Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played for the first time today, using v3 rules (haven't had chance to print v4 yet).
Firstly, I noticed several of the level 1 monsters are actually quest monsters. Since v3 doesn't include the quest rules, I just discarded them and redrew. I don't know if the newer versions of the files fix the card backs or not, but they probably should.
I only made it through the first third of the game before I realized that the number of mistakes I'd made had kinda skewed the game to much, so this is based off an incomplete play.
So, questions:
When one of my chars deals the killing blow to a monster, do they always only gain one box of experience? That was the way the rules read to me, but the fact that monsters have different levels under experience and even point values, neither of which seem to be used, threw me off.
When I put two dice on a spell on the spellbook card, as a first level wizard, do I get to immediately cast that spell? Do I then get to cast any spell I have filled out with dice whenever I spend a book result on my wizard sheet?
When do I draw cards from the 2nd and 3rd level monster decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
I played for the first time today, using v3 rules (haven't had chance to print v4 yet).
Firstly, I noticed several of the level 1 monsters are actually quest monsters. Since v3 doesn't include the quest rules, I just discarded them and redrew. I don't know if the newer versions of the files fix the card backs or not, but they probably should.
I only made it through the first third of the game before I realized that the number of mistakes I'd made had kinda skewed the game to much, so this is based off an incomplete play.
So, questions:
When one of my chars deals the killing blow to a monster, do they always only gain one box of experience? That was the way the rules read to me, but the fact that monsters have different levels under experience and even point values, neither of which seem to be used, threw me off.
When I put two dice on a spell on the spellbook card, as a first level wizard, do I get to immediately cast that spell? Do I then get to cast any spell I have filled out with dice whenever I spend a book result on my wizard sheet?
When do I draw cards from the 2nd and 3rd level monster decks?

Hello Silver,

The V4 will clear up some of your questions but here are answers to each question:

1. The Yellow monster in the Level 1 Monster sheet "has an error on the card back that I will fix, thanks for catching that", this monster is a quest monster and should be pulled aside "along with the other quest monsters except the Wondering Eye and Minotaur which stay in the monster deck" for when you reach the Quest Dungeon tile! By the way, you draw [4] Quest cards at the beginning of the game and these are the only quests you can go on. If a Dungeon tile is a quest tile and you don't have the matching Quest card then just treat it as a normal dungeon tile. So, You only put the YELLOW monsters out and leave all the other monsters in the deck.

2. Ignore the monster experience points for right now, I will be implementing something later to take advantage of these XP points. When a character makes the killing blow that character gets [1] experience point that equates to moving the level cube down 1 space. It doesn't matter the level of the monster, a player who caused the killing blows gets the 1 point. This way you can decide which player will make the killing blow if you have that ability during your attack action phase. If you want to get your Fighter up to level 2 fast then let him make the killing blow all the time "if he can".

3. When you place one or two dice "depending on the level 1 spell" you can cast the spell only if you have placed a spell book on your Wizard character card. So, to cast a spell "immediately" you need a spell book action dice placed on the icon on the Wizard character card, then you need the action dice to be placed on the spell you want to cast! Once this is done you can case the spell immediately. During the battle you can leave the dice on the spell book card and if you roll another spell book action die you can place it again on the character card and cast the same spell again! Only after the battle is over do you have to remove all dice from all the cards and place them in the regroup card.

4. At the start of the game you only pull from the Level 1 monster deck. Once you go through that deck you then shuffle everything together: level 1, level 2 and level 3 monster cards to make one big monster deck.

I hope these answer your questions and if you have any more please let me know!

Thanks

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.