Hide
3 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: My idea of campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennet Lander
msg tools
Hi all! Firstly, my English isn´t good, so I apologize for the errors you´ll find.

I´ve been working on a campaign mode for SOTM that catches the melodramatic style we find in the comic-book plots. I mean, my goals are:

-that each campaign has clear victory conditions dependent on the outcome of each game, and clear defeat conditions too.

-that each game creates consequences in later games,

-that each game can develop a personal plot about each hero,

- and we can learn and create stories about the heroes and villains similar to the ones used in comics.

So, I’ve added some concepts. In my opinion, a good comic storyline mixes the villain´s evil schemes, the personal evolution of the heroes and tons of melodrama and narrative. My campaign mode gets these three aspects by three mechanics:

A)the villain´s evil scheme is perfect: it´s so very near close to being completed that only needs a number of objectives to reaching it (I’m testing five objectives).

The final showdown is ensured and the villain will start it with all the aces in his hand (I mean, unfair mechanical advantages like extra HP, extra cards in play from the beginning of the game, advanced mode, …) , but there is hope: per each objective the villain doesn’t get, he loses one of the unfair advantages.

Each game, therefore, involves one villain objective and some heroes avoiding it, and the entire campaign involves the preparation of the climax, the final showdown.

B)Only a limited group of heroes can stop it. So, there is a limited roster of heroes for the entire campaign (I’m testing 6 initial heroes), but the roster can grow if some things happens in the game.

At the beginning of a game each player must choose a Plot Deck to play on top of her Hero Deck. A Plot Deck has a thematic comic-book feel( they have names as “Year One”, “Sidekick” or “Rivalry”), and it allows you tell and play a story about your hero by some modular beginnings, developments and endings to choose.

The Plot Decks can have consequences in the following games: they can make a new hero appears, or remove a hero; they can change a hero power base or create a new nemesis relationship between villain… The interesting thing is that the heroes will live experiencies that you will can choose (more or less), that that experiencies will change the following games, and that we will get different stories about the heroes.

C)Narrative, coherence and melodrama… To get these I have two methods:

- Firstly, the aftermath of a game (if the objective was avoided by the heroes, and their remaining HP) is brought to the following games, and some Plot Decks endings introduce new cards in the Hero Decks or drive to other specific Plot Decks.

- Secondly, between games each hero regains only 10HP, but in the set-up phase of a game there are a list of questions that allow regaining more HP to a player if they are answered by this player: “Why does (the villain) want to capture (environment or any hero) this game?", ”How does (hero) meet (hero)?”, “What is afraid (your hero) most about (following hero)?”…

In addition, one time per round, when a Plot Card is played its player can narrate what this card means in the fiction to regain 1HP: What does “A dark pact” mean, from the Sidekick Plot Deck? It’s in your hand: at the end of the game, if you said meaningful things, all the players will leave the table with a little story about the game and your heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennet Lander
msg tools
The Campaign Mode is in construction, so I’ll show you about the Plot Decks, because they are playable even without the campaign rules.

In the Set Up phase you place the new Fan Mail Deck next the Environment Deck. The Fan Mail Deck represents the Sentinels Comics marketing plan, it´s played in the Environment Turn instead the Environment Deck, and it controls when a Plot Card or an Environment Card must be played. My actual version of this deck is this:

Set Up
Put the Fan Mail Deck next to the Environment Deck.

Gameplay
In the play phase of the Environment turn play a Fan Mail Card instead an Environment Card.

If a Plot Card must be played by a player and that player can´t do it, this card deals 3 sales damage to his hero.

If a sales damage is dealt, this damage is irreducible and it can´t be redirected, prevented changed the type by any means. A hero only can be immune from sales damage by a Fan Mail Card.

Cards
Fan Complaints(x8)

-More drama, please! (x2) Complaint

The H-1 players with less Plot cards in play, play a tragedy card.
If any player can’t do it, this player draw a Plot Card.
--------

-Where is the action?! (x2) Complaint

The H-1 players with less Plot cards in play, play a feat card.
--------

-This sucks! The plot doesn´t progress!! (x2) Complaint

The H-1 players with less Plot cards in play, play a development card.
--------

-You´re extending the story to much! (x2) Complaint

The H-1 players with less Plot cards in play, play an ending card.
Style (x4)
--------

-Golden Age (x1) Style

When this card enters in play, destroy other style card in play .
+1 damage dealt to non-Hero and non-Villain character cards. This damage is irreducible.

