Hide
4 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero: Pathfinder (in place of the Martyr) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Farina
msg tools
Hi guys, sorry I’ve been gone for a while, I got a little, very ill. But I’m back now ready for a second round of editing/playtesting/seeing what you guys think. I also added a variant power to each of the heroes because why not, it’s fun. I also want to be more conscientious of the forum and the way it works. I know last time, I wasn’t a big participator in other people’s posts so I’ll try to be more participatory this time around. I have every one of my decks retested/edited, but again, as a courtesy, I won’t post them all at once. I know that if I do, I will push everyone else’s posts way down which is kind of rude, so I’ll probably only post a couple every once in awhile. Anyway, here it goes:

Backstory: The basic backstory for each one of these heroes I have created is that they are all some kind of fan or are somehow connected to one of the heroes from the main game. For some, they became inspired when they were saved by such a hero, while others have simply always admired their respective hero. Thus, some cards may look similar to their respective hero's cards. However, each deck is entirely its own and is not meant to be a variant of a hero. This deck is the corresponding deck to Haka. Pathfinder is a hand to hand combat hero who doesn’t use any equipment besides himself. He uses his quick punches to land many blows on many different targets and thrives in a high targeted environment. As his name suggests, Pathfinder is excellent at finding the best course to take, so that he is in the right position at the right time to get the damage in, and then hopefully get out as well, but sometimes, this comes at a cost of doing damage to himself and/or his teammates. Pathfinder can be played safely, low damage dealt/low damage taken, or very aggressively with high damage dealt, but also high damage dealt to his fellow heroes so be careful.

Note: This is my new deck for the Martyr. I tried editing that deck, but it just wasn’t coming around to a way I enjoyed, and it was miserable to play as, but then I had an idea for this deck, and so I decided to just entirely scrap the martyr (though, I guess it’s still on this forum somewhere) and start with a new hero for Haka. With that, though, and with a couple of my other decks that I did drastic editing/revising for, their balance still may be a little off due to the fact I’ve only really done 1 full round of playtesting with these unlike the 2-4 rounds of playtesting for some of the other decks. Thanks!

Pathfinder
Hp 32

incapacitated powers
the hero with the lowest hp regains 2 hp.

one player may play a card now

reduce damage dealt to a target by one until the start of your next turn

Core Power: quick strike: deal up to five targets 1 melee damage each

Variant Power: loaded strike: discard a card with the keyword strike. Deal up to 4 targets 2 melee damage each.

Ongoings (23 Total):
X3 destructive strike: (ongoing, strike): Power: destroy a card with the keyword strike on it. Draw a card and and deal 3 targets 1 melee damage each. Deal 1 hero target 1 melee damage.

X3 Reckless abandon (ongoing, strike): Increase damage dealt to villain targets by 1. Increase damage dealt to hero targets by 1.
Power: pathfinder deals 1 target 1 melee damage, destroy this card.

X3 Increasing strike (ongoing, strike): Power: Pathfinder deals 1 target 1 melee damage. Then, he deals 1 other target 2 melee damage. Then 1 other target 3 melee damage.

X3 Double strike (ongoing, strike): once per turn, when you deal damage to a villain target, you may immediately deal the same amount and type of damage to that villain target again.

X2 Defensive Strike (ongoing, strike): Reduce damage dealt to and by Pathfinder by 3. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

X3 Precise Strike (ongoing, strike): Damage dealt by pathfinder is irreducible. Power: pathfinder deals 1 target 1 melee damage. Destroy this card.

X3 Reactive Strike (ongoing, strike, limited): Every time, a card with the keyword strike on it gets destroyed, you may either play a card or deal 1 target 1 melee damage. Then, deal 1 hero target 1 melee damage.

X3 crowd control (ongoing, limited): Whenever Pathfinder deals damage to 8 or more different targets in one turn, draw two cards and each hero regains 1 hp.

One-shots (17 Total):
X2 ultimate strike (one-shot, strike): pathfinder Deals up to x targets 2 melee damage where x = the number of strike cards you have in play.

X4 Friendly acts of violence (one, shot) Draw a card. Pathfinder Deals all targets 1 melee damage. All targets regain 1 hp. All heroes regain an additional 1 hp.
You may play a card.

X3 Pathfinder of battle (one-shot): Draw 2 cards. Then discard 1 or more cards.
Until the end of your turn, increase damage dealt by pathfinder by 1 for every two cards discarded this way.

X3 Pathfinder of Restoration (one-shot): Draw 2 cards. Then discard 1 or more cards.
The next x times a hero target is dealt damage, they then regain 1 hp, where x = the number of cards discarded this way.

