Hide
8 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero: The Assassin (revised) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Farina
msg tools
Hi guys, sorry I’ve been gone for a while, I got a little, very ill. But I’m back now ready for a second round of editing/playtesting/seeing what you guys think. I also added a variant power to each of the heroes because why not, it’s fun. I also want to be more conscientious of the forum and the way it works. I know last time, I wasn’t a big participator in other people’s posts so I’ll try to be more participatory this time around. I have every one of my decks retested/edited, but again, as a courtesy, I won’t post them all at once. I know that if I do, I will push everyone else’s posts way down which is kind of rude, so I’ll probably only post a couple every once in awhile. Anyway, here it goes:

Backstory: The basic backstory for each one of these heroes I have created is that they are all some kind of fan or are somehow connected to one of the heroes from the main game. For some, they became inspired when they were saved by such a hero, while others have simply always admired their respective hero. Thus, some cards may look similar to their respective hero's cards. However, each deck is entirely its own and is not meant to be a variant of a hero. This deck is the corresponding hero to freedom six Wraith, the Assassin. Sometimes, with the wraith controlling a massive criminal empire, people need to disappear, and the assassin is the one to do it. Her deck is rather straight forward, but in a unique sense since she doesn’t deal damage in a normal manner. It was created for my dad who "doesn't get the complexity of the game," so I tried to make a more simple hero that he could use, but still have its own unique quality to it and doesn't just look like haka's deck. Sorry to others if it's too basic for your taste, and it does have some setbacks against villains with no targets, but she can also be a surprisingly powerful ongoing killer as well.

Assassin
Hp 27

incapacitated powers
destroy a target with 3 or fewer hp

1 target deals another 2 melee damage

1 hero draws a card

Core Power: slash: Choose a non-character card. Until the end of your next turn, that card becomes a target with a max hp of 7.

Variant power: Bounty Hunter: draw a card. Place a hero card in the trash of any deck on top of its deck.
Kill cards (25 total):

X3 computer targeter (one-shot, kill): until the end of your next turn, all villain ongoing cards and environment cards are considered villain targets with a max hp of 7. draw a card. You may play a kill card.

X3 Oddball (one-shot, kill): destroy a non character target with an odd numbered hp. The assassin deals herself x-3 toxic damage where x = the hp of the target.

X3 tranquilizer (one-shot, kill): destroy a target with four or fewer hp. Or increase the max hp of a target by 2 and that target regains 2 hp.

X3 cut from the top (one-shot, kill): Deal all targets at maximum hp 2 irreducible melee damage. Targets dealt damage this way may not regain hp.

X3 the Wraith’s agent. (one-shot): draw a card. search your deck for an equipment card and put it in your hand or into play. You may play a card.

X2 collateral (one-shot, kill): One hero may use a power that deals damage now. If that power destroys a target, that hero may use another power.

X3 grenade (one-shot, kill): play all kill cards in your hand. Then, draw x cards where x = the number of cards played this way -3.

X2 target acquired (one-shot, kill): choose a target. That target cannot deal damage to the Assassin until the start of your next turn. The Assassin deals that target 1 projectile damage.

X3 Mark of the almost dead: Choose a non character target. The Assassin deals that target x irreducible melee damage where x = the target’s max hp - its current hp. If it is not destroyed, 1 hero may draw 2 cards.

Ongoings (6 total.):

X3 Deadly Adjustment (ongoing, limited): At the start of your turn, you may use a power. If you do, skip your power phase.

X3 reward (ongoing, limited): whenever a kill card destroys a target, draw a card and the Assassin regains 1 hp.

equipment (9 total):

X3 Poison dart (equipment): when this card enters play, Put it next to a target. When that target leaves play, destroy this card. At the start of your turn, that target deals itself 2 toxic damage.

X3 Knives (equipment): power: the Assassin deals 2 targets 3 projectile damage each.

X3 The executioner (equipment, limited): power: The Assassin deals 1 target 4 projectile damage.

Thanks for reading! Comments are very much appreciated. And don't forget to check out my other custom heroes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
farinajosepha wrote:
Core Power: slash: Choose a card. If that card is a target, reduce its max hp by 2. If it is not a target, until the end of your next turn, that card becomes a target with a max hp of 7.

Interesting idea for a power but maybe a little long. I belive the standard text box on character cardsis 114 characters long including spaces and punctuation. That's 167.

Quote:
Variant power: Bounty Hunter: draw a card. Place a character card in the trash of any deck on top of its deck.

I presume for this power you mean a target as Character Cards never go into the trash. Not sure if it's a good power in general but Unity will love you.

Quote:
X3 computer targeter (one-shot, kill): until the end of your next turn, all villain ongoing cards and environment cards are considered villain targets with a max hp of 7. draw a card. You may play a kill card.

I belive the technical term here is "Screw you Iron Legacy" I approve.

Quote:
X3 Oddball (one-shot, kill): destroy a non character target with an odd numbered hp. The assassin deals herself x-3 toxic damage where x = the hp of the target.

X3 silencer (one-shot, kill): destroy a target with four or fewer hp.

