Subject: What Next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
The description for this game states that Ares plans to make scenarios of this kind, like the battles from the LotR. But they have been done already in BotTA. Has anything been hinted to or confirmed by authorities?
Thanks. I only got back to this after a long break with LotR Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
Nothing known yet, for now the Designers work on "The Hunt for the Ring" https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1611869/hunt-ring-pic (no BGG entry yet)

Later they hinted they work on the third Expansion for War of the Ring (if suitable from a business point of view) and/or some Scenarios in the LotR Universe (maybe known ones like Battle for Rohan/Gondor or even new ones). But all of this is speculating only sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. I have just ordered the Battle of the Five Armies. I used to like the Gondor scenario a lot (actually much more than the main game), is it very similar to it with miner tweaks or does it feel like a new concept?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it is very similar, where the leaders have extra abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really hoping for an announcement at GenCon or Spiel. I love BoFA and would like games similar to it, or another LotR game that is not an expansions to WotR. I could never get that game to the table, and like the smaller quicker game found in BoFA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rumpelstilskin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see some battles or scenarios from former ages of middle-earth, e. g. Battles of Gondolin, the Wizard-king of Angmar, Battle of Azanulbizar or even the great bloodbath of Dagorlad...sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, for me the battle scenarios, and especially the more intriguing Gondor one, was a much better experience. Not only it is shorter and less confusing with all the tiles, cards and set up, but it felt also more thematic, the battle system especially I mean. What I disliked about the WotR was that there were no special abilities of the different armies, you have eight nations and in battle, they all just have regular and elite units, not even appropriate combat cards (with the tiny exception of Mumakil).

If the Battle of the Five Armies is even better than the Gondor scenario (and updated), I hope they will redo it in a similar way. We could also get assault on Mirkwood and Lórien, or even the Journey in the Dark? Although the last one is a very different story, more in line perhaps with the Hunt for the Ring, perhaps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I'd prefer something based on Silmarillion... but I don't know if that would sell good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul-Henri SEVE
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Personally I'd prefer something based on Silmarillion... but I don't know if that would sell good enough.

Unfortunately that will never happen, because Christopher Tolkien still holds the rights for the Silmarillion (which isn't the case for LoTR and the Hobbit), and he said he won't allow licensed products for it.

(edit : typo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.