Subject: Questions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A couple of questions, since I am very interested in the game:
What is the the game in solo mode (solitaire)?
I read that it is part of a "collection" (bios: megafauna, origins...), means that the game will be able to continue with a following game (Bios: Megafauna)?
I see that the game contains two cards with errors in this edition, it is correct?
There will be more editions?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In solitaire mode, one player runs two player colours, and the other two colours are used as very simple AI.

The "AI" are restricted to Parasites, and basically provide another difficulty to overcome (On the simplest level, parasites disease you, and slow down your development).

The goal is to get both of your "players" to develop sufficiently to have macroorganisms, which can be pretty difficult.

At the moment, I'm leaning on Genesis being primarily a 3+ player game. The solitaire and two player games are fine, but as with Greenland and Neanderthal, I think you gain a lot from the third or fourth player.

Phil has a tendency to link his games together, which is pretty cool. You can currently link Genesis to BIOS: Megafauna, Origins: How we became Human, High Frontier and High Frontier: Interstellar. This means you can start off as an amino acid, and end up colonising a nearby star. This is insane.

The linking isn't seamless, but it's unique, and it's a lot of fun, especially if you can play with a regular group. The future versions of Megafauna and Origins might be a little more elegant in their transitions.

There are two misprints, and a couple of minor rules that aren't in the rulebook. The rules are updated as Living Rules (linked from the Sierra Madre Games website).

The misprints are definitely not game-breaking, one is an older version icon, on a late-late game card that you may never see in play. The other is on one of the player parasite cards they start the game with (Green), which is easily remembered or fixed with a sticker or something. Neither is a problem in actual use.

"More editions". Phil's games are niche subjects, and have small print runs. They sell out quickly and often go for silly prices afterwards. This often results in subsequent printings, especially for the really popular games, but I wouldn't want to bet on this happening.

Later printings are seemingly often linked with updated rules/new elements. Greenland 1st and 2nd printing had a complete overhaul of the artwork, some new cards, and later an expansion for a fourth player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First, thank you very much for your response, it is very useful.

Domfluff wrote:

The goal is to get both of your "players" to develop sufficiently to have macroorganisms, which can be pretty difficult.

I love the difficult challenges, this is a plus

Domfluff wrote:

Phil has a tendency to link his games together, which is pretty cool. You can currently link Genesis to BIOS: Megafauna, Origins: How we became Human, High Frontier and High Frontier: Interstellar. This means you can start off as an amino acid, and end up colonising a nearby star. This is insane.

The linking isn't seamless, but it's unique, and it's a lot of fun, especially if you can play with a regular group. The future versions of Megafauna and Origins might be a little more elegant in their transitions.

So I understand, there are or will be implemented rules to, according to the outcome of a game, continue with the next game of the "Enklund Bios Saga"

Domfluff wrote:

"More editions". Phil's games are niche subjects, and have small print runs. They sell out quickly and often go for silly prices afterwards. This often results in subsequent printings, especially for the really popular games, but I wouldn't want to bet on this happening.

Later printings are seemingly often linked with updated rules/new elements. Greenland 1st and 2nd printing had a complete overhaul of the artwork, some new cards, and later an expansion for a fourth player.

My question was to wait for the next reissue (to be with corrected cards), but I see that there are limited runs of the game.

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Solna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalesin wrote:

So I understand, there are or will be implemented rules to, according to the outcome of a game, continue with the next game of the "Enklund Bios Saga"

Right now you could play through Bios: Genesis to Bios: Megafauna to Origins to High Frontier to High Frontier: Interstellar, but some of the links are more current than others.

For the current (long since sold out) edition of Bios: Megafauna the links from Genesis are fairly simple, but in the new edition, which will hopefully be released October next year, you will be able to port your organism from Genesis directly into Megafauna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cogdiz wrote:
but in the new edition, which will hopefully be released October next year, you will be able to port your organism from Genesis directly into Megafauna.

Thx for info, i can't wait!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.