Catan: Traders & Barbarians» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building roads "through" a trade hex in T&B rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Davis
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I know this game has been out for quite a while but I cannot find the answer to my question anywhere so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Let's say you build a settlement on the leftmost corner of the trade hex. Then you build a road going up into the middle of the trade hex. Could you then build a road going outward from the center in any of the three remaining directions? I know that you could build a settlement on the rightmost side of said hex and then build a road going in, thus connecting said roads(or would they not be "connected"?)... but my question is if you can build "through" the trade hex coming from a road and not a settlement or city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
TylertheTitan wrote:
I know this game has been out for quite a while but I cannot find the answer to my question anywhere so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Let's say you build a settlement on the leftmost corner of the trade hex. Then you build a road going up into the middle of the trade hex. Could you then build a road going outward from the center in any of the three remaining directions? I know that you could build a settlement on the rightmost side of said hex and then build a road going in, thus connecting said roads(or would they not be "connected"?)... but my question is if you can build "through" the trade hex coming from a road and not a settlement or city.

I think that you can.

According to the rule book "You may build roads on interior paths, according to the usual rules." The usual rules allow one road to be built on the end of another.

Also, the rule that "You may not build a settlement on the central plaza intersection of a trade hex" implies that one would otherwise treat the central plaza like any other intersection of paths.

Finally, in the illustration of building roads on a trade hex in the rule book it looks to me as if red has done just this and built through the central plaza to the harbour (or from the harbour out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fastest answer to a question can be found by reading the rule book carefully. If something isn't prohibited in the rule book, it is allowed. Also take into account that the main rules of the basic game are still valid as long as they are not overruled by the special rules of a scenario.

The main rule for roads is: roads can be built adjacent to own buildings (roads, settlements and cities).

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Davis
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thank you gentlemen! I knew it wasn't explicit in the rules so I just wanted to make sure the center of the trade hex didn't act as a settlement/city type structure thus preventing building through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.