Popular Tags: [View All]
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially, as with his Napoleonics, I didn’t think that WWI would translate to the Command and Colours system. As before, I was proven wrong and happy to be so. It plays easily and the rules seem to flow nicely with very little look up required. However (you knew that was coming), I do have some strong issues with the game package and components – here we go:

First is cost. Being in Canada and on a limited disability pension, I have to be very aware of costs and prices of games from outside the country. I’ve had to cancel recent P500 orders due to our currency falling down the toilet. This game at around $100 is just way overpriced for what it is and unfortunately just out of reach for me. I personally would expect a purchase price of around $50-60 at most for what is supplied.

The cards are nicely done, but the wording is a bit small for older eyes. I certainly would sleeve these as this is a game that would get played at lot – by me anyway. The board is what one would expect – nothing to write home about, but serviceable. The chits are a good size and nice and think – a nice thing indeed. The rules and player aids are very good and easy to use and work with. The rules especially are well put together and with very few ambiguities that I found.

My biggest gripe is reserved for the figures themselves. Supplying them on their sprues is just terrible – certainly for the cost of purchase. Come on guys! Just supply them already clean and bagged. No broken bayonets or any cost of replacement to you. I also find the look of the miniatures rather poor and the German mortar team especially bad. Just small blobs of plastic. I really would expect much better for the money.

In closing though, although this may seem like a litany of woe, it really isn’t. I really do like the game and the possibilities presented by this basic starter kit. The game plays well and is something I would put on my table again and again. Unfortunately, the cost is prohibitive and what you get for the money is poor and sparse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can agree with a few things.

First, that I was delighted by how "different" it feels from other C&C games and how well it plays.

Second by the fact that the rules are pretty well done-- I'd give them a 9 for completeness and an 8.5 for clarity. A few tweaks and they'd be great.

I can't agree that the product is greatly overpriced. The map board is far beyond "what one might expect." It is very thick and heavy and the printing is crisp. And it is printed on both sides, which adds to cost as well, but they rightfully feel that if you are playing the 'open field' scenarios that are not trenchlines and mud, it looks better seeing them on green. C&C Ancients gave us nothing but tan-- C&C Napoleonics gives us nothing but green. Neither has the texture or sense of dimension that the GW map offers.

I grant that the German mortar is extremely disappointing and probably the worst figure in the game. It's a slight game advantage for the German, perhaps, because it's so 'blah' that the opposing player can easily forget that its there (but the owner might also). The German MG is not nearly as "nice" as the British, and one could say that about all the figures. Given the origin, it's not that hard to understand that they put more 'love' into the British figs.

I can't agree with the expectation that they just HAVE to provide the figs off sprues. Yes, some companies do that. Find one doing it without producing it in China.

Quote:
Come on guys! Just supply them already clean and bagged. No broken bayonets or any cost of replacement to you.

Possibly they can get their elves to "just supply them already clean and bagged." That is a significant expense for any company paying more than slave wages.

Talk to them about a slight change in their "formula" for the plastic, so it is less brittle. Talk to them about why ALL the British infantry has bayonets fixed and zero of the German infantry does (see above-- 'love'). Talk to them about the wisdom of casting so that bayonets are the main connecting point with the sprue on most-- though not all-- the figures.
There are things which could make this easier, but I think they aren't ever going to "just supply them clean and bagged."

Fwiw, I've played a lot and even transported the game by airplane twice and have not seen any figures break once they came off the sprue. So it's sturdy plastic when you do get it out of the sprue.

Yes, all the cardboard components are large and very thick. Some are larger than they 'need to be' but it's overall a nice effect. The die cutting is also excellent and parts come out easily. Thick counters/good die cutting does add to the cost.

The player aid charts are good quality but could be smarter graphically. Here's hoping player input helps there.

I can't fathom why a game that has all this, and-- maybe even more important- "plays well" and "would put on my table again and again" can be slammed because of the cost, which you say "just out of reach." I'd gladly pay a little more for a game that I know I will play again and again, and TGW is one of them.

Side note-- it's hardly fair blaming a game company for current national currency fluctuations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like BattleLore (Second Edition) did it right. Lesser cost but great map and minis and components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I don't blame the company for the currency issues of import duties etc. Just my opinion based on my own circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe find a buddy in he US who can buy it and meet him at the border?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP: If you're on a limited income, keep an eye out for a used copy or a trade. Maybe get in on next year's Secret Santa or join a Math Trade group. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe someone may make me a great Xmas present - PSC are you listening?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think the base game is expensive, try to buy the Tank Expansion. I used cardboard cut outs with fansite copied rules and scenarios for quite a while at first! You can find these at www.commandsandcolors.net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is exactly what I would do. That is a great resource site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.