Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Coal Baron vs. Haspelknecht. Which game do you prefer, or would recommend? Please not only vote, but leave a comment as to why you made the choice you did. Thank you.
Haspelknecht
Coal Baron
Other (Please leave suggestion as a comment below)
      45 answers
Poll created by Lumpfuggit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stonewall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are both great games. I like Haspelknecht a little better because I think it's a little deeper, and has more replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdxloki wrote:
These are both great games. I like Haspelknecht a little better because I think it's a little deeper, and has more replay value.

Thanks for the info!

I played Coal Baron once. It was good, but nothing that wow'ed me all that much. I thought the mine shaft mechanism was nice, if a bit gimmicky. Then I stumbled upon Haspelknecht and it seemed to be a bit more interesting, plus it looks like it scratches the exact same itch. So I am essentially trying to decide between the two. I don't think I need/want both. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Haspelknecht. It has more of an intricate feel to it. Coal Baron felt very polished, but I like games with some rough edges and corners left to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both very good. I voted for H mostly because I really like the action selection mechanism better than the more traditional worker-placement (modified) system in Coal Baron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it is pretty clear which game has it. Even if the voting were closer, there are no comments in support of the votes for CB. But that is essentially what I was thinking. Haspelknecht it is. Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked "other" because I like both games for different reasons. I'm a huge K&K fan, and Coal Baron is one of their really good ones. It's a little easier to teach players who don't care for heavy decision making games. What I like about Haspelknecht, though we haven't done it yet, is the idea that the "tech tree" can be laid out in a lot of configurations and I'm very interested to see how that changes game play.

I own them both, and don't plan on getting rid of either of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So how was Haspelknecht? I've played and like Coal Baron, but haven't played Haspelknecht yet. Looks to be more rules-heavy.

I'm wondering how many voters had played both. I'm guessing not many and that Haspelknecht won mainly because it's newer and has a little buzz so more have played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.