X3 pick and choose (one-shot, kill): destroy a target with 2, 3, 5, or 6 hp.

That's 9 cards that do pretty much the same thing. All of which are useless in a deck were the Villain has no targets, unless you make them targets.

Quote:
X2 collateral (one-shot, kill): destroy a non-character hero target. destroy a non-hero target with hp less than or equal to the hero target destroyed.

Then bringing the count up to 11 is a card that does the same for the last 9 cards just hurts the heroes to do it.

Quote:
X3 grenade (one-shot, kill): play all kill cards in your hand. Then, draw x cards where x = the number of cards played this way -2.

This card is pretty awesome. Maybe a little too awesome, considering with support how many cards you can get into your hand being able to replace them -2 is a little too nice.

Quote:
X2 target acquired (one-shot, kill): choose a target. That target cannot deal damage to the Assassin until the start of your next turn. Reduce the hp of that target by 1.

X3 half life (one-shot, kill): reduce a non-character target to half its maximum hp rounded up. Draw a card. You may play a kill card.

X3 Mark of the almost dead: Choose a non character target. Reduce the hp of that target by x where x = the target’s max hp - its current hp.

X3 Knives (equipment): power: reduce the hp of 2 targets by 3

X3 The executioner (equipment, limited): power: reduce the hp of 1 target by 4.

I see what you're trying to do here and thematically it's appropriate however it's getting round a few of the basic rules. Mainly that the hero does damage and that damage has a type. Many villain cards do some form of backlash damage and this just bypasses it.

Quote:
X3 Deadly Adjustment (ongoing, limited): At the start of your turn, you may use a power. If you do, skip your power phase.

Nice if simple card. but honestly I'd probably reduce it to 2 copies as most of the time it's an interesting but no real advantage play.

Quote:
X3 reward (ongoing): whenever a kill card destroys a target, draw a card and the Assassin regains 1 hp.

Given how many kill cards are flat out destroy a target added to Grenade that's some pretty powerful card draw. Also it's not limited so every target destroyed can be 3 draws and 3 HP.

Quote:
X3 Poison dart (equipment): when this card enters play, choose a target. When that target leaves play, destroy this card. At the start of your turn, that target deals itself 2 toxic damage.

Nice simple, but I'd use the "play this crd next to a target" as the opening line more in line with similar cards alreday printed also it means you don't have to keep track of who the different Darts are attached to.

Finally after a read down through the deck there's only Target Aquired (x2), Poison Dart (x3), Knives (x3) and The Executioner (x3) that can do damage to the boss, two of which can only do that through powers. on the other hand why wouldn't you throw all three Poison Darts onto the boss for 6 damage a round before any upgrades.

While awesome against minions of any type against the boss this deck is going to feel pretty useless.

Thematically is nice but in play I think other than against Voss, Dawn or any other villain deck with a large amount of targets the player is going to gather a big hand of cards they simply can't play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Farina
msg tools
I'm not sure how I didn't notice this, but I posted the wrong version of this deck. I type my decks into a word document and then just copy and paste them here, I'm not sure how I missed that fact. A couple of your comments, I dealt with, but the majority of what you said I had not so thank you!

Quote:
Interesting idea for a power but maybe a little long. I belive the standard text box on character cardsis 114 characters long including spaces and punctuation. That's 167.

A lot of my cards are like this I've noticed. I'm a little verbose. I have changed it to "Core Power: slash: Choose a non-character card. Until the end of your next turn, that card becomes a target with a max hp of 7." which is 108 characters. As for the variant power, it's meant more to manipulate the villain deck, though I guess you could use it on heroes like unity. It's so that targets keep coming out of the villain deck that the assassin can kill. And yes, I meant target cards not character cards, thanks for the catch.

Quote:
That's 9 cards that do pretty much the same thing. All of which are useless in a deck were the Villain has no targets, unless you make them targets.

That's the main difference between the version you read and the version I meant to post, so sorry about that. But in the newest version, most of the kill cards can do something other than simply destroy targets which makes her a bit more of a versatile character.

Quote:
This card is pretty awesome. Maybe a little too awesome, considering with support how many cards you can get into your hand being able to replace them -2 is a little too nice.

I've always debated over how many cards to subtract from this draw. Currently, it's minus three, but I have to test it a little more to see if that number is too nice or not. Of course, your opinion holds some weight as well. How many would you suggest?

Quote:
I see what you're trying to do here and thematically it's appropriate however it's getting round a few of the basic rules. Mainly that the hero does damage and that damage has a type. Many villain cards do some form of backlash damage and this just bypasses it.

The fact that it bypasses any backlash is the point of this entire deck. Her deck purposely breaks several rules. And yeah, it bypasses backlash and debuffs, but it also means the "damage dealt" cannot be buffed in any way. The number you see is the number you get, and there's no way to change that.

Quote:
Nice if simple card. but honestly I'd probably reduce it to 2 copies as most of the time it's an interesting but no real advantage play.

