Hide
3 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Nox and Lux (Revised) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Farina
msg tools
Hi guys, sorry I’ve been gone for a while, I got a little, very ill. But I’m back now ready for a second round of editing/playtesting/seeing what you guys think. I also added a variant power to each of the heroes because why not, it’s fun. I also want to be more conscientious of the forum and the way it works. I know last time, I wasn’t a big participator in other people’s posts so I’ll try to be more participatory this time around. I have every one of my decks retested/edited, but again, as a courtesy, I won’t post them all at once. I know that if I do, I will push everyone else’s posts way down which is kind of rude, so I’ll probably only post a couple every once in awhile. Anyway, here it goes:

Backstory: The basic backstory for each one of these heroes I have created is that they are all some kind of fan or are somehow connected to one of the heroes from the main game. For some, they became inspired when they were saved by such a hero, while others have simply always admired their respective hero. Thus, some cards may look similar to their respective hero's cards. However, each deck is entirely its own and is not meant to be a variant of a hero. This is the corresponding deck to Fanatic. Nox and Lux (or night and light in English) are twin brother and sister respectively. Nox controls darkness and has some other powers while lux controls light. This was the second deck I ever made, and the balancing of this deck has been really tricky, so any comments are much appreciated.

Nox
Hp 25

Lux
Hp 25

Notice: Nox and Lux were originally two different characters like the sentinels, but I didn’t like how it was turning out, so instead, they work like Skyscraper and her different sized cards with a few differences: 1). You may start the game on either nox or lux’s character card. 2). When you play an illusion card, switch to Lux’s character card. When you play a disillusion card, switch to nox’s character card. When you play a neutral card, you don’t switch character cards. 3). Cards that specifically say nox or specifically say lux only affect that one character. For example, if nox would be dealing damage, he does not get the +1 from focused beam because that card specifically says “increase damage dealt by lux by 1.” If it says “nox or lux” on the card, that means you can use the ability no matter which character card you are using at the moment. Thanks!

incapacitated powers
one hero target draws a card

one hero target plays a card

one hero target regains 1 hp.

Lux core power: enlighten: Lux deals herself 2 irreducible energy damage. Play a card.

Nox core power: darken: Nox regains 1 hp. Draw a card.

Lux variant power: loving sister: Until the end of your next turn, increase damage dealt by nox by 1. Switch to nox’s character card. Nox deals 1 target 0 energy damage.

Nox variant power: loving brother: Until the end of your next turn, reduce damage dealt to lux by 1. Switch to lux’s character card. Lux regains 1 hp.

Illusions (12 total):

X2 light ray (illusion, ongoing): power: lux deals 1 target 3 radiant damage.

X2 focused beam (illusion, ongoing, limited): increase damage dealt by lux by 1.

X2 precise ray (illusion, ongoing): damage dealt by lux is irreducible.

x2 energy blast (illusion, ongoing): power: lux deals each non-hero target 1 energy damage.

X2 mirage (illusion,limited, hp5): redirect damage dealt to lux to this card.

X2 Aggressive twin (illusion, ongoing, limited): If Nox would be dealing damage to a target, you may switch to lux’s character card so that lux deals the damage instead. If you do, increase the damage dealt by 2.

(disillusion cards (12 total):

X2 sacrificial twin (disillusion, equipment, limited): If damage would be dealt to lux, you may switch to nox’s character card so that nox is dealt the damage instead. If you do, reduce the damage dealt by 2.

X2 hidden in the shadows (disillusion, ongoing, Lim): reduce damage dealt to nox by 1.

X2 Banish to darkness (disillusion, ongoing): Power: Choose a non character target, Until the end of your next turn, that target may not deal damage or be dealt damage.

X2 dark magic (disillusion, ongoing, limited): increase hp recovery to nox by 1.

X2 darkened spirit (disillusion, ongoing): power: Nox regains 2 hp. Or destroy an environment card.

X2 blinding darkness (disillusion, ongoing): If a hero target would be dealt damage, you may discard x cards. Reduce the damage dealt to that hero target by x. At the end of your turn, draw a card.

neutral cards (15 total):

X3 Allusion (one-shot, neutral): reveal cards from your deck until 1 illusion and 1 disillusion card are revealed. Put the two cards in your hand. shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

X2 powerful twin (one-shot, neutral): Either destroy all illusions or all disillusions in play.
play either all illusions or disillusions in your hand.

X3 copycat (ongoing, equipment, neutral, limited): when this card enters play, put it next to an illusion or disillusion card. This card is a copy of that cards text but not its keywords. At the end of your next turn, destroy this card.

X2 Fanatic fanatic (one-shot, neutral): All hero targets regain 1 hp. Either Nox or lux deals all non-hero targets 1 radiant damage.

X2 out of control (one-shot, neutral): Either nox or lux deals all targets 2 energy damage. Each target regains 1hp.

X2 illusionary vengeance (one-shot, neutral): Either nox or lux deals 1 target x damage where x = the number of disillusions and illusions in play X2. Destroy an illusion and disillusion simultaneously.