X3 Pathfinder of shielding (one-shot): Draw 2 cards. Then discard 1 or more cards.
The next x times a hero target would be dealt damage by pathfinder, reduce that damage by 2, where x = the number of cards discarded this way.

X2 Mini-Rampage (one-shot): Pathfinder deals each non-hero target 4 melee damage and each hero target 1 melee damage.

Thanks for reading, and as always, questions/comments are always appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
farinajosepha wrote:

X3 Slow and steady (ongoing, strike, limited): Every time Pathfinder deals damage, increase the next damage he deals that turn to a non hero target by x where x = the number of different targets he has dealt damage to since the start of his turn. Every time pathfinder deals damage to a villain target, he then deals y melee damage to a hero target where y = the amount of damage he dealt to the villain target previously + 1.
Power: deal 1 target 1 melee damage, destroy this card.

Having read the explanation I now understand what you're trying to do with this card. A couple of problems:
1): The card text in way too long to fit on a standard SotM card.
2): From my reading here it would be dealing damage as
Villain Target: 1 Hero Target: 2
Villain Target: 2 Hero Target: 3
Villain Target: 3 Hero Target: 4
Villain Target: 4 Hero Target: 5
Villain Target: 5 Hero Target: 6
As there is no indicator that the villain damage builds on what was done to the hero target.
3): Having said all that it's not a card I'd use, as it's always going to do more damage to the heroes unless they have ways to mitigate the damage or redirect it.
4): I just done a quick re-read and it's even more complicated (I'm not going to delete previous stuff to show my developing thoughts about the card).
So it can do damage to Environments targets as well and each successive target increases damage by 1. Taking thet base power of 5 targets one damage each. Hitting 2 environment targets first and then three villian targets and bouncing damage to three different hero targets.
Environment1: 1
Environment2: 2
Villain1: 3 Hero1: 4
Villain2: 5 Hero2: 6
Villain3: 7 Hero3: 8
So yay for it working as you intended but given the amount of re-reads of the card to get there I think it's overly complex.

Quote:
X3 Reckless abandon (ongoing, strike): Increase damage dealt to villain targets by 1. Increase damage dealt to hero targets by 1.
Power: pathfinder deals 1 target 1 melee damage, destroy this card.

This looks like fun

Quote:
X3 Increasing strike (ongoing, strike): Power: Pathfinder deals 1 target 1 melee damage. Then, he deals 1 other target 2 melee damage. Then 1 other target 3 melee damage.

Just checking intent here that you have to hit three targets. If not then there should be a "may hit" clause for the second and third targets.

Quote:
X3 Precise Strike (ongoing, strike): Damage dealt by pathfinder is irreducible. Power: pathfinder deals 1 target 1 melee damage. Destroy this card.

I've never been a fan of Heroes doing irreducible damage and the few that do generally don't get that many big hits out. The only official hero that can put out consistent irreducible damage is Mr Fixer and it's one of the strongest points of his deck.

Quote:
X3 Reactive Strike (ongoing, strike, limited): Every time, a card with the keyword strike on it gets destroyed, you may either play a card or deal 1 target 1 melee damage. Then, deal 1 hero target 1 melee damage.
Power: destroy a card with the keyword strike on it. Draw a card and and deal 3 targets 1 melee damage each. Deal 1 hero target 1 melee damage.

Again bit long in the card text.
Also I'm pretty sure you could break this card into two seperate cards and they'd both still be pretty powerful.

Quote:
X3 crowd control (ongoing, limited): Whenever Pathfinder deals damage to 8 or more different targets in one turn, draw two cards and each hero regains 1 hp.

I'm not sure it'll happen that often that you'll hit 8 targets but I do like this rewarding you going all out and having to hit your buddies.

Quote:
X2 ultimate strike (one-shot, strike): Deal x targets 2 melee damage where x = the number of strike cards you have in play.

Not sure it would ever happen but this gives a potential 18 targets to be hit if my count of strike cards is right.

Quote:
X4 Friendly acts of violence (one, shot) Draw a card. Pathfinder Deals all targets 1 melee damage. All targets regain 1 hp.
You may play a card.

I find this card amusing and fun. Not 100% sure I'd play it though as it can easily end up in a net loos for the heroes.

Quote:
X3 Pathfinder of battle (one-shot): Draw 2 cards. Then discard 1 or more cards.
Until the end of your turn, increase damage dealt by pathfinder by 1 for every two cards discarded this way.

