Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No humor beyond this point...

I am very happy with the community I have become a part of for the past few weeks. (the BGG forums) I however would like to be a part of a tangible group of like-minded people and can't help but notice that there just aren't groups for teens at game stores. (Yes, I am a minor.)

Is there any particular reason why game stores, even those I have asked, don't want to host a public game group for teens?

I would like to hear your reasons but I could think of a few.
- Teens are rowdy...
- There is a steep drop off when it comes to aging that makes it hard for a group to sustain itself... people move on to better things
- Teens don't have time to make an ongoing group

And over all my final fear is that there just aren't people like me in my densely populated hometown area.
TYIA =Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
No humor beyond this point...

I am very happy with the community I have become a part of for the past few weeks. (the BGG forums) I however would like to be a part of a tangible group of like-minded people and can't help but notice that there just aren't groups for teens at game stores. (Yes, I am a minor.)

Is there any particular reason why game stores, even those I have asked, don't want to host a public game group for teens?

I would like to hear your reasons but I could think of a few.
- Teens are rowdy...
- There is a steep drop off when it comes to aging that makes it hard for a group to sustain itself... people move on to better things
- Teens don't have time to make an ongoing group

And over all my final fear is that there just aren't people like me in my densely populated hometown area.
TYIA =Dave

Go to a card shop. Observe the teenagers playing MTG, Yugioh and Pokemon. Look closely at their behaviour, and their interactions.

Now, ask yourself how many adults you know who will not just put up with that, but volunteer to suffer it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say most of the in store game groups I see are teens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could add -

Teens don't typically have a lot of free money to spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS has a lot of teens playing. In addition, holds a beginners Magic night and a beginners D&D night which is mostly teens. Also has a family day.

Use to, not sure if they still do, but had a home schooling day for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
You could add -

I don't know their current business plan, but there was a time GW focused on teens. Yes, they don't have money, but their parents do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility is that the store might simply be booked up every night. Even in smaller places, there is usually Friday night Magic, a night for Warhammer, a night for D&D, a night for Pathfinder, a board game night, and the popular events will have a second night as well. A group that wants to play one game will be upset if they have to share or give up space for a group who is going to play something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there is a cause, or effect relating to this.

When I go to board game events, conventions, groups, etc., one of the things I really enjoy is the generally mature, calm, friendly nature of the crowd. Everyone is generally a good loser, and a gracious winner. People are willing to allow anyone to jump in a game with them. There is minimal swearing, or rough language. Generally speaking, everyone is a mature individual.

The teenagers I've played with at the local game events have followed this same general unspoken code of conduct, so it should in no way be exclusive in that way. But perhaps it naturally attracts a different crowd?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See if there are any local groups on meetup.com. When is started my games group a few years ago, one of my regulars was a 15 year old. As long as you don’t mind playing games with a mix of ages, go for it. As long as you are respectful, most adults would be happy to game with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess - people between 12 and 20 are usually busy with other stuff than board gaming. Hence, a small market and therefore no retailers focussing on that group.

Is it therefore a dying art? In my opinion not. I already play board games since 1995 and it has always been that way. Gamers usually start (again) when they are a little older. For now it means you have to game with these boring old people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
For me it's just starting lol. Last August I bought my first non Monopoly board game : Dominion + Intrigue & Seaside. Then I bought Ascension, Nightfall and now I'm buying Mage Knight & Lost Legion expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
You could add -

I don't know their current business plan, but there was a time GW focused on teens. Yes, they don't have money, but their parents do.

I was a witness to this target in the market and I think that the company could have survived if it had their stores keep up with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ytter wrote:
I don't know if there is a cause, or effect relating to this.

When I go to board game events, conventions, groups, etc., one of the things I really enjoy is the generally mature, calm, friendly nature of the crowd. Everyone is generally a good loser, and a gracious winner. People are willing to allow anyone to jump in a game with them. There is minimal swearing, or rough language. Generally speaking, everyone is a mature individual.

The teenagers I've played with at the local game events have followed this same general unspoken code of conduct, so it should in no way be exclusive in that way. But perhaps it naturally attracts a different crowd?

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it just has to do with your location. Both my FLGS have teen oriented gaming activites scheduled every week plus a family day. You should check out the teen scene at your local public library- and maybe start a game group there. Local libraries in my area each have activities specifically for teens. If there isn't a gaming group, don't be afraid to ask if you can start one. Same can be said if there are no teen group/events at your game store. Ask. And be prepared to take the initiative since this is something YOU want to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot one: Gaming is an expensive hobby, and teens don't have money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:

Is it the game stores simply don't host open gaming, that they do have open gaming but nothing specific for teens, or that they specifically exclude teens from open gaming? I would hope it's not the third.

In my experience, teens playing Magic and other CCG's make up a bulk of the people gaming in game stores as well as provide much if not most of the income for these stores.

But IMO game stores are not the best places to find friendly gamers interested in playing a wide variety of board games. The growing number of game cafes can be good. Not sure where you are in Maryland - there's a cafe in College Park. Libraries can be good too. But the best place for a teenager would be in your own high school. Find a supportive teacher, start a board game club, steal students away from the chess club...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas LaMaster
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
I am the Law!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always do what I did while in high school: Start a club!

I founded a board game club, and we met every Tuesday after school. There had to be a teacher sponsor, which we got, and my mom would volunteer to help out. And by help out, I mean play board games with us because the teacher wasn't always around and the school rules said that there had to be an adult present for club activities.

We had a small group, but we always had a good time. We would bring games from home, and once or twice we pulled money to buy games that would remain at the school as property of the club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.