Rodrigo Aragon
msg tools
Im undecided in which game to choose(Mage knight, temple of elemental evil ir pathfinder wrath of the righterous acg)and i need some thoughts from people who owns or played them
Im looking forward to this:
-A good solo game
-also taking into account multiplayer of course
-the character development aspect
-is the gameportable or easy to carry?
-or does it need a big gametable for the components?
-is it hard to learn?
-is it fun to play?
-and last but not least, how much does the appeal last until it starts feeling stale?

The reason of this post is that i want to buy one of those three but i travel a lot and i dont have a lot of peple to play boardgames, but when we play ir tends to be a real madness (in the good way)so thats why i make this post

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Mage Knight is the KING of solo gaming.

Warning : Very hard to learn. Impossible to master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Mage Knight is the best, but it definitely isn't easy. Get ready for a long but awesome ride.

TOEE is alright. PACG is a snorefest. Long live Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is the best of all those. I recommend Ricky Royal's youtube playthrough to learn the rules (it's what made me rebuy the game after I'd already given up on it once! That was three years ago and it's still a fantastic affair)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-A good solo game
I think all three are good solo games.

-also taking into account multiplayer of course
Mate Knight is the worst for multiplayer of the three because there is a lot of downtime between turns. Pathfinder is the best multiplayer because you can get other players to help shuffle the cards.

-the character development aspect
i think Pathfinder has the best character development. You can really watch your character grow in power throughout the campaign. Character development exists in ToEE but it is minor.

-is the gameportable or easy to carry?
None of these three are very portable. They are all large boxes. I think Mage Knight is the smallest of the three.

-or does it need a big gametable for the components?
Again, they all take up a decent amount of space. Pathfinder might have the smaller footprint, depending on the number of players.

-is it hard to learn?
ToEE is clearly the easiest to learn. Mage Knight is the hardest, and Pathfinder is in the middle.

-is it fun to play?
They are all fun to play, but my favorite is Pathfinder.

-and last but not least, how much does the appeal last until it starts feeling stale?
For Pathfinder, you want to buy the entire campaign, which means buying expansion decks 2-6. Once you have done that, there is a large amount of replay ability. You may want to go through the campaign multiple times with different characters. ToEE was fun going through the campaign, but once done, I did not feel the need to go through it again. I do not own Mage Knight and have only played it a couple of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I second everything Broggi just posted, plus this caveat: Wrath of the Righteous may not be the best point to jump on. It's considered to be the most advanced version so far, even including the just released Mummy's Mask. Of course, that may be a plus for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK is clearly the best solo game of the three by a wide margin. It's not the best choice for multi-player games, though.

ToEE would be way better for that, but it's also (a lot) simpler.

Another good multi-player choice might be Legends of Andor; it's also quite simple but more like a puzzle.

Pathfinder is simply not a good game, although it has a decent character advancement.

However, there's the brand-new Arkham Horror: The Card Game. It's definitely the most portable, works well as either solo or multi-player co-op and has great character advancement / campaign play.
So, that would be my recommendation given your list of requirements!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Aragon
msg tools
I have 2 dungeon command sets, can they provide more variety to the gameplay? Because i dont want to be buying expansions every month, i want a long lasting game (looking forward to mk or toee now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yigo17 wrote:
I have 2 dungeon command sets, can they provide more variety to the gameplay?
Well, I consider two sets the bare minimum to enjoy the game. There won't be enough material to have a lot of variety, though. I have one copy of each of the five available sets and that's barely sufficient to create two custom warbands. Ideally, you want to have at least two copies of a set for that.

If you don't play it regularly and aren't interested in customizing warbands, you may have sufficient variety with one copy of each set. Then you can have 10 different basic matchups and swap Commanders for some additional variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Aragon
msg tools
Sorry i meamt for temple of elemental evil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yigo17 wrote:
Sorry i meamt for temple of elemental evil
Ah, I see.
Well, you get a bunch of additional monsters that may show up.

What makes things a bit tricky for ToEE is that it supports campaign play, so it includes two versions of each included monster: a basic version and an elite version for higher-level play.

The Dungeon Command sets only have a basic version of the monsters. I suppose you could come up with your own Elite version of them, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.