Subject: Still not satisfied with enemy activtion rules in 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Okay so I'm still having trouble with enemy activation rules. They doesn't seem to specify which figures you activate first when you have multiples of the exact same enemies clustered around the tile.

The activation order comes down to:
1. Status (active/inactive)
2. Class specified on Darkness card (Boss, Minion, Captain, etc.)
3. Type (instinct, intellect, etc.)
4. Threat Range (highest to lowest).

Okay...but what if all 4 of those things are still tied? It's a pretty simple/common situation. If I have nothing but Crawlers in various clumps around the tile, which Crawlers go first?

It seems to me like it could make a difference because of the way the AI intelligence works. If the melee Crawlers activate before the ranged ones do, they might block LoS to the heroes and therefore fewer attacks will happen. It depends on the order, right?

I just don't see anywhere in the rules where it specifies how to decide which individual figures of the same monster type move in what order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1° all ennemies can shoot over other ennemies, there can't be any Los problem

2° there is a rule in the rulebook, you activate the enemy closest to a hero, and between the closest the one that is "most orthogonal" since the range in this game is counted 1 diagonal and 1 orthogonal sqare is 1 this rule make the ones in straight line a little closest to the ones in diagonal. There can be tie then, the rule is you choose wich one if there is an exact tie, personnaly i randomize between the ties if they are instinct, if they are intelligent i make the betted decision for them (i make them not loose attack if they can).
This rule is explained where they say you choose the "scout" i don't have access to the game manual here but you will find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Just start with whichever monsters are closest. If there are multiple choices, just do it in such a way that it will maximize enemy attacks. Then just do what ever feels most logical, just pick and dont get hung up on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use intelllect vs instinct for some if the fringe cases; if the have intellect I min/max their options, if instinct think endless, voracious hoard --have them cluster randomly and see what happens. Most of the time it won't have any real effect. If you get too invested in the mechanics, it can kill the cinematic fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Endevor wrote:

2° there is a rule in the rulebook, you activate the enemy closest to a hero, and between the closest the one that is "most orthogonal" since the range in this game is counted 1 diagonal and 1 orthogonal sqare is 1 this rule make the ones in straight line a little closest to the ones in diagonal. There can be tie then, the rule is you choose wich one if there is an exact tie, personnaly i randomize between the ties if they are instinct, if they are intelligent i make the betted decision for them (i make them not loose attack if they can).
This rule is explained where they say you choose the "scout" i don't have access to the game manual here but you will find it.

I appreciate the replies so far. Thanks.

It's not clear to me that the rules you mention apply to all enemies in general. Here is the section:

Quote:
"Enemies are usually moved individually. In the case of a group of minions of the same monster-type adjacent to each other, the minions are moved together as a minion group. When moving a minion group, the playhers choose the minion orthagonaly closest to a hero as shown in Example 2A. If more than aone hero is tied for the closest, the scout is determined by the enemy's priority. The chosen minion is referred to as the scout and moves first towards its target. After moving the scout, all minions adjacent to the scout's starting square are moved towards the same target.

Since this section starts with the qualifier "In the case of a group of minions of the same monster-type adjacent to each other", that leads me to believe that this doesn't necessarily apply to minions of the same monster-type that are not adjacent to each other. And what about captains of the same monster-type that are not adjacent to each other?

These very frequent cases do not seem to be dealt with in the rules.

Thanks for pointing out the line-of-sight rule though. Since melee enemies don't block ranged ones, I'm not sure how much the order that you resolve movement matters. But I still feel like it must matter a little since all of the other cases are dealt with explicitly.

As Deadwolf suggests, I can just go with whatever is closest. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing where this is specified in the rules.

I'm also frustrated about how embarrassingly un-polished this game is, considering how much time and effort has been spent on trying to fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warfinger wrote:
Endevor wrote:

I appreciate the replies so far. Thanks.

It's not clear to me that the rules you mention apply to all enemies in general. Here is the section:

Quote:
"Enemies are usually moved individually. In the case of a group of minions of the same monster-type adjacent to each other, the minions are moved together as a minion group. When moving a minion group, the playhers choose the minion orthagonaly closest to a hero as shown in Example 2A. If more than aone hero is tied for the closest, the scout is determined by the enemy's priority. The chosen minion is referred to as the scout and moves first towards its target. After moving the scout, all minions adjacent to the scout's starting square are moved towards the same target.

Since this section starts with the qualifier "In the case of a group of minions of the same monster-type adjacent to each other", that leads me to believe that this doesn't necessarily apply to minions of the same monster-type that are not adjacent to each other. And what about captains of the same monster-type that are not adjacent to each other?

These very frequent cases do not seem to be dealt with in the rules.

Thanks for pointing out the line-of-sight rule though. Since melee enemies don't block ranged ones, I'm not sure how much the order that you resolve movement matters. But I still feel like it must matter a little since all of the other cases are dealt with explicitly.

As Deadwolf suggests, I can just go with whatever is closest. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing where this is specified in the rules.

I'm also frustrated about how embarrassingly un-polished this game is, considering how much time and effort has been spent on trying to fix it.

Polished is a rlative term and for games it really depends on the base line and your gaming experience.

You can either go full rules lawyer and have a few hundred pages of law volumes like ASL series.

or

Go for a game like Pandemic with half adozen pages.

In between are RPG's and ameritrash etc.

A few decades or less back a game would be published and if the publisher had a house magazine maybe after a few months and over a few years rules questions would be answered and maybe a secon edition published.

These days we have instant access and probably overwhelm the publisher and expect instant updates.

MGC made no secret that it was a boardgame meets rpg sandbox style game that will develop over time .

Everyone expected more and they responded.

I think the core rules are fairly good now and have never had an isssue with moving the enemies. There is a set order you choose the closest as a scout and they all flow in , moving the ranged after the melee. Then onto the next goup.

Yse there are many out individal clarifications on some items and combos but I am sure they will come.

In the meantime enjoy the game and keep asking when you have issues and frutrations.

I suspect if you just start palying and work through the issues the right anwers will come but you have to engage with the theme and feel the narrative, that is what Myth is about. If however you cant do that and need a more euro type game then Myth may not be for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.