Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
The 2016 BoardGameGeek holiday gift guide is out! You can find it here:
Board_Game_Gift_Guide_2016

As always, the games in this guide are targeted at the casual player, people who wouldn't normally stop by BoardGameGeek. For that reason, we need your help to get the word out. At the top of the guide are buttons for sharing on Facebook, Reddit, and Google Plus. If you want to help spread the word about our great games, sharing this gift guide is one of the best ways to do it!

Thanks to everyone who helped work on the gift guide this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice work, thanks a lot! I just wondered whether this sentence...

Games in each category are arranged from the simplest and least complex game to learn to the most strategic.

...should mean sorting the games by their heaviness (user rating). At least the All-Time-Favorites are not arranged in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the Colt Express Amazon ad link seems to be broken.

Edit:

On my browser, it looks like this:

[amazonad objecttype=thing objectid=158899 ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of the amazon.co.uk links are giving somewhat inflated prices:

Get Carcassonne on Amazon.co.uk £64.99 (new edition is a more sensible price)
Get For Sale on Amazon.co.uk £165.90 (This link is a more sensible price)

Maybe the prices in the US are more sensible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
A fantastic resource! Well executed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an alternative list: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/216694/joakim589s-gift-gu...

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Thanks, I updated the amazon links to the newer versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, I never realized until this year how nearly useless this list is. I didn't much follow game releases this year, so I was hoping to find out what the favorite new releases were. Instead all I see is a listing of popular old games.

Please consider adding a new category for next year:
Best new games of the year

Edit: I realize this is meant primarily for the non-regular BGG visitors, so if I'm missing a different list meant for BGG regulars, please point me in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's not useless. It's just not for the purpose you were hoping.

I've pointed people towards it in previous years and they've found it very useful for getting into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I realize it's not meant for BGGers, hence my edit. Do you know of a list meant for regular gamers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Do you know of a list meant for regular gamers?

Wouldn't these be the Golden Geek Awards?

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BoardGameGeek_Golden_Gee...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great list and great resource. I shared to FB and conversation has already begun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool list. Nice job. I will share it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Wow, I never realized until this year how nearly useless this list is. I didn't much follow game releases this year, so I was hoping to find out what the favorite new releases were. Instead all I see is a listing of popular old games.
There have been no good games come out for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
tallboy wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
There have been no good games come out for years.

This is a well-known phenomenon, known as Cult of the Old. Hang on, that doesn't sound right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's a very nice list. There were some obvious omissions, but you can't include everything. I would have considered some of these:

Incan Gold
Can't Stop
Coloretto
Hey, That's My Fish!
The Resistance
PitchCar
BANG! The Dice Game
6 nimmt!
Alhambra
Blokus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drummond
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Awesome list! Thanks for putting it together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could also add Shutupandsitdown's gift guide from 2013. Or who is allowed to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Cloud
Florida
flag msg tools
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
That's a very nice list. There were some obvious omissions, but you can't include everything. I would have considered some of these:

Incan Gold
Can't Stop
Coloretto
Hey, That's My Fish!
The Resistance
PitchCar
BANG! The Dice Game
6 nimmt!
Alhambra
Blokus

Excellent comment. I concur. Some of these games had only been omitted in previous years because they were not available for sale.

Someone should review which of these and others from previous years should cycle back on with availability.

Has there been a discussion on how or what to update in the last couple of years?

I also think the graphics should be rotated. The same header images used year after year is boring. Having the links to previous years and a note to "look at previous lists" would be much more fun if there was more of a swing from year to year.

It's a good list to be sure and some updates and switches have been made so I'm sure someone has done some of this already.

Just my 2-cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
kevintlee wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:

Incan Gold
Can't Stop
Coloretto
Hey, That's My Fish!
The Resistance
PitchCar
BANG! The Dice Game
6 nimmt!
Alhambra
Blokus

Excellent comment. I concur. Some of these games had only been omitted in previous years because they were not available for sale.

Someone should review which of these and others from previous years should cycle back on with availability.

Has there been a discussion on how or what to update in the last couple of years?

I also think the graphics should be rotated. The same header images used year after year is boring. Having the links to previous years and a note to "look at previous lists" would be much more fun if there was more of a swing from year to year.

It's a good list to be sure and some updates and switches have been made so I'm sure someone has done some of this already.

Just my 2-cents.

There's a thread every year asking users what should be included, and the results of that determine what games make the cut. Reading the list this year has inspired me to look for For Sale and No Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Greenaway
United Kingdom
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a round about way this list does the job. It's old and boring and doesn't really provide me with a great selection of light , casual games to get me into this fantastic hobby, But as a new member and player to board games in general and also to BGG I find myself using this wonderful web reference to find games like Carcassonne,machi koro,odins ravens,jamaica,elder sign,stone age and king of Tokyo all of which I have found through BGG and have successfully introduced my entire family to this amazing board game experience.I really couldn't thank BGG enough for providing this opportunity. So please keep posting the games that are on these lists. As a successful newcomer I can say it has done it's job. Thank you everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kamps
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good list, one gripe, why Tsuro instead of Indigo (which I feel is superior)? The only real reason I can see why is the player count can go higher with Tsuro, & that it was on Tabletop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite many games were suggested to be new to the list (50 maybe), but only a few were we able to voit for (maybe less then 10). I think that is sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rachfal
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The listing of other gift guides for "The Morning News: 2016" should be combined with this entry:

Matthew Baldwin's Gift Guides for the Morning News: 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why isn't Monopoly on the list? I mean, Catan is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.