The H-1 players with less Plot cards in hand draw a Plot card.
Play an Environment Card
--------

-Silver Age (x1) Style
When this card enters in play, destroy other style card in play.

At the end of the Environment turn play an Environment Card.
--------

-Bronze Age (x1) Style

At the end of Environment turn the player with less Plot Cards in play draw a Plot Card and play a Plot Card. If a tragedy card is played this way, destroy this card. If don´t, this card deals 3 sales damage to this player.
--------

-Iron Age (x1) Style

Increase the melee, projectile and energy damage by 1.

Play an Environment Card
--------

-How much latent sexism!(x1) Style, complaint

All female targets are immune from sales damage and reduce the first damage dealt per turn by 1.

Play an Environment Card.
--------

-…it would be better with… MONKEYS! (x1) Style, complaint

Heroes become immune from sales damage.

All damage change its type to melee and it´s increased by 1.

Play an Environment Card.

“The Golden Monkey Goddess transformed all into worth gladiators for pleasure”.
--------

- Team Up!(x1) Style
The two heroes with less HP become immune from sales damage and draw a card, play a card and play a power in the order they choose.

The damage dealt by non-hero targets is redirected to second less HP hero, reduced by 1.

Destroy this card at the start of the Environment Turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennet Lander
msg tools
As you can see, the Fan Mail Deck tells when the things happens to the heroes, but what happens exactly is up to you: the Plot Decks propose specific situations about a theme and you decide what concrete situations you want your hero lives.

There is basic an advance Plot decks, and their cards can have several types: tragedy, feat, beginning, development or ending. I have two decks tested: Sidekick and Year One.

Setup

Before the villain setup phase each player choose an eligible Plot Deck: any basic Plot Deck or an Advanced Plot Deck if a player has an ending card that unlocks it.

Before the first villain turn reveal cards up you find 2 beginning cards, put one in play and the other in trash. Search in the Plot Deck the remaining beginning cards and put them in the trash. Shuffle de Plot Deck.

Gameplay

The Plot Cards are indestructible.

Draw or play a Plot Card only when a Fan Mail Card tell you.

You only can play an ending card if there is a development card in play.

When you have an ending card in play you can´t play or draw Plot cards and you become immune from sales damage.

Sidekick Plot Deck

Beginnings(x3)

-The world´s greatest fan (sidekick, beginning, feat) 6PH

This card is a hero target.

At the end of your turn you may draw 2 cards. If you do, villain deals 1 projectile damage to this card. If you don´t, reveal the first card of a deck and replace it.

If this card arrives to 0hp or less, this card deals H+2 sales damage to your hero. Then remove it, remake the Plot Deck and set it up again.

Art: Legacy, dressed as normal people, tries to go unnoticed while the fan follows him with a newspaper with a Legacy´s photo in it.

Quote: Fan: “Mmm… he could be… Aha!”
--------

-The maverick (sidekick, beginning, feat) 6PH
This card is a hero target.

At the end of your turn you may allow this card destroys one of your cards or deals 2 psychic damage to your hero. If you do, this card deals 1 melee damage to all the villain targets.

If this card arrives to 0hp or less, this card deals H+2 sales damage to your hero. Then remove it, remake the Plot Deck and set it up again.

Art: Maverick is forcing entry to Mr. Fixer´s house. Mr. Fixer is behind, unnoticed.

Quote: Mr Fixer:“Have you finished?”
--------

-The victim (sidekick, beginning, feat) 6PH

This card is a hero target

At the end of your turn discard the top card of your deck. If you do, this card regains 2HP.

Art: Nightmist talks to policeman. The victim is seated, wrapped in a blanket.

Quote: Policeman: “The cult is over but the kid´s parents are…”
Nightmist: “That´s my responsibility”
--------

Developments

-Outstanding disciple (development, feat)
Reveal cards up to you find a one-shot, place it next to this card and shuffle the other revealed cards.

At the end of your turn you may play the one-shot as a Plot Card. If you do, this card deals 1 melee damage to the sidekick and you may reveal and place another one-shot.

Art: the victim is casting a spell and several Blade´s grunts fly along. Nightmist smiles, proudly.

Quote: Nightmist: “I taught this to her”
--------

-Her own resources(development, feat)

When a target from this deck deals damage it applies the type of damage more harmful.

Art: Maverick in a flying kick against a Voss’ Genebound, while shoots him in the face with a pain spray.

