Subject: Another space poop thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you suddenly find yourself on the wrong of a spaceship in space (i.e. the outside) you have to breath out otherwise the vacuum will cause your breath to be forced from your lungs and possibly rupture parts of your body on the way.

My question is, is the same true for your rectum and bladder?

If I'm floating in space, waiting for the Heart of Gold to appear, should I really be thinking, "I hope the ship that rescues me has good laundry facilities."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
No. In marked contrast to air, water is almost perfectly incompressible, and will therefore not expand upon the sudden reduction in pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gjerde wrote:
No. In marked contrast to air, water is almost perfectly incompressible, and will therefore not expand upon the sudden reduction in pressure.

Would I fart then?

I know I wouldn't be able to hear it (or, in deed, smell it) but I should feel it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gjerde wrote:

Wait... what!?

I thought it would boil due to the lower (ie near zero) pressure.
Same reason that water boils at a lower temperature up in the mountains...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We're gonna need a volunteer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
kuhrusty wrote:

This would be good. Many of the things people think they know about what happens to a human body exposed to hard vacuum (that is, what they've seen on TV and in movies and read in bad sci-fi books) are completely wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Soyuz-11 (well, they prolly didn't volunteer for hard vacuum).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
gjerde wrote:

Wait... what!?

I thought it would boil due to the lower (ie near zero) pressure.
Same reason that water boils at a lower temperature up in the mountains...

No. Directly exposed water would evaporate somewhat quicker than it does under atmospheric pressure, but this is not something to worry about in the crucial seconds before you either die of asphyxiation or get picked up by a passing spaceship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What if I'm wearing contact lenses? The sudden evaporation of the liquid covering my eyes would surely make them very uncomfortable.

And breast implants? Would they explode? Should the vacuum of outer space be avoided if you have them?

What about drinking hats? As the beer turns quickly into gas, it would shoot out of the end of the straw, possibly causing me to jet off in a random direction.

If space tourism is going to take off then these are the sort of idiotic questions that (probably don't) need answering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

This would be good. Many of the things people think they know about what happens to a human body exposed to hard vacuum (that is, what they've seen on TV and in movies and read in bad sci-fi books) are completely wrong.

Been away for a few days, recovering from a nasty stomach bug. Come back to Chit Chat, and what do I find?gulp

Also, now the previously (fairly) benign image of Jason I had in my head is gone, and replaced with a mad scientist figure. A sort of Lynchian cross between the late Steve Irving and John Jarrold's character from the movie Wolf Creek, flinging unsuspecting backpackers into a hard vacuum chamber he has constructed, as..."experiments".

"Do ya recon his EYES will explode?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Edward Sexby wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Been away for a few days, recovering from a nasty stomach bug. Come back to Chit Chat, and what do I find?gulp

Also, now the previously (fairly) benign image of Jason I had in my head is gone, and replaced with a mad scientist figure. A sort of Lynchian cross between the late Steve Irving and John Jarrold's character from the movie Wolf Creek, flinging unsuspecting backpackers into a hard vacuum chamber he has constructed, as..."experiments".

"Do ya recon his EYES will explode?"

And it's still an easier, quicker, better, less agonising death than you bloody tourists would usually find down here... (hard vacuum or drop-bear venom, ooooh, that's a toughie - a fiver says the pom picks the wrong one )

I suppose I really ought to note that a) it is backpacker season here (seasonal crop picking), and b) we do have that sort of economy and a lot of backpackers, erm, floating about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

Would I fart then?

I know I wouldn't be able to hear it (or, in deed, smell it) but I should feel it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
If you suddenly find yourself on the wrong of a spaceship in space (i.e. the outside) you have to breath out otherwise the vacuum will cause your breath to be forced from your lungs and possibly rupture parts of your body on the way.

Actually not true. Your body is sturdy enough to hold in the air. The only weak point is your mouth - the air will come harmlessly out of your mouth. Then 15 seconds later you fall unconscious because of lack of oxygen to the brain, as happened to Jim Leblanc when his space suit sprang a leak while he was in a NASA depressurization chamber.

I'd imagine that your rectum and bladder would be sturdy enough as well. But your farts might be a little bit extra explosive due to the pressure difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
caracfergus wrote:
Actually not true. Your body is sturdy enough to hold in the air...

Yup, while our earthly air pressure (at sea level) is about 15 pounds per square inch, they only ran at about 5psi on the moon missions. So it's really not all that much of a pressure difference if you're suddenly naked in vacuum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.