Subject: HOW do I make YOU interested in a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
André Forsblom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Hi people! goo
Short introduction about me: I'm a 24 year old game designer and I'm currently working towards publishing my first game.

I would like to know HOW to make people interested in a game.
Please note, I'm not asking "WHAT makes you interested in a game?". (If you strongly dislike the genre, art style, certain mechanics and/or elements of a certain game - you probably won't be interested in it no matter what.)

What I mean with "how" is "In what ways do you most often/most likely become interested in a game"?
Does a friend tell you about it? Do you read about it somewhere?
Through what channels? BGG, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Instagram?
In what type of media? Videos? And if so what kind; Trailers, Reviews, Tutorials, Play throughs? Written revies or articles? Podcasts? What about ads on Facebook or BGG?

Basically I would like to hear anything you can to tell me about this subject. I'd love to hear YOUR personal story of how and where you got interested in a new game the last time.

In my work I have asked lots of designers and game creators with successful Kickstarter game projects about how they reached out to their audience, how they caught peoples interest. They gave me lots of good advice - but now I want to hear YOUR advice.

/André
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

Step 1 is don't sell a product you don't have. I don't want to hear about Kickstarter ever again, unless the product is already complete and ready for printing. Even then it's a little early as far as I'm concerned.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Step 1 is don't sell a product you don't have. I don't want to hear about Kickstarter ever again, unless the product is already complete and ready for printing. Even then it's a little early as far as I'm concerned.

S.

I second this.

you can not make in interested in something that doesn't exist yet.

Once it exists

What I mean with "how" is "In what ways do you most often/most likely become interested in a game"?

1) Known and loved designer,
2) Discussion amongst my freinds in person or geekbuddies here on the Geek
3) Playing with friends at a convention or game night.

Does a friend tell you about it? Do you read about it somewhere?

Yes, friends or reading in discussions here (either forum posts or geeklist posts)

Through what channels? BGG, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Instagram?

BGG often, Facebook once in a blue moon. Youtube, Twitter, Instagram NEVER

In what type of media? Videos? And if so what kind; Trailers, Reviews, Tutorials, Play throughs?

Never.

Written revies or articles?

Very Rarely.

Podcasts?

Never.

What about ads on Facebook or BGG?

Ads blocked on BGG and ignored on Facebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Guide to Promoting Crowdfunds and Games on the Geek

1. Knowing the game exists.
2. Disseminating information on the game freely.
For me personally, a ruleset is critical. For others written reviews by respected reviewers or video introductions, review and/or play-through.
3. Knowing the designer/publisher is both friendly and professional, can make a huge difference too.

For all of these BGG is a great platform to get involved with. When you're 2 months away from launch give me a shout and we can have a further chat if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Forsblom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the link, lots of good stuff there.

I assume that reading the rules is something you want to be able to do on the actual Kickstarter page before deciding whether to spend your money on the project or not?
I'm mainly concerned about catching peoples' interest prior to the Kickstarter launch (getting them involved in the project, the game's FB-group etc). It's a good point regardless though because I hadn't considered to include the full rules in the KS until now.

The launch is still several months away, but I might give you a shout in the future, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Forsblom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Hmm I see, thanks for the reply! It's good to see that some people almost exclusively find new games via BGG. I'm relatively new to BGG so that just proves the importance of learning my way around here and having a big presence on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG news and reviews are the ways I learn about games. I'd recommend sending out review copies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Forsblom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Actually I will print the 2nd version prototypes this week!
I have a number of reviewers (mainly on Youtube) to whom I will send prototypes. I browsed through the BGG reviews a bit, but could you recommend some reviewers that you think are particularity good? I'd really appreciate some tips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndreForsblom wrote:
Actually I will print the 2nd version prototypes this week!
I have a number of reviewers (mainly on Youtube) to whom I will send prototypes. I browsed through the BGG reviews a bit, but could you recommend some reviewers that you think are particularity good? I'd really appreciate some tips

Depends on the type of game it is. I follow reviewers that have similar taste in games to me. For example I don't find dice tower or radho runs through it useful but I like opinionated gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Forsblom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
So I should find someone that enjoys strategic card games and doesn't mind complexity and some math, any ideas??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.