Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a unit gets a 'Targeted' marker due to a successful SOF mission when it was detected due to air reconnaissance from the current air superiority level, is it still detected if the air superiority subsequently changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not official, but I would say yes. You have eyes on the ground designating the target so it should count as detected for anything that can (1) hit this type of target, and (2) can benefit from the drm.

Seems in keeping with the way Mitch usually rules on those things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sludge wrote:
If a unit gets a 'Targeted' marker due to a successful SOF mission when it was detected due to air reconnaissance from the current air superiority level is it still detected if the air superiority subsequently changes?

Since the Targeted marker would come off at the end of the game turn, I'm not sure it matters. I will say you can't Target an undetected unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
sludge wrote:
If a unit gets a 'Targeted' marker due to a successful SOF mission when it was detected due to air reconnaissance from the current air superiority level is it still detected if the air superiority subsequently changes?

Since the Targeted marker would come off at the end of the game turn, I'm not sure it matters. I will say you can't Target an undetected unit.

Thanks Mitch, but I'm not sure why you would think it wouldn't matter. It makes me wonder if I've misunderstood something. Here's the sequence:

FIRST SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES PHASE (Initiative Turn Only)

A SOF targeting mission successfully deposits a target marker on a unit that was detected due to air recon because of the player's current Air Superiority Level

AIR/NAVAL PHASE

After air combat the initiative players Air Superiority Level drops so that the unit that was previously 'targeted' is no longer in the player's air recon range and therefore no longer detected.

FIRST STRIKE PHASE etc... till the end of the game turn

The unit is in an ambiguous state of being 'targeted' but not 'detected'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sludge wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:
sludge wrote:

Thanks Mitch, but I'm not sure why you would think it wouldn't matter. It makes me wonder if I've misunderstood something. Here's the sequence:

FIRST SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES PHASE (Initiative Turn Only)

A SOF targeting mission successfully deposits a target marker on a unit that was detected due to air recon because of the player's current Air Superiority Level

AIR/NAVAL PHASE

After air combat the initiative players Air Superiority Level drops so that the unit that was previously 'targeted' is no longer in the player's air recon range and therefore no longer detected.

FIRST STRIKE PHASE etc... till the end of the game turn

The unit is in an ambiguous state of being 'targeted' but not 'detected'

Ah, yes, excellent point. I confess it had never occurred to me before. This is an oddness obviously brought about by SOP timing. In this case, I would say that the unit remains Detected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bush
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...targeting and detection are totally separate as far as the rules go. A unit is detected or not, and that can change during a turn as happened in this case. Targeting under the rules has nothing to do with it.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.