Quote: Mr. Fixer: “I´ve never taught this to her!”
--------

-Endangered!(development, tragedy)

The sidekick card can´t deal damage.

At the beginning of each hero turn this hero can discard a card and put it under this card as blank and out of play card. When H+2 cards are under this card, destroy it and destroy all the cards beneath.

At the end of your turn the villain deals 2 melee damage to the sidekick card.

Art: the fan is scarred, chained in a sewer. Plaguerat´s ominous shadows is in the wall.

Quote: Plague Rat: ”Delicious!”
--------

-Dark pact (development, tragedy)

You may destroy any card put in play from your deck. Then, your sidekick deals X times 2 infernal damage to your hero, where X is the number of remaining cards from your deck in play.

Sidekick card regains 5HP.

Art: the victim, on her knees, offers Nightmist´s ring and amulet to Gloomweaver. The demon laughs.

Quote: Gloomweaver: ”Such a good presents for your progenitors? Deal!”
--------

-Perverted lessons (development, tragedy)

At the end of your turn a target from this deck deals 1 projectile damage to the non-hero target with less HP.

If a target damaged this way has 2HP or less destroy it and a target from this deck deals 2 psychic damage to your hero.

Art: Maverick hides a gun in her sweatshirt while Fixer is preparing to patrol with her.

Quote: Fixer:“Are you ready?”
Maverick: “Yeah!”
--------

-Who´s worthy of the cape? (development, tragedy)

This card deals 3 psychic damage to the sidekick card, your hero and another hero.

You may discard up to 2 cards to reduce this damage by 1 per each card discarded this way.

Art: the fan and Beacon furiously discuss while Legacy tries to calm them.

Quote: Beacon: “You have not powers!”
Fan: “I deserve it!”
--------

-Lure (development, feat)

The villain character deals 2 energy damage to the sidekick card and she can´t play cards until the end of her turn.

Then the villain may deal 1 psychic damage to sidekick card and to your hero. If any damage is dealt this way, increase the next damage against this villain by 3.

Art: the fan is obviously disguised as Legacy and Blade looks to him with suspicion, while Legacy is about to ambush the villain.
--------

-Out of control (development, tragedy)

At the end of your turn a target from this deck deals 1 melee damage to X non-hero targets where X is a number you choose.

Then, a target from this deck deals 1 melee damage to the same number of non-villain targets.

Art: Maverick is about to kill a Pike´s gangster with her punches. Fixer grasp her wrist.

Quote: Fixer: “You´ll prefer not have taken that road”
--------

-You´re an addict! (development, tragedy)

This card deals X psychic damage to your hero where X is the number of feat cards in your play zone.

At the end of your turn you may put the top card of your deck beneath this card. If you don´t this card deals 1 toxic damage to the sidekick card. When 3 cards are beneath this card, this card loses its text.

Art: Nightmist surprise the victim, that is cutting her forearm: she has a lot of scars.

Quote: Nightmist: “How long have you done this!?”
--------

-A new beginning (ending, feat)

You may draw a card or regain 1HP per each Plot card in your play area.

Campaign: you can add a new hero to the campaign hero roster.

Art: the fan has grown. It´s taking a bus and he´s saying good-bye to a proud Legacy and Beacon.

Quote: Beacon: ”Go get them!”
--------

-Until the bitter end (ending, tragedy) 15HP

Put this card on top the sidekick card, that loses its text.

This card is a villain target.

At the end of your turn this card deals 3 projectile damage to the hero with highest HP.

All the cards from this deck change the words “villain” per “hero” and “no-hero” per “non-villain”.

Campaign: keep this card in the Setup Deck. If you play this card from the Setup Deck, you may choose the advance Plot Deck “Redemption” or “Revenge”.

Art: the maverick has a gun on the Fixer´s temple, that has been battered by a smiling Operative.

Quote: Fixer: “You don´t have to do it”
Maverick: “I told you: I´m a scorpion”
--------

-A death in the family (ending, tragedy)

All the Plot cards from this deck in play lose their text, except this card.

+1 damage deal by you, +1 damage dealt to you.

Increase by X the next damage you deal and the next damage dealt to you, where X is the number of tragedy cards in play from this deck.

Campaign: keep this card in your hero deck. Next time this hero were chosen his player must choose between the “Revenge” or “Retired” Plot deck.

Art: Nightmist holds the victim´s corpse while she cries and shouts. Behind her, an eldritch storm awakens and Gloomweaver looks worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.