SwatSh
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

After reading the rules in English, I have 2 questions about Catacombs & Kiosk. Could you please help me?

1) Kiosk
To be certain to well understand, in a 2 players game for example, does it mean that the active player will realise 2 of the 3 kiosk tiles?

2)Catacombs
"You do not have any encounters there"
Does it mean that there must be no encounter or that you may not activate them ? For ex, if there is another merchant, you simply don't have to pay them? Is it that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
SwatSh wrote:
1) Kiosk
To be certain to well understand, in a 2 players game for example, does it mean that the active player will realise 2 of the 3 kiosk tiles?

Exactly.
In a 2 player game, the player activating it has the first choice among 3 tiles, then his opponent has the second choice between the 2 remaining tiles, then the activating player also takes the benefit of the last remaining tile.

Quote:
2)Catacombs
"You do not have any encounters there"
Does it mean that there must be no encounter or that you may not activate them ? For ex, if there is another merchant, you simply don't have to pay them? Is it that?

You move your stack on a tile of your choice, you don't activate that tile, you don't pay merchants of other players, and you can't encounter the Courier, Smuggler, Coffee Trader, or Governor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
You move your stack on a tile of your choice, you don't activate that tile, you don't pay merchants of other players, and you can't encounter the Courier, Smuggler, Coffee Trader, or Governor.

But you can deliver letters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
MoviinTarget wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

But you can deliver letters!

Yes! That's an important observation: it makes the Catacombs stronger than they appeared (to me) at first glance.

Also, rules as written, if you happen to have your Merchant, Companion, or Family Member on a place specified by one of your letters (either before or after your move), then you must deliver it (turning it on the 2-seals side).
I don't know if there could be any reasons for choosing to not doing so, but the rules strangely make it compulsory. My guess is that it provides a safe-guard for players that happen to forgot about delivering seals: making it a mandatory step allows them to deliver the letter later without being nagged by unsportsmanlike opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Also, rules as written, if you happen to have your Merchant, Companion, or Family Member on a place specified by one of your letters (either before or after your move), then you must deliver it (turning it on the 2-seals side).
I don't know if there could be any reasons for choosing to not doing so, but the rules strangely make it compulsory. My guess is that it provides a safe-guard for players that happen to forgot about delivering seals: making it a mandatory step allows them to deliver the letter later without being nagged by unsportsmanlike opponents.
Exactly!
If we had written "may deliver", many people would think about reasons, not to do so. And it really doen't make sense not to turn them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SwatSh
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clear for me now. Thank you all for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kelley
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
In response to the CATACOMBS, what if there is an opposing players Family Member located on the new tile that your Merchant stack teleports to?

I would imagine based on the zero interaction with everything else above, the Family Member would remain at the existing location and not get sent back to prison?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, the Family Member would not be returned to the Police Station.

According to my understanding, if the Family Member happened to be on the Catacombs tile instead, then they would be returned to the Police Station if you were to trigger the Catacombs with your Merchant Stack or Companion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about my last post, it may be correct only for moving your Companion...

Assume an opponent's family member was on the Catacombs tile.

- If you were to move to Catacombs with your Companion, then the Merchant stack would be moved and Companion would still be on Catacombs to send the family member back to the Police Station. No problem.

- If you were to move to Catacombs with your Merchant stack, then the Merchant stack would be moved to another tile (step 3. Action) before Other Encounters occur (Step 4). The Merchant would no longer be at the same location as the family member. Could the encounter still occur or not? I would expect not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jlwill wrote:
Thinking about my last post, it may be correct only for moving your Companion...

Assume an opponent's family member was on the Catacombs tile.

- If you were to move to Catacombs with your Companion, then the Merchant stack would be moved and Companion would still be on Catacombs to send the family member back to the Police Station. No problem.

- If you were to move to Catacombs with your Merchant stack, then the Merchant stack would be moved to another tile (step 3. Action) before Other Encounters occur (Step 4). The Merchant would no longer be at the same location as the family member. Could the encounter still occur or not? I would expect not...
No, there's no encounter then for the merchant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.