Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came across a situation where a feline had the unicorn steed, allowing one reroll of all failed dice.

Claws states: when feline rolls a natural 1 in combat, she may re-roll each natural 1 one time. If the second roll is a 1, she may not re-roll again.

First roll: 1, 1, 2
Used claws to reroll the 1's to a 6 and 4.
Used unicorn to reroll the 2 to a 1.

Now: 6,4,1. The player argues that the 1 can now be rerolled with claws because that is the first time the 1 was rolled on that die, so reroll the 1.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
Just came across a situation where a feline had the unicorn steed, allowing one reroll of all failed dice.

Claws states: when feline rolls a natural 1 in combat, she may re-roll each natural 1 one time. If the second roll is a 1, she may not re-roll again.

Used claws to reroll the 1's to a 6 and 4.
Used unicorn to reroll the 2 to a 1.

Now: 6,4,1. The player argues that the 1 can now be rerolled with claws because that is the first time the 1 was rolled on that die, so reroll the 1.

Is this correct?

No, it's not correct. A natural 1 is a 1 rolled on your initial die roll. There were only two natural 1s and you used claws for those, getting the 6 and 4. You were unfortunate when your unicorn re-roll resulted in a 1, but it's not a natural 1 and you can't use claws to change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere's final result sounds good to me.

"Natural 1" means that the die face says '1' as opposed to a result that reduces a die roll to '1'; for example, a condition that causes the hero to deduct 1 from the attack roll can turn a '2' into '1', but it's not a "natural 1."

The "second roll" comment in the Feline's ability indicates it applies only to the initial attack. Some games (like Shadows of Brimstone), specify a given die may only be re-rolled once; but I'm not aware of any such rule in Defenders of the Realm. This question might be addressed in one of the FAQs; you'll have to check both the base game FAQ and the Hero Pack FAQ.

In the case of the unicorn, the dice were re-rolled and the text "If the second roll was a 1" on the Feline card kicks in. If you want to split hairs, you could argue that the optimal way to use these abilities is to use the Feline ability first, then the unicorn:

Feline ability: 6, 4 on two dice.
Unicorn: Reroll all failed dice.

If you want to split hairs even further, you could limit the Unicorn ability to the last set of dice rolled. In this example, the '2' on the first roll can't be re-rolled because the unicorn only covers the two dice from the Feline Ability re-roll. If the feline was attacking dragonkin which require a roll of '5' to hit, the unicorn could help her re-roll that '4'.

Of course, the unicorn is a magical creature with a difficult quest to acquire (you could waste a lot of action points), so maybe the unicorn could re-roll that '2' from the first roll. The choice is yours, provided Richard Launius doesn't issue an official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insights. I suspect that more fundamentally, the game doesn't really work on individual die memory, so when you use "Claws" or the unicorn's re-roll, you've used the ability and cannot use it again. Nothing in Defenders of the Realm references the first time an individual die rolls something.

Another related question, then, in case Richard Launius sees these forums is:

Say I use the unicorn's re-roll first, to change a 2,2,3 into a 1,1,6. Can I then subsequently use the "Claws" to roll the two 1's, after the unicorn's re-roll?

The questions seem to be (Against Dragonkin):

1. [1,1,4] -> Claws(1,2) -> [6,2,4] -> Unicorn(2,3) -> [6,2,1]
Can I use Claws(3), as it is the first natural 1 on the third die?

2. [1,1,4] -> Unicorn(all) -> [6,1,2]
Can I use Claws(2) after Unicorn?

3. [1,1,4] -> Claws(1,2) -> [2,2,2]
Is Unicorn only valid for the most recent re-roll (first and second die)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting questions like the ones in this thread codified in the rules (vs. multiple FAQs and forum questions) would definitely make a second edition of the game a better value for first edition customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.