Subject: Running out of games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all.

Im new to this great World but im already in a fase where i Think i have all the boardgames that suit both my GF an me. My collection is only 20 games LOL but i dont know What to look for now. We love to play games Like Yinsh,Splendor,Takenoko,carcassonne,hive,Stone age. i love to play Roll for the Galaxy and mystic vale i Can get my GF to play this two games a time or two but she Think they Are a little geeky. So now i dont know What to look for that suit us both. I Like hive,Roll for the Galaxy and she loves Splendor and Splendor and Splendor haha.

Any suggestions where to look now?

She dont Like games where to read a lot (on cards) or if the games Are to heavy

P.S i get the duke tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy? I feel like I've recommended this quite a lot lately, but might be just right for the two of you. It's a worker / card placement game were you build your own family tree, marrying off your family members and their offspring (and then their offspring ;>). It's not too heavy (about the same weight as Stone Age), no long texts on the cards, it's not very geeky and works well with two players. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes Splendor she might like Saint Petersburg, a game in which you are building a tableau of cards some of which pay off in income each round, some of which pay off in VPs each round and some of which pay off based upon set collection at the end of the game (similar to Stone Age). Really a terrific game. Simple, elegant and with a lot of tough choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy? I feel like I've recommended this quite a lot lately, but might be just right for the two of you. It's a worker / card placement game were you build your own family tree, marrying off your family members and their offspring (and then their offspring ;>. It's not too heavy (about the same weight as Stone Age), no long texts on the cards, it's not very geeky and works well with two players.

While I also really like Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy, I disagree that it has the same level of complexity as Stone Age and think that it is way more complex in terms of rules and overall strategic depth. There are no long texts on cards, but all the cards have different texts, so it adds up in a different way. I still encourange to check it out anyway, because it is indeed a really good game.

I was going to recommend Jaipur, but you already have that game in your collection.

If you like The Duke, I would also recommend taking a look at Onitama, which is in comparison more intuitive.

Patchwork is another really popular 2-player game.

If you are interested in a 2-player brain-burning deduction game, Le Fantôme de l'Opéra might be your game.

If she really loves Splendor that much, take a look at Bazaar. Pretty simplistic and pure trading, but maybe a game both of you might enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
20 games, huh? Have you considered not buying any new games for a while?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
JasonJ0 wrote:
"on top with has GF!" heartlol~/kiss\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel H.
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I just bought a game about economics so that's my financial planning done.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Forbidden Island as a good option for your growing collection based entirely on the games that we have in common and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Jaipur (but you already own that ) and Patchwork

Also
Alhambra or Granada

Cacao with Cacao: Chocolatl

Istanbul plus expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some I will recommend:
Lost Cities great 2 player card game
Alhambra or Galaxy Trucker good tile placement games
CV fun dice rolling and tableau game. Build the best life.
Suburbia kind of a sim city game.
Targi good 2 player worker placement game.

Just take it slow and buy games when you have the need. Read or watch reviews before you take the plunge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is something new for you: cooperative. Some people love it, some hate it. But if you both like it, it will open up a whole range of cool games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

Nope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would try a co-op or euro. For co-op try Pandemic or if that theme doesn't interest you, try Burgle Bros..

Viticulture Essential Edition is a great starting Euro. The theme should appeal. Its a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
My wife enjoys Patchwork and the 2 player Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Morels!

Maybe Indigo, Xe Queo!, and Hey, That's My Fish!.

I like Onirim (second edition) and that can be played as a co-operative 2-player game but I personally have only played it solo so I can't really comment on the 2-player experience but it's maybe one to consider.

Hanabi is a possibility but it doesn't play as well with two (but I still enjoy it).

Also, I second Patchwork.

We (my mum, my partner, and I, sometimes in a 2, sometimes in a 3) like similar kinds of games to you but I've bought a few games I think they'll like but we haven't tried them yet. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest looking into the following but please note they're only suggestions, not recommendations (hope that makes sense):
Kigi
Army of Frogs
Sky Tango
Akrotiri
Matcha
Palago

I hope this is helpful. We're kind of at the stage you are so I'm not hugely knowledgable myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deerhound wrote:
Try Morels!

Maybe Indigo, Xe Queo!, and Hey, That's My Fish!.

I like Onirim (second edition) and that can be played as a co-operative 2-player game but I personally have only played it solo so I can't really comment on the 2-player experience but it's maybe one to consider.

Hanabi is a possibility but it doesn't play as well with two (but I still enjoy it).

Also, I second Patchwork.

We (my mum, my partner, and I, sometimes in a 2, sometimes in a 3) like similar kinds of games to you but I've bought a few games I think they'll like but we haven't tried them yet. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest looking into the following but please note they're only suggestions, not recommendations (hope that makes sense):
Kigi
Army of Frogs
Sky Tango
Akrotiri
Matcha
Palago

I hope this is helpful. We're kind of at the stage you are so I'm not hugely knowledgable myself.

I have looked a little at Patchwork but the artwork make it look boring. I have looked at Cottage Garden because i Think the artwork ind the game is prettyer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:

I have looked a little at Patchwork but the artwork make it look boring. I have looked at Cottage Garden because i Think the artwork ind the game is prettyer

Ah, there you go. You want theme over gameplay. Patchwork is by far the "better" game (opinion of me, a heavy euro lover). Your gf wants quick and abstract, you want theme. Hmmm... I'm not really into the 'american' games, i bet that is the category you are looking for.

Maybe check the favorites of Tom Vasel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Schurmann

Perth
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmb
If she likes Splendor, maybe she will also like Lanterns: The Harvest Festival? I have both of these games and play them for similar reasons - they're simple and calm, but with enough strategy to keep things interesting.

EDIT: also +1 for Saint Petersburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:

I think it's quite pretty and it's a great game. Easy to learn but very interesting to play. From what I've read of Cottage Garden and what I understand of how it works, I think you should only consider it if you really want to play a Patchwork-type game with more players but if it's for the two of you, go for Patchwork. Having said that I am considering also buying Cottage Garden because I also want to try a Patchwork-type game with three but it is a different game and don't think it will be as satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to dis-recommend a post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest7 Wonders Duel. But I see you already own that one. If you like that game, you might also enjoy:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:

Maybe ask in a more relevant part of the forum? Or are you just trying to be rude to someone who's still relatively new to the hobby and needs some helps finding their way around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deerhound wrote:
casualcasual wrote:

Maybe ask in a more relevant part of the forum? Or are you just trying to be rude to someone who's still relatively new to the hobby and needs some helps finding their way around?

Nah mate.

Trying to be rude to someone else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look, you will find. It may take a while, but sooner or later something that looks appealing will pop up on your radar. I think it is better not to look for and rather to look back at what you already have and enjoy what you have. The greatest limiting factor facing everyone is time. Every new game that you get dilutes the play time of the games you already own. You are at a good number in your collection. When you have played out those games, then look to get something to add, but hold off as long as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:
Deerhound wrote:
casualcasual wrote:

Nah mate.

Trying to be rude to someone else

Why be rude at all? If you disagree with something someone's said, why not just say why it's not helpful rather than being passive-aggressive about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
If you look, you will find. It may take a while, but sooner or later something that looks appealing will pop up on your radar. I think it is better not to look for and rather to look back at what you already have and enjoy what you have. The greatest limiting factor facing everyone is time.
laughand when you're not playing games you work as a relationship therapist? thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.