BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Simple family game with variability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm looking for a family game that is relatively easy to explain and play, but with enough strategy to be interesting. It would also help if the theme was kid friendly, and the game didn't get old after a few plays. So what are your recommendations for a simple, yet strategic game that would appeal to kids and adults over multiple plays?

I am considering,

Evolution, the beginning
Agricola family edition
Machi koro
Treasure hunter

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those you mentioned the only one I have experience with is machi koro. Machi Koro seems like a great option, but you'll need at least one expansion. My family plays with both expansions, and love it. Every game is different and a variety of strategies will win. Every once in a while it overstays its welcome and stretches too long, but my kids, ages 12 and 16, will play this most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Linkletter
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Thanks, we have dominion and seven wonders. They like 7 wonders, dominion not so much. The other game isn't available, but might be a bit too thinky for them.

If I get Machi koro, I was thinking of getting the nighttime version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Dennison
United States
Dane
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
You should take a look at Flag Dash. It is a family friendly tactical game of capture the flag. Plays 2-4 players in 30 minutes and has tons of variability. Note, I am the designer of the game.

Best,
Kirk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quadropolis has been very fun. Both the classic and expert variants are easy to lean but there seems to be a bigger premium on first player in the expert variant as it's easier to lose an action at the end of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids didn't like Agricola Family Edition much at all. More than anything, it was hard to feel like you made progress.

We all love Evolution The Beginning. Easy to teach/learn, fast turns, easy scoring and fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne and Alhambra

Yo can Augment both of them with a plethora of expansions, most of which comprise several modules which you can combine as you wish to keep the games diverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the classics, they are classics for a reason:

Ticket to Ride
Catan
Stone Age
Dixit

And although i don't like it much Carcassonne as well of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions
Catan
Snow Tails
Bohnanza
Stone Age
Steampunk Rally
Ticket to Ride
Alhambra
Sushi Go Party!
Santiago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I usually say the classic gateway games.

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Codenames
King of Tokyo
Catan
Dixit
Pandemic
Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imhotep
Rise of Augustus
Paris Connection
Via Nebula

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions
Arcadia Quest
Galaxy Trucker
Dungeon Petz
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Ticket to Ride: Europe
King of Tokyo
Steampunk Rally
Niagara
Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lord
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Splendor! Very easy to learn, but has more strategy and takes time to master. (For example, I can teach the game in a couple minutes, but new players can rarely beat me.) Quick playtime - around 30 minutes. 2-4 players. Everyone we have introduced it to have enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Lords of Waterdeep is easy to learn, plays kind of like a board game scavenger hunt of collecting the heroes you need for each quest while denying your opponents what they need, and has enough strategy to be tactically interesting without being over whelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Jonas
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Imhotep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Sheung
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Melencolia is great for kids and adults. The collection of more than 14 strategy games can improve players' mental arithmetics, logical reasoning, pattern recognition, memory and strategic planning ability. 10 more new games will be available in 2017 (free manual download).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.