Subject: What influenced the design of the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously it feels a little like Ora et Labora - gather resources to build things, so that you can gather better resources, and there's the whole spatial element of what fits where.

But when I've played I have got a very strong sense of those late 90s/early 2000s sandbox computer games - and The Settlers in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omen
msg tools
mbmbmb
It has often been compared to the Anno series of city building computer games, which spans from Anno 1602 from 1998 to Anno 2205 from 2015. One important aspect of that series that is also present in the colonists is the promotion of citzens, in Anno 1404 these ranks were farmers, citzens, merchants and noblemen. Also, the Colonists last up to four hours, while Anno games cannot be finished in one session but typically last for weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think that I ever played any of the Anno series, but they're pretty much *exactly* the sort of game I was thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anno is done by the same team that did the Settlers computer game. Apparently Rahdo said The Colonists fired Ora for him....I didn't even think the games were similar until I heard that, but really they do have some commonality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really excited for this one. My only concern is that having to play three actions in a row every time with dozens of options, especially in the late eras, may slow the game to a halt.

My fears were misplaced. This game rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this interview, Tim Puls lists Anno games, The Settlers and Sim City as his biggest influences.

Quote:
CAG: The game really looks like it has strong influence from other games. What other games influenced the design here?

TP: After the mechanism was set, I had to think about what I wanted to do with it. As a teenager I had liked computer games such as the Anno series, The Settlers, SimCity and similar games. I had spent hours building up communities, cities, villages. That was the path I wanted to follow here. As I always hated the military aspects in such games, I decided against armies. Plus, I do not like games in which luck is the main aspect.
Basically, that’s what I started with. Everything else happened while working on the game.

I loved Settlers as a kid, used to play it on my Amiga. I just hated the military aspect... So I was really pleased to read that review.

For me, The Colonists certainly doesn't fire Ora et Labora; they're somewhat different and if nothing else, I can play a full game of Ora in a much shorter timeframe.

However, I'm thinking The Colonists just might fire Roads & Boats for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also shares a few similarities with Walnut Grove: Geographically limited spaces for placing workers (rondel), possible to acquire more workers, limited storage that can be extended (and storage management), erecting buildings on homeboard etc. But Colonists is a totally different beast timewise and in variability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was Anno immediately - The "promotion" of villagers and the improvement of their housing, making refined goods from basic material, trade connections to other colonies... and I did not even play the game yet. Hopefully I'll begin my first game tonight (if my wife is not too tired).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.