Hide
3 Posts

Triumph & Tragedy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Problem with not counting blockade for final total. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Under 2nd editition rules to decide who won at the end of the game you calculate production totals for production phase 46 without blockade effects.
This was intended to avoid 45 Dow's on the West as a "cheapo" way to reduce the Wests production base for the end calculation.
Now we have the problem that the West can Dow the Axis in 45 ( if resources should be the limiting factor ) without repercussions from the "self inflicted" blockade.
Any proposals to correct this ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haeberich wrote:
Under 2nd editition rules to decide who won at the end of the game you calculate production totals for production phase 46 without blockade effects.
This was intended to avoid 45 Dow's on the West as a "cheapo" way to reduce the Wests production base for the end calculation.
Now we have the problem that the West can Dow the Axis in 45 ( if resources should be the limiting factor ) without repercussions from the "self inflicted" blockade.
Any proposals to correct this ?

I don't have a lot of experience with the rules yet, but I'm not convinced this needs fixing.

1. Is it really that common for the Axis player to reach '45 without being at war?

2. This is already something that exists in the first edition rules. The USSR always had exactly the same incentive to declare war on the Axis in '45 and cause this production drop. The West also had the same incentive as long as they felt that they could break any Axis blockade.

The blockade worry for the West is gone now, but that at best means that one of the Axis' two rivals now has a slightly greater incentive to declare war in a fairly niche situation. That doesn't seem particularly game-breaking - I suppose it means that the Axis should put a slightly greater priority on acquiring resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools

To 1)
This problem arose during my last ( notabely first ) game under second edition rules.
See session report.
Depending on the metageme the Axis can reach 45 without war quite often.

To 2)
If you look at it as another boost for the West it should be ok.
Just note that the West thanks to its colonies usually has no problems with resources.
The same is true in a lesser case for the Soviets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.