X2 one-sided (one-shot, neutral): Draw a card. Every time you discard a card this turn, immediately draw a card. Discard all neutral cards and either all illusion or disillusion cards in your hand. play a card.

other cards (1 card):

end of years (ongoing, neutral): At the start of the environment turn, destroy all ongoing and equipment cards. Nox or Lux deals 1 target x energy damage where x = the number of ongoing and equipment cards in the trash of all decks.

Thanks for reading, and as always, questions/comments are always appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the concept! I'm not experienced enough to give much more helpful feedback, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Cool little double act, and clear identity of Lux as offense and Nox as self defense, nice design.

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 focused beam (illusion, ongoing, limited): increase damage dealt by lux by 1.
If there are ever more than 5 illusions and disillusions in play at once, either destroy 1 disillusion card or 1 illusion card.

This is the first illusion card so I'll put it here - not sure I get the point of the can't have more than 5 illusions/disillusions in play? It's an odd limit and one that it seems like wouldn't come up that often, even with Lux's extra play, and also doesn't seem like they'd be overpowered if they get over that limit. Takes up quite a bit of space and (given that I've never played the deck) seems like it wouldn't matter much.

farinajosepha wrote:
x2 energy blast (illusion, ongoing): power: lux deals each non-hero target 2 energy damage.
If there are ever more than 5 illusions and disillusions in play at once, either destroy 1 disillusion card or 1 illusion card.

This is a pretty amazing card, especially when the damage is all possibly +1 and irreducible. Might be okay, but this would have the potential to be a game winner.

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 mirage (illusion,limited, hp5): redirect damage dealt to lux to this card.

Name makes sense, but it's odd that the theoretically offensive Lux has a defensive trick, isn't that Nox's deal?

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 Aggressive twin (illusion, ongoing, limited): If Nox would be dealing damage to a target, you may switch to lux’s character card so that lux deals the damage instead. If you do, increase the damage dealt by 1.

I like this one, gives you a reason to switch a lot - it'd be interesting to want to switch into Nox to optimize your damage dealing and would cause you to look at your hand in different ways. Same goes for Sacrificial Twin. I do feel like +1 damage to one attack might be a bit too small as a bonus?

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 invisibility cloak (disillusion, equipment, Lim): reduce damage dealt to nox by 1.

I'll say it on this one as it's the first disillusion... why are they equipment? I get that you want a contrast with Lux's illusions, but from the names or flavour they mostly don't sound like equipment - Dark Magic and Blinding darkness particularly. So Lux is filled with natural divine power, her twin just has a big sack full of darkness themed gadgets?

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 Darkness magnifier (disillusion equipment): reduce all damage dealt by 4. Nox is immune to irreducible damage. At the start of your turn, you may destroy this card or either nox or lux loses 5 hp.

Reduce all damage by 4 is pretty close to no one deals any damage. And of course, you can keep this up FOREVER by having Nox lose 1 HP a turn. Or, if you have Invisibility cloak, forever. Seems like it might not be fun to keep out turn after turn, no one deals any damage ever is an incredibly game-distorting effect. Cricket's Sound Masking does the same trick, and that only lasts a turn.

As an example, I could probably beat most villains in the game with this and, say, Echelon. Nox plays this on turn 1, between this and his base power he loses 1 HP and gains 1 HP a turn, so he can do it as long as he wants. He can spend his turns playing other random ongoings to protect this from ongoing destuction. Echelon sits on her butt dealing 1 irreducible damage every turn for the rest of the game and we're bound to win eventually.

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 medic (disillusion, equipment): power: Nox or lux regains 2 hp. Or destroy an environment card.

Card is fine (I like folding in environment destruction to Nox, but may should only work when you are Nox?), but the name is pretty terrible. I thought Nox had creepy darkness powers, but he also just happens to have a bag of antiseptics and bandages? And if pressed he can use his medical skills to take out a T-rex or a Meteor Storm?

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 blinding darkness (disillusion, equipment): If a hero target would be dealt damage, you may discard x cards. Reduce the damage dealt to that hero target by x.

Good card in principle and Nox does have okay draw with his base power, but I'd suspect the exchange rate isn't quite there to make this one attractive.

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 powerful twin (one-shot, neutral): Either destroy all illusions or all disillusions in play.
play either all illusions or disillusions in your hand.

Cool. That is all.

farinajosepha wrote:
X3 copycat (ongoing, equipment, neutral, limited): when this card enters play, put it next to an illusion or disillusion card. This card is a copy of that cards text but not its keywords. If that card leaves play, destroy this card.

Cool design, but could potentially be very powerful - it wouldn't be too hard for Nox to be -2 damage or Lux dealing 4 damage to all the baddies each turn.

farinajosepha wrote:
X2 one-sided (one-shot, neutral): Draw a card. Every time you discard a card this turn, immediately draw a card. Discard all neutral cards and either all illusion or disillusion cards in your hand. play a card.

Not sure I quite get what this one is doing - if I ditch all my illusion cards, and I draw an illusion card, do I then discard it and draw again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.