DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Crisis Expansion Pack 2» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Star Sapphire - strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Star Sapphire a couple of times with HU's main deck cards but can't figure out how to effectively use her. Is she kind of weak? Or really advanced?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crujones33 wrote:
I've played Star Sapphire a couple of times with HU's main deck cards but can't figure out how to effectively use her. Is she kind of weak? Or really advanced?

If you can get a good number of Equipment she offers awesome deck cycling/manipulation. But it helps if you have a good idea of just what's left in your deck too.

Ease of use I'd say she's on the difficult end, takes a fair number of Equipment and finesse to use properly.
Power-wise she's probably in the middle.

Early game, before you get much Equipment, keep anything good on the top, pitch anything weak to the discard pile (Starters mainly, especially Starters).

Later (if/when you get a large amount of Equipment) better cards go to the bottom, worse cards get discarded. You want to be seeing (what started on) the bottom of your deck ASAP.

Legion Flight Rings are the best/cheapest card for her, get them if at all possible (note: you do card text first before 'trigger' effects, so you'd Draw a card and then use her ability).

You can also use her ability to 'peek' at the top card of you deck. This comes in handy for the HU Locations.

You can also use her to help set up card combo's. Examples (from HU):
Buy Manhunters. Early Manhunters go to the discard, the last couple stay in the deck.
See a Plastic Man/Kyle Rayner/other-Discard-dependent card early? To the bottom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I completely forgot about the part where I can place cards on the bottom of the deck with her. I will need to try her again.

I tried similar strategy with Zatanna but couldn't get it to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crujones33 wrote:
I tried similar strategy with Zatanna but couldn't get it to work well.

Zatanna is...tricky.
I haven't came up with anything solid for her yet (other than the Star Sapphire tips about putting things on bottom).
Defense cards are nice to put on the bottom with Zatanna, as most of those are better as a Defense than played.

Silk Spectre from Crossover 4 is also in a similar, but worse, place than Star Sapphire: "Each time you play a Hero during your turn, look at the top card of your deck. You may discard it."
Similar set-up, but without the "bottom" option. With her you NEED a good knowledge of what's currently left in your deck.

And the ability is so similar it makes me wonder why they nerfed it? Was Star Sapphire considered that great? Did they forget they already did (almost) the same thing already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.