Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: What expansions to best expand the game to 4 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Nguyen
msg tools
I've recently got the core game and would like to expand the game to add 2 more players. I don't want to grab another core game, but I also don't want to spend too much since I am playing the game casually. I am thinking the X-wing expansion with a TIE advanced expansion would work best? Would this keep both sides balanced if all ships were used, with one player controlling the 2 tie fighters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to balance, you should look at the squad building rules towards the back of the rulebook. Generally, decide on a total, sum up points for both sides and try to have both sides reach that total without going over (though being slightly lower is OK - there's always this one thing you could take if only you had one more point), and things should generally be fairly balanced.

You can easily play 50 or 60 (maybe 70, but that's stretching it) points with an X-Wing and a TIE Advanced after the core set, yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nguyen
msg tools
Alright, that's good to hear. Thanks for posting the reply. I'll probably go that route with the expansions then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Best way to add two more players is to buy another mat and play two two player games TBH.

There are formats that fit all four, and they can be fun, but I personally enjoy the basic dogfight game more than any of them I've tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy enough to get Rey/Poe vs. something like RAC/Soontir. There's your four player. Everybody controls a ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also look at the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign. It's a co-op campaign for 2-6 players. It's excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schmidt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To play Heroes of the Aturi Cluster your gonna need more ships. A lot more ships...

Who am I kidding, more ships are never enough... Ebay is a good place to find extra ships for casual play and just proxy the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dodd
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
You should also look at the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign. It's a co-op campaign for 2-6 players. It's excellent.

Is there a good way to print/assemble HOTAC without putting in a lot of time or money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can print the terrain pieces on regular paper and tape them / glue them to some sort of backing board like poster board, or someone elsewhere said they used empty cereal boxes. You can use the electronic version of the rule book rather than printing one out. The lower cost options do require more time and effort to assemble, but you could probably do the entire thing for under $10 if you go cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jondodd82 wrote:
heychadwick wrote:

Is there a good way to print/assemble HOTAC without putting in a lot of time or money?

drathbun wrote:
You can print the terrain pieces on regular paper and tape them / glue them to some sort of backing board like poster board, or someone elsewhere said they used empty cereal boxes. You can use the electronic version of the rule book rather than printing one out. The lower cost options do require more time and effort to assemble, but you could probably do the entire thing for under $10 if you go cheap.

This is good advice. Also...my work doesn't really mind if I print things out on their printers. There could be that. Or...do you have a friend or family member that doesn't mind printing something out at their work or school? It helps. Just make sure to click PRINT ON ONE SIDE ONLY for terrain and cards.

I printed mine on regular and just glued them to the back of either manila folders or cereal boxes. I started with glue sticks, but they tend to peel off. regular white glue is fine. Also, if you can find a bunch of old mouse pads laying around, you are darn lucky! Bring them out and glue them on mouse pads. Failing that, you can buy some foam pads pretty cheap at a craft store (Michael's or Hobby Lobby in US).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.