$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
as far as i can tell, the corsairs make gondor fall much quicker than before, seemingly much quicker than strider can get to rohan to try to muster a decent ghost army up.

Although the ents in fangorn are much scarier now, potentially being able to destroy sarumon without the shadow player being able to do anything at all to stop him with like 16 potential causalities being inflicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if a Saruman denial strategy would work to limit the ents - they can't come on until he does. But if the SP does that, then the ents have achieved their purpose without even appearing!

With only one faction recruitment per turn, it takes a while for the Ents to build up a threat, and bad guys can recruit tree-fodder faster than the Ents.

When I played as the SP, I built up and rushed Rohan faster than normal to be ready for the Ent counterattack. The Dunlendings were a part of that rush but didn't contribute anything after a couple of battles.

I'd say that the good factions have contributed more in the couple of Warriors games we've had, though the SP has won both. Doubtless things will improve as we gain experience with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Lambie
United States
ferndale
MI
flag msg tools
My wife and I, who have played WoTR literally 30-40 times, have gotten 4-5 playthroughs in with LOME + WOME and have really been enjoying it.

I think the new additions really incentivize you to get Gandalf and strider out of the fellowship sooner than later.

The dead men can make dol amroth not worth bothering with for the shadow player. i've parked a full S&E army in pelargir and the FPP was able to muster enough in dol amroth to wipe it out by using the dead men to cut the army in half. The corsairs become more important if you can get "ships of great draught" before the FP get in the dead men. The dead men, and to a lesser extent, the ents, can give the free people a big helping hand in taking back strongholds that the SP has taken earlier in the game.

The ents were good for the same reasons, but if the shadow player is aggressive with Isengard they usually wipe out helm's deep before the ents can muster sufficiently. The wildmen faction is are uniquely set up to mitigate the ends, being able to take ent inflicted wounds on them (not to mention their call to battle to let you kill off wild men instead of your actual troops (very handy when you don't have time to muster a huge army!).

I haven't had much experience with the spiders or eagles but in the times they've come out, the eagles seem best for moving along the fellowship and the spiders for harassing them, or killing off leaders in combats. The corsairs, while useful, are only really good if you draw the right cards early, their call to battle cards aren't anything spectacular. the game where i took out pelargir and then dol amroth with them in quick succession, they didn't really do much for the rest of the game.

now that we have all the fun expansions, im really hoping they release some alternative scenarios for the game! I want to see the long version: fellowship from the shire, alternative scenario: smaug in the lonely mountain, dwarves still in moria stuff too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
mlambie wrote:
now that we have all the fun expansions, im really hoping they release some alternative scenarios for the game! I want to see the long version: fellowship from the shire, alternative scenario: smaug in the lonely mountain, dwarves still in moria stuff too!

The are planning a separate "Hunt for the Ring" game focusing on getting from Shire to Rivendell. There is also going to be siege engines published someday in the future.

But the best thing that could happen (but will not) would be a game set in Beleriand (Silmarillion), covering years from Bereth/Lutien through Thurin to the fall of Gondolin or even a broader period. Ares mechanics would be best suitable for such a game. Experience with fate tracks (superb for Thurin imo) could make it interesting in other domain than pure battles and war movements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
What they could do easily is a reaworked Rohan/Gondor battle boards and a battle of Dale playable on the BOTFA board. And possibly a Saruman vs. Shire battle on the board from "Hunt for the Ring". Also Eowyn still awaits inclusion into the game - it's a shame there is no mention about her at all.
And in the Siege Engines planned expansion I would see maneuver attack cards similar to those in BOTFA or in Warriors, tied to units involved in the battle - to make races in the game more distinguishable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.