32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Sorry board game rule discrepancy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Carrington
msg tools
Playing Sorry Madagascar Edition we ran into a rule discrepancy.
A player drew a card that allows them to move each player back 4 spaces.
My player was in the safe zone but was moved a couple spaces out from safety. Another players piece was moved back 4 spaces and we both ended in the same space. Who kicks who back to start? There is no order to who gets moved back first. In the rules no two players can occupy the same space.
Thanks for any help to resolve this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Heathcon 2017 Jan 13th - 15th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 5 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say "You can move each of your opponents pawn back", so I would say that the player who played the card gets to determine the order, and thus who is kicked back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Mohaihai wrote:
Eternal8pcurr wrote:
My player was in the safe zone but was moved a couple spaces out from safety. Another players piece was moved back 4 spaces and we both ended in the same space. Who kicks who back to start? There is no order to who gets moved back first. In the rules no two players can occupy the same space.

Did you really come here and create an account just to ask this question?

Why not? How else could he ask a question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:

In the game's own forum here? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

he's a guy who created an account to ask a question about Sorry. what makes you think he saw anything other than a main forum with questions about board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

I'm not dissing him. I'm just curious about the why and the how.

How he got here in the first place. Did he know BGG or did he just Google 'Boardgame'. Then went trough the trouble of creating an account for a website he'll probably never use again. Post the question and just press F5 till someone answers. It just seems like a lot of trouble to go.

You really think there's nothing weird at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

I doubt he would have got a reply in 5 minutes in the Sorry! Madagascar Edition forums. Possibly not in 5 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohaihai wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

How he got here in the first place. Did he know BGG or did he just Google 'Boardgame'. Then went trough the trouble of creating an account for a website he'll probably never use again. Post the question and just press F5 till someone answers. It just seems like a lot of trouble to go.

Weird that someone with a boardgame question came to a boardgaming forum? No.

And I agree that, given the reception he got, he'll probably never return. Thanks for rolling out the red carpet.

To answer the OP's question, I'd guess that the order that players move back is up to the discretion of the player who drew the card. If he is allowed to move other players back four spaces, he probably gets to decide what order he chooses the people to go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As is often the case with rule disputes, it's possible that this was an appeal to an objective third party. So nothing weird about it from that point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
To answer the OP's question, I'd guess that the order that players move back is up to the discretion of the player who drew the card. If he is allowed to move other players back four spaces, he probably gets to decide what order he chooses the people to go back.

Alternatively, I'd go with clockwise order from the player who played the card. The rules really don't say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohaihai wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

Absolutely not. I can't count the number of times when designing security solutions I've needed to ask questions of special-interest groups, and usually their forums require registration before one can post, so I go ahead and register. It takes about 30 seconds, and then I have access to the knowledge of people with way more in-depth understanding of the subject area than I. Why wouldn't I do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:

Absolutely not. I can't count the number of times when designing security solutions I've needed to ask questions of special-interest groups, and usually their forums require registration before one can post, so I go ahead and register. It takes about 30 seconds, and then I have access to the knowledge of people with way more in-depth understanding of the subject area than I. Why wouldn't I do it?

I agree. Makes sense to come here. And maybe if we welcomed him and his question we could gain another valued member of the community. Everyone starts new here sometime.

I agree that the person making the decision of who to move should probably get to choose who gets booted out. Alternatively, when playing a game where we can't figure out a rule, if a vote remains tied, we usually give veto power to the person who owns the game (Munchkin rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

I do the same thing all the time when I have a specific engineering or manufacturing question.

I get alot of happy birthday emails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amish_rabbi wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

I do the same thing all the time when I have a specific engineering or manufacturing question.

I get alot of happy birthday emails.

LOL
I thought that was just standard in the internet era.

as for the original question, I second (third? fourth? seventy-eigth?) the idea that the person playing the card chooses the order, given no other rules direction on the matter (something like "all card effects happen in turn order")

edit: I checked the Sorry Madagascar forums but they are empty. Then I looked at other branded Sorry games to see if anything similar had come up, but didn't see anything. Then, since Sorry, is basically just a Ludo variant, i checked some Ludo forums but still didn't see anything. were I really dedicated and not prepping a Thanksgiving party, I could look in Parcheesi forums as well, but I suspect the issue is well passed at this point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
matthean wrote:

I doubt he would have got a reply in 5 minutes in the Sorry! Madagascar Edition forums. Possibly not in 5 months.

Always a possibility that another fan of the game has a subscription and can answer questions in a reasonable timeframe. I subscribe to games whose forums/etc haven't been touched in *years*. Just because it's not in your purview doesn't mean it's not in someone else's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Carrington
msg tools
Sorry everyone. I'm on my phone and googled game board rules. The site is gameboardgeek so I thought I was in the right place
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eternal8pcurr wrote:
Sorry everyone. I'm on my phone and googled game board rules. The site is gameboardgeek so I thought I was in the right place

you're close enough Pete. Hopefully it looks like you got an answer - and hopefully you'll be back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

This is absolutely the right place! Welcome to the site! Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

Hi Peter! Welcome to the site! Unfortunately, I don't have enough GeekGold to welcome you with an avatar, but have a microbadge on me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

Welcome to BGG, and don't mind the sourpusses up-thread who think it's weird to come to a board game site to ask a board game question.

Hopefully you'll stick around, and now you have a shiny new Geek Gold to entice you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohaihai wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Mohaihai wrote:
Eternal8pcurr wrote:

I don't. Any search term that hints at board games is going to bring back BGG on the first page. Those unfamiliar with the site (which is every single new visitor; I was confused here at first) might not know to search for a specific board game forum.

I'm far more forgiving to newly registered folks. The tone of your original reply, whether intended or not, was kinda mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

And I agree that, given the reception he got, he'll probably never return. Thanks for rolling out the red carpet.

I agree. What the hell, people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thunkd wrote:

saint1012 wrote:

I agree. What the hell, people?
Yeah! Since they're expected unto "Chit Chat" with this sort, because: 'Wookiee' Defense!

"RAWR!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the original question, it seems like a call for dice. Get some agreement on whether high or low roll gets screwed the worst, write it down, and keep it in the game owner's box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go in turn order whoever moves next moves back four then the next etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.