Ryan Tullis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahoy!

I recently picked up Mini Metro on Steam and have been loving it. Trying to create the best routes for passengers to get to their unique destinations is a joy. Anyway, I would love a board game with a similar feel, one I can play with my wife and friends. We're all board gamers, but I'd still like nothing over medium complexity. I've played the base game of Ticket to Ride, and while it was enjoyable, it didn't scratch the exact itch I'm looking for. I've heard other maps (like Europe) are better, especially for fewer players.

Obligatory recent and overall favorite board games list to give an idea of what weight/style I'm used to:

Cosmic Encounter
Tigris and Euphrates
Jaipur
Traders of Osaka
Chinatown
Fairy Tale
Baseball Highlights 2045

I know BGG has a passionate group of enthusiasts for train/transportation style games, so thank you ahead of time for helping me out!

Cheers,

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm still awaiting my copy, but perhaps Tramways? It may be a little heavier than what you are looking for though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AD .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game Light Rail visually looks similar, but it looks more like a pipe building game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Mini Metro has a speed element, so it would be difficult to get that same feeling from a board game.

Route building, passenger delivering. The only ones I can think of are sadly Out Of Print:
On the Underground
Bus
Ticket to Ride: Märklin

You should also look at these train/delivery games, they may be what you're looking for:
Kings of Air and Steam
Railways of the World
Steam
Via Nebula

Lighter, route-building games:
Elfenroads
The Great Heartland Hauling Co.
Expedition: Famous Explorers
TransAmerica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I was just thinking the other day how you could abstract Mini Metro into a card or board game. Here are some ideas I came up with:

card/set collection element (expanding your lines? Maybe have two or three options on each card so you have agency and aren't railroaded into one potential path). You could lay out each of your lines in front of you.

passenger cards that you draw? maybe a passenger needs to get from square to circle on the red line, so you need to build out that line to connect square and circle. unlike the game, these could be like goal cards that are worth differing amounts of VP based on difficulty?

connection cards -- cards that let you connect two lines, opening the door to trickier (multi-color goal cards). I'm thinking goal cards would have to be seeded so they get harder and harder (and more valuable).

some sort of time-based element -- perhaps you have only ten seconds to choose where to lay a card. Or everyone does it in realtime and whoever does it last incurs a slight penalty?

I don't know, lots to kick around for a game here. You could also throw in obstacles (rivers, tunnels, etc). Maybe I should start a WIP thread. . .

What do you think, OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barton
England
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really that much like Mini Metro I guess, but how about String Railway?

Bonus fact, I used to drive an Austin Mini Metro. I imagine the game is a LOT more fun than the car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Empire Builder if you aren't afraid of a 3-5 hour game. It's got the pick-up and deliver mechanism as well as track laying. You draw cards from a deck which are demand cards that have three different demands on them, and you choose one from that card to complete based on what you have access to. It moves a little slow at the start of the game but it picks up as you expand your rail network and start making money. I used to play this with my family when we had a lot of time to kill (like during a snowstorm or on a holiday). It's fairly simple to play, but it takes a few plays to determine what the best strategy is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you're still looking for this, but I actually started a WIP based off of Mini Metro. I'd appreciate your feedback if you're still around: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24427370#24427370

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.