Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
I own everything without the Zyla expansion. Here are my 2 cents:

Caught in a Web
Queen Ariad speeds up the boss battle for both good and bad. I'd probably play this more often than margoth now.

Gilded Blade
Lot more swingy cards which I end up not enjoying, Guardian axe was snatched up early via a quest, comparing other high end ones in base game, those are more niche. I also decided to carry contraband to a mountain village, don't do it.

The Mountain Rises
I didn't get to try much of the content yet (yes the dilution factor), I was a coward Nanok and it didn't work, I am still bothered by stacking shield tokens on him.

Love to hear what everyone else thinks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Zyla expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
defiantly like the caught in the web as you say seems like a sped up margath but also no actions are wasted on lore tokens its all for gold and items and quest..seems very focused

cart say i noticed much different with mountains and blade expansions, i keep to the rules to avoid dilution e.g using 3 decks not all them and 20 cards not 30+. its nice to have a new token to play with there is a little more focus on mountains and roads .. but not enough base game games to compare..

Zyla
the dark tokens negatives do you an "interesting negative" and as i posted in solo variants play though once no boss battle then, play though again vs your last hero.

summary:
Webs the best and the other two Mount and Blade add variety to shops and ecnouthers if you where getting a little board seeing the same things..zyla best multiplayer for a talisman like ending with a twist on gaining negative cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far all of them suck big time. Overpriced derivative content with just more of the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
So far all of them suck big time. Overpriced derivative content with just more of the same.

So, do you like them or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

For the most part, I would agree with this. The packs that just contain extra items and skills are a bit "meh", and the spider scenario is okay but unremarkable.

The only one that feels even slightly different is the one with the PvP scenario, though I can understand many people not enjoying a PvP ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i haven't been able to pick up the expansions yet, but it kind of sounds like we're gonna have to wait for a big box for any real type of content

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I beta tested them all, and I give them a solid, 'meh'.
I really like the base game, and how it is set up for expansion. But, these first four are very lackluster.
There wasn't a single thing in any of them that made me want to go out and buy them, and we're huge Runebound fans in this house.

They are mediocre at best, and definitely not worth the price - $100CAD for all four is ridiculous for what they actually add to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
I really like the base game, and how it is set up for expansion. But, these first four are very lackluster.
There wasn't a single thing in any of them that made me want to go out and buy them, and we're huge Runebound fans in this house.

They are mediocre at best, and definitely not worth the price - $100CAD for all four is ridiculous for what they actually add to the game.

As a beta tester were you able to provide feedback on them? And what type of content would you like to see added?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
dougposkitt wrote:
The Zyla expansion?

I was referring to Fall of the Dark star scnario pack... containing Zyla inside the expansion

Milarky wrote:
[...]

cart say i noticed much different with mountains and blade expansions, i keep to the rules to avoid dilution e.g using 3 decks not all them and 20 cards not 30+. its nice to have a new token to play with there is a little more focus on mountains and roads .. but not enough base game games to compare..

I did follow the rules, you still get diluted from randomly selecting 20 adventure cards, and my set up did not include skills from the mountain rises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Iliad_Keys wrote:
Ghool wrote:

As a beta tester were you able to provide feedback on them? And what type of content would you like to see added?

Just a reminder: testers are not allowed to share details about the testing process, and their NDA lasts life-long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Iliad_Keys wrote:
Ghool wrote:

Just a reminder: testers are not allowed to share details about the testing process, and their NDA lasts life-long.

I've always found this weird. What is the logic behind it (I know there must be something that I am missing here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the content being tested might be used in future, unreleased expansions. There's the possibility of controversy with fans over content that was cut or altered. Sometimes there's discussion about marketing or business issues that a company wouldn't share with the public, since it's got nothing to do with the product being developed (but would be valuable intel for competitors.)

The email hacks in this election cycle certainly demonstrated the value of things said behind closed doors remaining there, at least from the perspective of the people being outed.

Then there's the general laziness/cautiousness of lawyers in general. They'll add over-reaching restrictions to any contract given the opportunity, since most people will sign the contracts. I don't know why chain restaurant sandwich shop employees had to sign non-compete agreements, but it's something that actually happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Some of the content being tested might be used in future, unreleased expansions. There's the possibility of controversy with fans over content that was cut or altered. Sometimes there's discussion about marketing or business issues that a company wouldn't share with the public, since it's got nothing to do with the product being developed (but would be valuable intel for competitors.)

The email hacks in this election cycle certainly demonstrated the value of things said behind closed doors remaining there, at least from the perspective of the people being outed.

Then there's the general laziness/cautiousness of lawyers in general. They'll add over-reaching restrictions to any contract given the opportunity, since most people will sign the contracts. I don't know why chain restaurant sandwich shop employees had to sign non-compete agreements, but it's something that actually happened.

Exactly what Neil said.

Add to this that if testers start sharing details, then suddently an army of experts will rise, saying "hey, this was better, this was crap, why didn't they go this way, the designer sucks big time, and so on". Once the game is out, the game is out, period.

Take Ghool's post for example: the fact that he was a beta tester for these expansions has no impact on his opinion of the game or on how these expansions are, but will only raise questions such as "didn't they listen to your feedback?" or "why is the game done this way then?", which are irrelevant for how people like the expansions.

