$15.00
$5.00
$30.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engagement questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello, I'm reading the rules of this game now and I don't understand some things about engagement.

1. An engaged enemy attacks you in the enemy phase right? When an enemy is disengaged, for example by evading the enemy, it seems to me when reading the rules, the enemy will not ever engage you again. So that would mean you can still fight the enemy, but the enemy can never fight back. Even if it's a hunter it won't re-engage. I expected the enemies to re-engage you in the enemy phase or something, but nope. This seems weird to me, what am I missing?

2. When an enemy is engaged with you, and you move away from that location, what will happen with the enemy? Will it move along with you (I know that an attack of opportunity will happen)

3. You can engage an enemy yourself. What are tactical examples to do so? The only reason I can think of real quick is to protect another player with whom the enemy is engaged, who would be killed in the enemy phase if you don't engage it.

Much obliged!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Enemies attack in the enemy phase. They attack the investigator they are engaged with. If you evade them they exhaust and will not move or attack in the enemy phase but they will refresh during the upkeep phase and engage an investigator in their location.

2. It follow you to the new location. It will still be engaged with you.

3. Another reason to engage an enemy is if your investigator is better at evading. Aloof enemies cannot be attacked unless you engage them.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
Hello, I'm reading the rules of this game now and I don't understand some things about engagement.

1. An engaged enemy attacks you in the enemy phase right? When an enemy is disengaged, for example by evading the enemy, it seems to me when reading the rules, the enemy will not ever engage you again. So that would mean you can still fight the enemy, but the enemy can never fight back. Even if it's a hunter it won't re-engage. I expected the enemies to re-engage you in the enemy phase or something, but nope. This seems weird to me, what am I missing?

2. When an enemy is engaged with you, and you move away from that location, what will happen with the enemy? Will it move along with you (I know that an attack of opportunity will happen)

3. You can engage an enemy yourself. What are tactical examples to do so? The only reason I can think of real quick is to protect another player with whom the enemy is engaged, who would be killed in the enemy phase if you don't engage it.

Much obliged!


1. In step 4.3 Ready exhausted cards. "Simultaneously ready each exhausted card." Then, "Any time a ready unengaged enemy is at the same location as an investigator, it engages that investigator, and is placed
in that investigator’s threat area." So evading, exhausting, and disengaging will only last for that round.

2. "Each enemy in an investigator’s threat area is considered to be at the same location as that investigator, and should the investigator move, the enemy remains engaged and moves to the new location simultaneously with the investigator."

3.There are some instances, for example to use Machete, "If the attacked enemy is the only enemy engaged with you, this attack deals +1 damage."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
SirRoke wrote:
3.There are some instances, for example to use Machete, "If the attacked enemy is the only enemy engaged with you, this attack deals +1 damage."
Apart from abovementioned powering up the machete, deliberate engagement is mostly a defensive move, not an offensive one.
You can take its attack, your beat partner can't, so you pull the enemy and take the hit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ah, I was only looking in the Rules Reference book. Looks like I needed to look at both books at the same time. It's ridiculous. The Mythos phase is described in greater detail in the Rules Reference book, and the Upkeep Phase is described in greater detail in the Learn to Play book. o_O

This must be one of the worst game explanation of FF I have ever seen. Not a fan of it.

However, I am a big fan of your real fast and clear replies!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
With regard to a few more tactical examples of engage, Roland may want to take those piddly rats off Wendy, not to save her toes from being bitten, but simply because he can lead them over to the nearby high shroud area and use them for an easy clue, while Wendy stays put and rummages around for something spiky.

It can also be used to somewhat control Prey preference. After Wendy does her stuff and engage+evades the Ghoul Priest off Roland, at that point the Ghoul Priest will dive back on Roland during the unexhaust stage of the upkeep phase. If Roland really needs to avoid this, or if Wendy knows she doesn't have actions to spare next turn both engaging and evading the Ghoul Priest again, she might opt to, this turn, re-engage the exhausted Ghoul Priest from the disengagement area immediately after evading it there. That way, the Prey preference doesn't get to determine who the enemy goes after in upkeep.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noaloha wrote:
With regard to a few more tactical examples of engage, Roland may want to take those piddly rats off Wendy, not to save her toes from being bitten, but simply because he can lead them over to the nearby high shroud area and use them for an easy clue, while Wendy stays put and rummages around for something spiky.

