Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading about this game and am interested but am also totally overwhelmed. I'm reading that for any real deck building you need multiple cores and multiples of the expansion packs. That compounded by the 20 (!) expansions has me somewhat hesitant to take the plunge.

Is this game worth the rather gouging plunge that I'm considering? Are some expansions more desirable? How do I determine what to by?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
While I'd recommend at least two Core Sets (preferably three), you definitely only want a maximum of one of every other released product.

I'd go so far as to say that you don't really need any of the expansions to get value out of the game, but rather could pick and choose what to get based on what you want to play with (a specific warlord or a couple of good cards). Edit - this is based on the assumption that you would only be playing casually (not that there will be much competitive play in the future due to the ending of FFG and GW's licensing agreement and 'premature' end of the game). Players with all available cards will be better equipped than someone with just a smattering of cards.

At a minimum, I'd suggest try the game with two Core Sets, as multiples of neutrals are really worth having. From there, I think I'd want the two 'big box' expansions that introduce Tyranids and Necrons (who aren't represented in the Core Set or previously released expansion packs) and then maybe pick and choose expansion packs as you see fit.

Broadly, I will say that Conquest is a great game, but it's not a simple or easy game. I had no pre-existing interest in the lore the game is based on, but I ended up fully buying in and playing in semi-regular tournaments. I have never felt like I've mastered it (or even gotten particularly good at it) but have had fun regardless.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need one copy of the expansions.

Okay, so FFG tiers its LCG releases into three categories.

Core Sets

You need these to play the game at all. It's the basic starter. Frequently you'll need a second or even third copy of this box, depending on the game. A single copy will work to introduce you to the game mechanics, and give you a rough feel of how the game plays. It's not enough to really dig into the game, just like how a couple starters for most CCGs will give you an entry point into the game, but won't bring you up to speed.

In the case of Conquest, the core set includes 7 factions, so the card pool for each is very strained. The easiest way to address this up front is by buying a second copy of core. With Conquest, a third core would have (probably) become optional during the next year or two, unfortunately Games Workshop killed the game before that could happen, so a third core is the way to go.

Deluxe Sets

These are smaller box sets. They'll usually contain under 200 cards (total). FFG used to release these with distributions that would require you to buy multiple copies of them as well. For example, Warhammer: Invasion's Assault on Ulthuan is another box that requires a triple purchase to have a complete play-set (three copies of each card).

Now, FFG has walked back from that in recent years, and the two Deluxe sets for Conquest are one-and-done purchases.

There are two Deluxe Sets for Conquest, and both are very useful to have. The Great Devourer adds the Tyranids, and Legions of Death add thee Necron factions. If you're familiar with 40k, their inclusion is a big deal.

To have a completely playable game, that's all you need. Three copies of the core set, and one copy of each deluxe.

EDIT: Strictly speaking, you don't even need the deluxe sets for playablility. But, if you're a fan of the setting, missing out on the Necrons or 'nids might be something you're unwilling to do.

Packs

In the case of Conquest, Battle Packs...

These are FFG's monthly releases. They cost $15 at retail, and are (financially) roughly equivalent to grabbing a fist full of booster packs in a normal CCG. Except, again, non-random. These include 20 cards, with 3 copies of each (so 60 cards total). (Technically, Conquest's packs look a little different, because they'll usually include 14(x3) or 17(x3) cards and include a Warlord or two with their signature squad(s) to fill out the pack.

As with Deluxe sets, way back when, FFG used to sell ones that required three copies to get a full playset, but they stopped doing that around the time Invasion got started. So, now, they're also a one-and-done purchase.

Packs are split into six release cycles. You can think of these like a CCG's normal expansion releases. They're usually 120 cards (though, Conquest's card counts tend to be a little higher (134/135 ect) because of the Warlords included). This is why you'll usually see people talking about the Warlord or Planetfall cycle. It's not one release, but six packs that, when combined, form a complete expansion release.

If you're going to cut anything, start with the cycles. They're nice but not necessary.

For Conquest specifically, your first priority for expansions is going to be the Planetfall cycle (the 7th through 12th packs). This shakes up the game the most. After that, the Warlord Cycle (the 1st through 6th packs) is worth your time. Death World (the final cycle) is nice, but could be very difficult to pick up, given its limited run. If you can nab packs of it, good, if not, don't worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks to both of you! I'm a big fan of the lore, so there's a lot to get excited about here, but it IS too bad about the GW FFG divorce. I'll probably start with 2 core and eventually get the tyranid and necron deluxe expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Awesome, thanks to both of you! I'm a big fan of the lore, so there's a lot to get excited about here, but it IS too bad about the GW FFG divorce. I'll probably start with 2 core and eventually get the tyranid and necron deluxe expansions.

That should do you very well for casual play. For this game, one core is a taste. Two cores is required for any sort of deck-building, and three cores is required for tournament quality decks. But given the fact that there are not going to be any more tournaments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend a third core and the two deluxe packs even for casual play. You'll have a fat deck of spare warlords from the extra cores, but a very playable set of cards for every faction (a deck's worth and neutrals). Tyranids and Necrons will have two decks+ worth of cards.

Any small packs you can find help the core factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
I would recommend a third core and the two deluxe packs even for casual play. You'll have a fat deck of spare warlords from the extra cores, but a very playable set of cards for every faction (a deck's worth and neutrals). Tyranids and Necrons will have two decks+ worth of cards.

Any small packs you can find help the core factions.

Yeah, I'm going to second this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky me, FFG has this title on holiday sale. Core is $30, Deluxe Expansions are $10, and the packs are $3 (!). So I got 3 cores, both deluxes, and the six packs from the last season for under $100!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think some full collections will be up for sale considering the game is now dead. Not my collection (I love this game), but I know for some people when the community dies down so does their enthusiasm for an LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.