retaken Buda. but the odds against this having an impact are pretty low -NO? I am sure that people have SEEN it occur. but largely a lot if IFs.

It's quite often played after the defeat of Hungary-Bohemia to add 4 Ottoman regulars. Everybody can play it, so it's good for buying interesting events from the Sultan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kristian hit all the important points, but I'd like to emphasize that attacking Buda on T1 is usually suboptimal.

And yeah, Zapolya is more often played to help the Ottos, but it can be devastating for the Ottos if played before they take Buda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
If you're looking for cards that rarely-to-never get played for the event, set your sights on Pirate Haven which I don't think I've ever seen played for the event. Same for Huguenot Raiders, Philip of Hesse's Bigamy and Mary Defies Council but they enter later so that's somewhat more to be expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see deals made for Pirate Haven to be played for the event. In fact, I am the Ottomans in a game, and I gave the Protestants a card draw for them to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
requiem09 wrote:
I see deals made for Pirate Haven to be played for the event. In fact, I am the Ottomans in a game, and I gave the Protestants a card draw for them to play it.

Yeah, I've seen it done several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Such a blitzkrieg-style attack on Buda is quite rare. The Ottoman usually wants to take Belgrade in Turn 1, and he also wants to play his HC for the event. That means a Turn 1 Buda attack is only feasible if Ottoman has at least one 4CP card or better (assault Belgrade, move, flag, attack Buda).

Also, sometimes they don't want to take it on Turn 2 either. Often this gives the Hapsburgs an extra card, but not the Ottomans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
If you're looking for cards that rarely-to-never get played for the event, set your sights on Pirate Haven which I don't think I've ever seen played for the event. Same for Huguenot Raiders, Philip of Hesse's Bigamy and Mary Defies Council but they enter later so that's somewhat more to be expected.

I'm pretty sure I've seen all of those played for the event at least once, but they're certainly rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both Huguenot Raiders and Philip of Hesse's Bigamy at WBC. Raiders probably wasn't the smartest play since there are only 2 turns for it to take effect in though, even given that the Haps put out a Colony and Conquest during the opening turn.

The only events I'm 100% sure I've never seen played are Elizabeth and Lady Jane Grey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.