Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the latest rules update (1.2.1) we included a new variant where you must explore at least one Trap room per level in order to loot the Dungeon Level key needed to change floors. We feel it's a really neat small addition to the game, but what do you cool people think about it?! goo

Has anyone tried it so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet.

I've thought of a way to play the Thief and Key variants at the same time. Simply make the key findable if you fight the thief as well. That way, you are guaranteed for the key to be somewhere on the level, either at the traps or with the thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try it once, along with some other basic and Thief plays. The Key will occasionally force you to the traps and away from a preferred option, but I never suffered from such a choice. I did not find that it added much to the tension, so far. Next time I'll combine it with Thief and see if that increases the odds of unfavorable choices.

Aside, I want to bump the trap's Spring Blades damage up to level HP (on level 4, lose 4 HP, etc), as I think that will keep traps slightly dangerous with increasing levels, and thus keep some tension up. This would also affect playing with Keys.

And while I am playing with the OSR version, I am using the base rules for traps, which is to determine the trap first and then attempt to disarm it. I think that adds more to the feel of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually in the middle of a game using the Dungeon Key (sometimes I have to take a picture and pack it up for another day) and I agree with TTDG that it hasn't added much tension. I like the concept though - an extra objective to get on every level.

Just thinking out loud:

1 what if you didn't get the key automatically. Maybe you have to roll a 3 or better and if you fail, you suffer the trap effect again. You can roll again or move on and try the next area.
2 what if when you start a new dungeon level, you roll for placement of the key. The key is only in that area and you can have the rule above, OR if you get to the end of the area without picking up the key, you shuffle and go through that area again.
3 perhaps the monster in the area holds the key. Traps aren't too deadly, but having to defeat a scary monster could be.

I think the bottom line is that you need to make that key harder to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I like your first idea for an added challenge. In the end, we ended up scrapping the key variant for MR2 anyhow. Oh well. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.