It can also be used to somewhat control Prey preference. After Wendy does her stuff and engage+evades the Ghoul Priest off Roland, at that point the Ghoul Priest will dive back on Roland during the unexhaust stage of the upkeep phase. If Roland really needs to avoid this, or if Wendy knows she doesn't have actions to spare next turn both engaging and evading the Ghoul Priest again, she might opt to, this turn, re-engage the exhausted Ghoul Priest from the disengagement area immediately after evading it there. That way, the Prey preference doesn't get to determine who the enemy goes after in upkeep.


Amazing answer as well, thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
2. It follow you to the new location. It will still be engaged with you.


Doesn't this also trigger an attack of opportunity by the enemy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Mundane wrote:
2. It follow you to the new location. It will still be engaged with you.


Doesn't this also trigger an attack of opportunity by the enemy?

Yes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Mundane wrote:
2. It follow you to the new location. It will still be engaged with you.


Doesn't this also trigger an attack of opportunity by the enemy?

Yes.


Wouldn't it depend on if the enemy was unexhausted?

If you engage an exhausted character (which a friend did in our game last night because he had a Machete equipped) and then move, would the enemy not still move with you but not make an AOO?

It's an edge case, since I don't think it would happen very often.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
Ah, I was only looking in the Rules Reference book. Looks like I needed to look at both books at the same time. It's ridiculous. The Mythos phase is described in greater detail in the Rules Reference book, and the Upkeep Phase is described in greater detail in the Learn to Play book. o_O

This must be one of the worst game explanation of FF I have ever seen. Not a fan of it.

However, I am a big fan of your real fast and clear replies!


It's under "Enemy Engagement" in the Rules Reference, pg. 10.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFool wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Mundane wrote:
2. It follow you to the new location. It will still be engaged with you.


Doesn't this also trigger an attack of opportunity by the enemy?

Yes.


Wouldn't it depend on if the enemy was unexhausted?

If you engage an exhausted character (which a friend did in our game last night because he had a Machete equipped) and then move, would the enemy not still move with you but not make an AOO?

It's an edge case, since I don't think it would happen very often.


That is an interesting edge case. Going by RR p.10 "Each enemy in an investigator’s threat area is considered to be at the same location as that investigator, and should the investigator move, the enemy remains engaged and moves to the new location simultaneously with the investigator." Seems clear that it does not depend on Ready/Exhausted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
DreadFool wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Mundane wrote:
2. It follow you to the new location. It will still be engaged with you.


Doesn't this also trigger an attack of opportunity by the enemy?

Yes.


Wouldn't it depend on if the enemy was unexhausted?

If you engage an exhausted character (which a friend did in our game last night because he had a Machete equipped) and then move, would the enemy not still move with you but not make an AOO?

It's an edge case, since I don't think it would happen very often.


That is an interesting edge case. Going by RR p.10 "Each enemy in an investigator’s threat area is considered to be at the same location as that investigator, and should the investigator move, the enemy remains engaged and moves to the new location simultaneously with the investigator." Seems clear that it does not depend on Ready/Exhausted.


I don't think the moving does, but I think the attack of opportunity might.

Unless shown otherwise, I'd play it that the enemy would move with you but would not make an attack of opportunity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFool wrote:
I don't think the moving does, but I think the attack of opportunity might.

Unless shown otherwise, I'd play it that the enemy would move with you but would not make an attack of opportunity.


Agreed. "Attack of Opportunity: Each time an investigator is engaged with one or more ready enemies..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an enemy is not Engaged and does not have Prey or Hunter, does it remain in the location it spawned in or where you left it (if you exhausted) until you move there? Basically, some enemies don't move unless engaged?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
salparadice1 wrote:
If an enemy is not Engaged and does not have Prey or Hunter, does it remain in the location it spawned in or where you left it (if you exhausted) until you move there? Basically, some enemies don't move unless engaged?


Enemies don't move unless they have some game effect that moves them, or unless they're engaged with an investigator who moves (cards in an investigator's threat zone move with them).

Normally the only effect that moves enemies is Hunter. Some Agendas may also move enemies. Presumably in the future we might find locations or even Acts that move enemies.

If an unengaged enemy doesn't have Hunter, and nothing else is moving it, they'll just sit around, yes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.