$60.00
$20.00
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I bought and painted up the boys above to play in the I-pad (only) campaign, Return to Kalidus. Life intervened (i.e, I was distracted by other shiny objects), and I only got around to playing it yesterday. With my less than co-operative 13 year-old son (to coerce him into playing, I had to let him buy the latest Call of Duty DLC). So, by my reckoning, to play this ONE mission cost me: $80 for COD DLC + $50 for Wolf Guard Terminators + $15 for I-pad mission + $100 for Space Hulk game = $245. And, I lost. Badly!

Anybody else played any of these missions? They seem like a very steep climb for the Space Wolves. You only ever get one squad. SW's get ONE unique weapon, the Frost Axe. Otherwise, they have no special abilities, except the Pack Leader is a bit better than a typical Sergeant. Good, but not THAT good. The grubbies always get a whole bunch of blips.

In the first mission, Genestealers start with two blips off-board, and get two per turn. If you count up the number of squares between the closest place the SW Boarding Torpedo can impact, to the mission objective console, the SW's start at least 3 turns away. Do the math and that's 2 blips + 2 blips x 3 turns = 8 Blips x 1.5 Genestealers/blip (on average) = A LOT of Genestealers. But, that's not counting on Genestealers clogging corridors. But, is counting on maxing out on Command Points each turn. So, an unrealistic best case. Good luck wit dat.

Now, I'm not one to brag, but I'm not the worst Space Hulk player I know. For the record, the worst I know is my best friend who lost an entire squad of FIVE Terminators in TWO turns to ONE Genestealer! Second worst is my other best friend who uttered mid-game, "Wow, I remember this game being harder for the Marines." He then promptly lost his entire squad in the next two turns to the effects of crumbling infrastructure (the scenario where the Space Hulk is progressively coming apart). Now, I do suck beyond measure when we use the timer. So, we DON"T use the timer (MY game, MY rules). Anyway, despite my obvious-to-only-me expertise, I got tabled. And, it did not take very long. Oh, the Humanity! Not nearly enough firepower, way more than enough Genestealers. If you think this game favors the Space Marines, Big Boy, try this scenario.

Anyone else have experience with this beast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a steep bill.

I doubt I'll ever see the I pad missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OH, well...

IF the Space Wolves' boarding torpedo impacts closer. And, IF the Genestealer Player draw three "1" Blips in a row. And, IF the SW Player draws "6" Command Points on the first two turns. Then I suffer another embarrassing defeat, this time as Genestealer Player. Oh, the Xenosity!

However, all is not lost. Feeling quite saucy, the young one suggested we try four scouts and two Terminators. Genestealer Player Blips are "1" is a Hormagaunt. "2" is a Genestealer. "3" is a Termagant. Yeah, I lost again as Genestealer. But we had fun.

We've tried alternative models, before. With mixed results. Most rules for alternate figs stick with the basics for close combat. Genestealers (3D6) and Termagants (1D6). Basically, the base game pits Apex fighters against each other. That's all well and good. But, it forces lesser combatants to have to accept negative modifiers. Which are fussy and futile. We went that direction. But, my son didn't like it. He suggested just boosting by one the number of combat dice each big boy rolls. I know the math is sketchy, but the effect as satisfying. So, in close combat :

Genestealer vs Terminator (3D6)
Genestealer vs all else (4D6)
Terminator vs Genestealer (1D6)
Terminator vs all else (2D6)
Scouts vs Genestealer (1D6)
Scouts vs Gaunts (2D6)
Termagant vs all (1D6)
Hormagaunt vs all (2D6)
(Adding extra dice, and adjusting the number of dice rolled for the enemy type is possibly revolutionary.)

Weapons and Veteran modifiers apply. As do special rules like Parry and Storm Shields.

Shooting is right outta Campaigns. Cause it works.

Am I suggesting changing the basic game (Genestealers vs Terminators)? Hell, NO! I'm not worthy! Besides, no need to fix what ain't broke. I'm just knocking around an idea that gets rid of negative modifiers for other, lesser figs like Scouts, minor Tyranids, and probably Hybrids and Power Armor Marines. And, keeps things simple (more or less). So, just an idea that needs a little work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought some of the lesser figs got more APs for movement and could turn for free or some such in the GW mags during first edition. I could be wrong and recalling someone's homegrown rules. If I'm recalling correctly the extra movement help out even with the minuses to combat.

I'll have to dig them out and look, it's been a long time.

Never mind. I found your discussion in the PA thread. I should have known you knew about the the movement bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.