As a variant of the Haka card it looks nice but given the propensity for hitting your own side it's a tough choice as to when to play it. Well done sir, well done.

Quote:
X3 Pathfinder of Restoration (one-shot): Draw 2 cards. Then discard 1 or more cards.
The next x times a hero target is dealt damage, they then regain 1 hp, where x = the number of cards discarded this way.

Given how open ended this card is it might be tough tracking how many more cards are left, having said that it's still a very nice card to play.

Quote:
X3 Pathfinder of shielding (one-shot): Draw 2 cards. Then discard 1 or more cards.
The next x times a hero target would be dealt damage by pathfinder, reduce that damage by 2, where x = the number of cards discarded this way.

Given how much I think Haka of Shielding is a dead card this is a great idea to replace it. Again as above it's a little open ended and keeping track is a pain.

Quote:
X2 Mini-Rampage (one-shot): Pathfinder deals each target 2 melee damage.

Not sure about this card at all. Given it's interaction with Slow and Steady you'd never play them together and you'd definitly want to have stacked up a Pathfinder of Shielding before it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Farina
msg tools
First, I'd like to thank you for commenting on these. I have 10 decks total, but these three I posted first because I was the most concerned about them/it's been really hard to make them balanced, so comments for these three especially are very much appreciated.

I agree with you with slow and steady. It was actually the first card I thought of and kind of the basis for this deck which is why I wanted to keep it, but it's too complicated, convoluted, and wordy for it to really work. Plus, it can make for some really messy turns, so I will end up changing it most likely.

Quote:
Just checking intent here that you have to hit three targets. If not then there should be a "may hit" clause for the second and third targets.

the lack of a choice was on purpose. He's meant to be a rather reckless character and so this card accentuates that. If there are three non-hero targets out, great, you can hit all three of them. If not, you may have to do 1 damage to a hero target, or else not use this power at all.

Quote:
I've never been a fan of Heroes doing irreducible damage and the few that do generally don't get that many big hits out. The only official hero that can put out consistent irreducible damage is Mr Fixer and it's one of the strongest points of his deck.

I think this card works in his deck. I didn't want to give him a damage buff ongoing card because that could get ugly really fast, but I feel like this fits with his uncontrolled power theme. Because not only can he not keep himself from damaging others, no one else can stop him either.

Quote:
Again bit long in the card text.
Also I'm pretty sure you could break this card into two seperate cards and they'd both still be pretty powerful.

I have a tendency to make my card texts way too long. That's a good idea, to make these cards two separate items. Especially if I am going to be getting rid of slow and steady.

Quote:
I'm not sure it'll happen that often that you'll hit 8 targets but I do like this rewarding you going all out and having to hit your buddies.

It's kind of the point — making it hard to reach. I'll admit, the number of targets necessary to hit to activate has been a topic of debate for me, but I figured, with 8, he has to go out of his way probably hitting heroes to achieve this so I thought it fit well.

Quote:
Not sure it would ever happen but this gives a potential 18 targets to be hit if my count of strike cards is right.

oops! It's supposed to say up to x targets, you don't have to hit x targets. As for it hitting a max of 18 targets, that's fine, it would basically just give you the opportunity to hit every target in play if you wanted to.

Quote:
I find this card amusing and fun. Not 100% sure I'd play it though as it can easily end up in a net loos for the heroes.

Yeah, I've debated whether or not to add an extra sentence saying "all hero targets regain 1 additional hp." I think I will, because then it still has a chance of being useful, but also boosts up the number of targets you've hit in one turn if you have crowd control out.

Quote:
Given how open ended this card is it might be tough tracking how many more cards are left, having said that it's still a very nice card to play.

I've always just used health tokens to do it. I make a separate pile, and every time a card is used, I remove 1 token. It's not enough of an annoyance in my opinion for me to change the card text.

Quote:
Not sure about this card at all. Given it's interaction with Slow and Steady you'd never play them together and you'd definitly want to have stacked up a Pathfinder of Shielding before it.

I'm actually a little uncertain about this card as well, but for a completely different reason. I think, with slow and steady taken out, the main issue with this card goes away. My problem is that it is way too similar to ultimate strike, it's just a little worse. I'll probably end up changing it.

Again, thank you for spending your time to read through this. I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To handle the tracking issue of the "Haka of..." cards, you could make them say:

Draw 2 cards. Set this card aside. Place 1 or more cards under it. The next ___, discard a card from under this. When no cards remain under this, destroy it. Cards under this are not in play.

Leave it as a One-Shot though, so it isn't destroyed too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.