Subject: How it all began rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

if such a thread already exists let me know.
Then I'll delete this thread and post my story in the appropriate thread^^

I really would like to hear some stories, when did your board game passion started? Did a friend invited you to play some board games, was it your parents which shared their passion with you as you was a child?

My story begins almost exactly 1 year ago.
My girlfriend really liked to play Catan the board game as she was small(er) and she owned a digital version which was really old and didn't work on her new computer.
Then she suggested to buy the physical game and I was sceptical because I wasn't sure if I would play a lot with her (SHAME ON ME) and I suggested to buy the app because of the AI/opponents.
I am really glad that we went ot a shop an bought it.
We played it like crazy, you won't believe me how much we played it!
We played it day for day, each day for sooo many hours.
I even tinkered so many cards for it and we played with them.

This was my FIRST STEP and my board game passion began to rise.
In my youth (as a child) I had some board games (not a lot) and I never played them a lot.

I am not sure if it was before Catan or afterwards, my girlfriend and me watched South Park and there was an episode abouth MtG.
I always wanted to test MtG (because I like card games) but I do not like the TCG-system.
After the episode I printed/tinkered a lot of cards (what an effort it was ;D) and we played some matches.
It was again a good experience to share with my girlfriend and we had a nice time although my girlfriend isn't a competitive player and we moved on for several reasons.

The BARRIER...

At the end of the last year I really was interested to buy a board game but board games can be really complicated!!!
I visited a shop and there were a lot of games I never heard of and the person told us so much stuff I had no clue about.

Which board game should I buy?
If you are a noob as I was this is so much time consuming. I didn't want to spend my money for any random game and I am really picky/fussy.
After playing the Warhammer Quest app I discovered at youtube that Warhammer Quest the Adventure Card Game recently was released.
The first barrier was to find out which games exist (hell a lot!!!), which ones I would like. I discovered this great site and watched some youtube videos but if you do it for the first time it is really time consuming and you do not know where to start and you have no clue.

Other BARRIERS...

Where do I buy the game, or to be more precise... Where do I get it?
Out of Stock? Never heard of.
Retail?
Online?
The shop in my city?
The next city?
Does the board game was already availabe in my country?
Warhammer Quest was a great success and out of stock, I had no clue how long it would take to be available again because I never bought a board game.
I had a lot of luck because I found here at bgg a seller at the market and I drove 1 hour o buy it in cologne.
I really had a great time and experienced what it means to be a board gamer:

- Study rulebooks (which is fun for me).
I wouldn't have expected that the designers personally answer you, I was amazed.

- Which version do you want to buy, a newer reprint?
Which language??? I almost always bought english ones because it was often the original version (no translastion errors, earlier available/available at all, and so on).

- I discovered what sleeves are ;D
Sleeve sizes can be also complicated (at first) and a great thread exists here at bgg which lists all games and sleeve sizes.

What happened next?

I bought Eldritch Horror and it was a blast for me and my girlfried (my gaming group ;D).

Many other games followed, also some apps (Sentinels of the Multiverse is very well implemented for exmaple) and there are 2 games which still must be unboxed.

Now I am really into it, and I do not feel like a noob anymore.
Gameworkshop and FFG split, okay I have to buy Fury of Dracula because I have a clue what happens in the board game world.

I even ordered expansions from the USA (I wouldn't have expected it) and I recently got a kickstarter game (hero realms <3)...
Some months ago: What is kickstarter?
This can be also so complicated, if you miss a kickstarter campaign you miss the opportunity to get exclusive content.

A GREAT COMMUNITY

I just wanted to ask some rule questions at the beginning of the year here at bgg and now I have over 750 posts.
Now board games are a great hobby for me (although my girlfriend and me, both of us have a great time she thinks sometimes I overdo things ;D, SHAME ON ME FOR A SECOND TIME) and I also like this site.
I also visited the games fair Spiel 2016 this year and I am sure there are a lot of more great moments to come.

Board games aren't old school and a great opportunity to share great moments with your friends and family!

I think I wrote much more than I expected...
There is still so much more I could write but it's enough!
This is my story, what's about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Roger the Alien wrote:
Hello,

if such a thread already exists let me know.
Then I'll delete this thread and post my story in the appropriate thread^^

Nope. You might delete your post, but you won't be removing the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
You might delete your post, but you won't be removing the thread.

Well he *could* have deleted the thread, before you drove a nail into it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This applies for all board gamers here:

Quote:
It started with playing Monopoly with the family four hours, ...

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
This applies for all board gamers here:

Quote:
It started with playing Monopoly with the family four hours, ...

whistle

Doubt it. You had to be able to read to play Monopoly - I was playing Pachisi and basic cardgames like Crazy Eights long before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was a child I owned risk and tikal but then I abandoned board games. I rather played soccer (typical hobby in germany ).

From time to time I played simple card games as I grew older as I met some friends (those evenings you talk a lot with your friends and you drink some beer, typical party games), but it didn't happen often. We rather watched movies as we met during those typical evenings, or played darts, billards and so on.

-> no monopoly, I just played it twice in my whole life (THIRD TIME SHAME ON ME)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are more threads about this, but I'll post my story here.

My sister and I used to play a lot of games when we were kids. Some years ago, we thought it'd be fun to relive those days and we bought The Game of Life. It sucked, but around the same time, I read about 'those other games'. I bought a couple (Via Romana, Carcassonne and Castles of Burgundy were among the first) and we never looked back. I also visited Spiel that same year and it just blew me away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't seem to click to me until I came back to Magic the Gathering after an 11-year long hiatus due to the loss of my whole collection.

It then took me two years to realize that I hated the mana system and the frustration it created.

I then took notice that I only cared for card games.

Pretty much sums it up. The details lack interest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also rather like card games than board games.
Thank you for the stories so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always had a few from earlier days. The usually frowned upon Monopoly, PayDay, Life and the Milton Bradley Gamemaster stuff plus some I had as collector's items like:

Creature Features

At the time I was playing some Warhammer and Magic though no longer on the latter. Then I was introduced to the term "Euro-game" and was curious. One play did the trick:

Wallenstein (first edition)

I was hooked! You can browse my collection to see how its grown rapidly since with more on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.