Subject: Skills Question: Does Jinx cancel Support? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Sherman
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
This question came up playing the scenario 'In the Heart of Darkness' where Belit, Conan, Shevatas and the Dark Demon all shared a space.

Text from the 'Miscellaneous Skills' English rules card below:

Jinx: Enemy characters in this character's area cannot reroll dice.

Support: Friendly characters in this character's area can reroll 1 extra die for each of their actions.

Q: Does the Dark Demon's Jinx skill cancel Belit's Support skill?

We house ruled 'yes' after deciding that the Support description seemed to indicate it only adds an additional die for friendly rerolls IF rerolls were possible and in this case they were not due to Jinx.

Thoughts?

PS: My group is in love with this game and our sessions, for the most part, have been a blast to play with the exception of some screeching stops in flow due to rules arbitration. Really looking forward to v2 English rule set and hope it allows us to get back to playing this amazing system and setting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
That's how I would rule it. Support adds a reroll, Jinx does not allow rerolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading of the rule suggests that Jinx overrides Support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Gruntsalot wrote:
Q: Does the Dark Demon's Jinx skill cancel Belit's Support skill?

Yes. With the Jinx skill no re-roll of any sort allowed !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Sherman
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the input guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule-of-thumb in games, though one that isn't clarified in as many as it should be, is "can not" takes priority over "can", unless it's specifically mentioned in the "can" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
As a general rule-of-thumb in games, though one that isn't clarified in as many as it should be, is "can not" takes priority over "can", unless it's specifically mentioned in the "can" rule.

A slightly different formulation, which is made explicit (IIRC) in Eldritch Horror, is that restriction trumps permission. i.e. any rule which says that you "may" or "can" do something is trumped by a rule which says you "can not" do that same thing.

It seems reasonable to me to apply that to any game which doesn't itself explicitly rule otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

A slightly different formulation, which is made explicit (IIRC) in Eldritch Horror, is that restriction trumps permission. i.e. any rule which says that you "may" or "can" do something is trumped by a rule which says you "can not" do that same thing.

It seems reasonable to me to apply that to any game which doesn't itself explicitly rule otherwise.

Funnily enough, that's the game that I was thinking of that clarified it particularly well - I just couldn't remember the exact terms they used, and CBA to go and get my rulebook to check, hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.