And beware this doesn't mean that as tester he's forced to like the expansions (everyone's more than welcome to dislike RuneBound or any other game, had he worked on it or not), but simply that being or not being testers has no meaning on us liking or not liking the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald I
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I really like fallen star. Starborn spectre is a touch opponent anytime in the first chapter for most heroes and the choice between dark shards and corruption is a good one. The story cards really give different objectives that might pull you away for the usual choice around skills and assets.

I don't quite understand the PvP objection. That is precisely what I like about this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW...my two cents on expansions:

I figure a movie with the family is going to run around $50-$60 when you add in some popcorn, soda, etc. End-to-end, maybe three hours. And that's not counting if you go out to dinner.

So, a $20 expansion for a game, even if it only gets played a couple times, is more bang for the buck, from where I'm sitting.

I'll go see a movie with the family every now and then, but, in my opinion, I'll pick up the expansions and figure that, even if they only hit the table once or twice, I've still gotten my money's worth out of the bargain.

Just my opinion, of course, but that's my logic on it. They may not add too much mechanically, but it gives a little more mileage to the game. My daughter likes the idea of playing different fantasy "books" with the Runebound game, even if she only wants to play them once or twice. This is the game, so far, that she got out, set up, and woke me up Sunday morning to play, so I'll purchase the expansions and play them over the next few months, if only intermittently.

I'm pleased with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read Ariad expansion description I reacted with big 'meh'. It seemed like clone of Margath scenario. Once I played it I liked it so much I already have more Ariad plays than Margath ones. For some reason it just feels so much better. I'm caught in the web.

I don't like Zyla nor PvP scenario. I often play 3rd Runebound solo, making decisions for enemies, or just play with 2 players. Quite often the other player is my fiancee, who doesn't like direct conflict games too much. Also, Runebound is a bit too long for direct conflict game. Finally, I don' like final battle rules.

I love Red Scorpion expansion. First of all, it replaces old mini for Red Scorpion(UGLY) with new, quite good one. Then, it ads advertisements to item decks. I don't play without them anymore. You cannot undermine weight of advertisement. As for Tactics token... I find it very confusing and hard to explain to players.

The Mountain expansion isn't very good. I guess it has charge tokens in it, right? I don't really like the items it provides and I'm mixed on Nanok. Too bad, since he was one of my favorites in both Descents and 2nd Runebound.

Overall - 2 expansions I found more than worth the price, 1 almost worth the price, and 1 totally not worth it. So I'm pretty happy with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm.... Myself, I guess I was expecting the scenarios/packs to be derivative, so I wasn't disappointed with them. What I expected was variations or tweaks on the general mechanics with different thematic adventures to experience. Thought they succeeded quite well there!

Because I was happy with the base content, I think I approached the expansions the same way I'd look at a computer RPG/MMO expansion. More of the same core, but I wasn't looking for anything radical different in rules. I wasn't even consciously assessing the mechanical variations too much. Just the thematic variations to spice things up. Increasing the mileage of the game, as was said.

For example, the search to accumulate knowledge to vanquish the rise of Margath the dragon, the eradication of the growing zombie horde to defeat Vorakesh, and the creeping infestation of the spider queen Ariad. All thematically well realized within the board game framework and fun to play. [While I have Dark Star, haven't played yet as I've tried to avoid rushing through the number of available scenarios and only inject them as needed.]

The adventure packs I think all I was expecting was 'more of the same', hoping they would negate some game-to-game repetitiveness of drawing the same finite amount of cards (i.e. akin to my interest in expansions for Eldrich Horror -- I just wanted more of the same). I liked the introduction of the charge mechanic rules as a minor nuance, but more indifferent to the tactics mechanic. Really just things I saw as bonuses than truly holding my interest.

Purely from a perspective of fleshing out the base game with thematic variations, I'd say the expansions have delivered that and worth it if the base is enjoyed. Although, the base with all four expansions strikes me more like the 'base game' I'd have wanted it to be...

If they keep coming out with same or better (relative to those looking for different/expanded experiences), I imagine I'll continue to be equally pleased with our further adventures in Terrinoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to how they will include a big box expansion, and how it will work.
I've picked up a couple of these expansions every time I visit the LGS, and just find other ways to better spend the money before I make it to the register. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've been ok.

I'm still holding out hope FFG will announce a big box expansion, ala Sands of Al-kalim, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
They've been ok.

I'm still holding out hope FFG will announce a big box expansion, ala Sands of Al-kalim, etc.

I have been seeing a lot of talk about a Big Box but looks like there's nothing official on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, the last news article was August 22, talking about one of the expansions now released.

Nothing since that date that could be called news.

It's kind of sad that people are now so suspicious of FFG that some buyers (myself included) will not purchase any of the four released boxes because "what if" FFG decides to drop this line? It's not like they'd tell us.

Here's hoping a big box is being worked on by somebody (they must have at least one employee to spare who isn't "printing Star Wars money" for them.

I do tend to take the line that any game is playable if it's playable. In other words, even if FFG drops Runebound entirely, you can still play what you have of it.

EDIT: Oops, forgot the OP: thanks to the ppl who posted their impressions of the four boxes, those types of quickie impressions are always very helpful for a future purchaser (me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.