Subject: Mine phase variant (solo game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game solo but find the marketmine phase a bit clumsy because the player freely chooses movementsplacement for the dummy players. Once you figure out optimal placement strategies, this has little interest. I created the variant below in an effort to streamline this phase in the solo version.

Only 3 overseers in your color are needed in the Mine phase with this variant. At the beginning of a new stage, place the overseers on any 3 different hexes. During the Mine phase, roll 3 dice (6-sided) and assign one to each overseer. The number on the die determines on which hex an overseer moves (see illustration). Note that two overseers can never occupy the same hex. Take the corresponding resources for each destination hex.

Market cardsphase: roll one die for market cards which give a worker movement and two dice for cards which give an overseer movement.

Edited to remove some of the confusion (see posts below)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit confused.

When you say you "find the market phase a bit clumsy because the player freely chooses movements for the dummy players" do you mean mine phase?

Also, I didn't think the solo player freely chose movements for the dummy players - the solo rules as written are quite prescriptive as to which dummy overseer moves where.

I also don't understand the dice roll for market cards, in the solo rules as written the dummy doesn't take market cards.

Or am I totally misremembering/misunderstanding? Apologies if that is so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I also like the mine phase rules for solo as they currently are. You don't "freely" move the dummy overseers, and I think it creates a nice puzzle. Also, it seems like with your variant you only get max 3 resources per round?!

Quote:
I also don't understand the dice roll for market cards, in the solo rules as written the dummy doesn't take market cards.

I guess he just wanted to create a dummy player that takes away stuff to give a multiplayer feeling to the solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
I am a bit confused.

When you say you "find the market phase a bit clumsy because the player freely chooses movements for the dummy players" do you mean mine phase?

Also, I didn't think the solo player freely chose movements for the dummy players - the solo rules as written are quite prescriptive as to which dummy overseer moves where.

Or am I totally misremembering/misunderstanding? Apologies if that is so.

In this variant these aren't dummy players, they are the players overseers that get moved by the dice.

If I understand correctly, there are no opponent overseers used, just the player's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, okay, well I'm totally lost so just ignore everything I said. Hope it works out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Ibbo, indeed I meant the mine phase in the first sentence.
I understand the confusion when I said "freely choose movement". It should have read "freely choose placement". My main issue is that you have entire control on this and once you have figured out good placement strategies, it is a less interesting puzzle (which I find a bit fiddly, too). I would have preferred a puzzle with less control, where you have to react to new situations every time.

The final note was meant for those cards which move workers or overseers in the market phase. I needed to adapt their usage within this variant (since it only makes use of the 3 player overseers and no workers).

@Claudio: correct, the variant usually gives you 3 (but not more) resources each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this Didier. I much prefer using this way of doing the mining phase. It's nice and quick and gives a nice bit of randomness to it. Plus always getting 3 resources is pretty nice as well.
P.S. Thanks as well for your La Granja automa. Brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ervan Darnell

California
msg tools
mb
Interesting idea. I have the same problem with it. The mine phase in the solo version is a substantially different problem than in the real game and thus compromises the solo version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.