I disagree. The reason it's in the deck in the first place is because it allows her to become more of a non-target killer. If she uses her core power at the beginning of her turn, she turn a non-target card like a villain ongoing card or an environment card into a target with 7hp, and then she still has a play phase to use a kill card on it. Also, it could also allow her to use her power, and then if she skips her play phase, she gets to draw an additional card (due to the ability where you draw two cards if you skip your play and power phase) while still being able to use a power that turn.

Quote:
Given how many kill cards are flat out destroy a target added to Grenade that's some pretty powerful card draw. Also it's not limited so every target destroyed can be 3 draws and 3 HP.

Yeah, it can be very helpful, but she's not going to be destroying tons of targets each turn. Usually, it will be 1 or 2. However, you are right, it should be limited, that's a mistake on my part. Nice catch.

Lastly, and I'm not going to quote you for this one, but you're right, the poison darts should be a "put this next to a target type of card." I'm not sure why I didn't word it that way in the first place, I guess I kind of forgot about that mechanic.

Anyway, thank you again for spending looking over these. I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farinajosepha wrote:
Quote:

... Also, it could also allow her to use her power, and then if she skips her play phase, she gets to draw an additional card (due to the ability where you draw two cards if you skip your play and power phase) while still being able to use a power that turn.

Negative. You may draw an additional card in your draw phase if you did not play a card and did not use a power that turn. Skipping phases has nothing to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Farina
msg tools
ah yes, you are right. I just looked at the rulebook, and it mentions that if you skip your turn, this ability doesn't go into effect. I guess I just remembered the skip part and thought that's where it came from. Either way, the ability to use a power before her play phase is crucial for her deck because it lets her hit non-targets if she uses her core power on her turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Ah, I remember this gal - interesting to see how she's developing. Still seems a bit useless against a target-less deck, but that's not the end of the world.

I really like Mark of the Almost dead - sort of reverse Crushing Rift and finishing off the weak feels very Assassin-y.

Bounty Hunter as a power makes me really really really nervous. Sorry Apostate, you're playing those Gauntlets of Perdition every turn for the rest of the game. Enjoy your 1 extra damage, sucker! Repeat for Gloomweaver/Zombie, Matriarch/Huginn, Ambuscade/Hand Cannon and so on. I would strongly suggest changing this, it's really overpowered and would also make the game really boring.

Cut from the top seems like it could have memory issues with remembering the -2 max HP. Admittedly, many targets don't heal so it often won't matter, but still seems like it's a bit more confusing than the mechanical weight it carries. Functionally, unless there's a lot of healing about this is gonna be "Deal anyone on full HP 2 damage" - a cleaner card and easier to track.

Overall, there might be something to the gimmick of having the Assassin be a damage dealer who doesn't actually technically deal damage, but I'm not sure if that ties well with your idea of making a straightforward hero for your dad - dealing damage is one of the simplest effects in the game, and this hero explicitly doesn't do it!

Just my opinion, but I don't know if committing to the "Doesn't ever actually deal damage" schtick is worth it. Giving her a bunch of "Destroy targets if there HP is in some sweet spot" is cool and fits her, and even against villains that don't produce targets you've given it a clever way to take out ongoings/environments too, so they're not useless. All good, makes her feel different and cool!

However, I don't know if having all her stuff "reduce HP" instead of just dealing damage has much value practically. It would have a lot of wierd interactions that aren't very obvious (particularly for a theoretically simple hero) - it's sorta kinda irreducible? It doesn't trigger Backlash field? It can't be redirected? It can kill a Merged with the Sun Citizen Dawn, or a cloaked Ambuscade, or an unrevealed Chairman? It'd really annihilate Phase, as well. Just seems like it's opening a big mechanical can of worms with no real advantage other than theme and makes a bunch of villains/villain cards just kinda not work properly. I'd suggest you could just make her deal mostly irreducible damage (maybe irreducible and unincreasable if you wanna be fancy?) and keep most of the theme 90% of the functionality and lose 90% of the confusing corner case interactions!

If you want to make a straightforward hero for your dad, I'd say a straight up regular damage dealer with half the deck or so specializing in destroying targets/ongoings/environments based on their HP is a solid one. Just my opinion, however, I've obviously not played her like you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Farina
msg tools
Yeah, you're right about the damage aspect. I was trying something, but it didn't really work and only adds to complicate things. Thanks for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Getting into finer grain comments now...

I still don't really like Collateral - it only works when the heroes have non-character targets, and that is only going be useful with Unity or Captain Cosmic. With any of the other 40 odd heroes, it's gonna be totally pointless. To take it's place, I like the Cut From The Top working against HP, maybe a single target variant that is something like "Deal a target 2 irreducible melee damage. If it is on max HP instead deal it 4(5?) irreducible melee damage".

Also, Silencer reads a bit oddly to me - the name doesn't suggest healing... Maybe the flavour is some kind of painkilling drug that is toxic in excess? I also don't think you need the max HP increase - heroes are almost always below max HP, the text would very rarely matter.

Finally, not sure all her one-shots need to be Kills? In particular Wraith's agent is not at all offensive and could just be a regular one-shot. Computer Targeter doesn't kill anything either, but it sets people up to be killed so that's justifiable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.