Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone

I am no mathmetician. I wish I were good at number issues like this but sadly I'm not.

Here is my question.

There are ten characters to choose from. Given a game might be played solo with one character, then played solo with two characters ... all the way through to being played solo with five characters, how many possible combination of solo plays would that constitute?

Whatever the answer to this, that would then be multiplied by the four movies in the box ... I do not have the math skills to work this out, but I am guessing the number would be large huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse my historic maths skills (and a bit of googling), but I believe in order to calculate the number of combinations (how many possible selections) when selecting a subset (how many hands you want) from a set of distinct objects (how avatars there are):

Combinations - C
Subset - S
Number of possible distinct objects - N

C = N! / (S! x (N-S)!)

So for 5 hands with a choice of 10 avatars:

C = 10! / (5! x (10-5)!) = 3628800 / (120*120) = 252

So that's 252 combinations of avatars just from playing 5 hands.

I ran the numbers on 1-5 hands of avatars and the numbers are 252 + 210 + 120 + 45 + 10 = 637

Across the x4 'out of the box' movies that would be 2548 combinations.

If you want to take it one step further and ignore the movies as they are, and assume you are always selecting 4 barracks characters from the 16, which are not related by movie, that gives 1820 possible combinations of barracks characters. Which when multiplied by the number of possible avatar combinations, give you a total possible number of unique setups of 637 * 1820 = 1159340 (1.15 million)

I suggest you get playing and feel free to correct my maths if it's wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and that is not counting in the possible crossovers (Alien vs. Predator springs to mind, but others too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
Excuse my historic maths skills (and a bit of googling), but I believe in order to calculate the number of combinations (how many possible selections) when selecting a subset (how many hands you want) from a set of distinct objects (how avatars there are):

Combinations - C
Subset - S

C = N! / (S! x (N-S)!)

I ran the numbers on 1-5 hands of avatars and the numbers are 252 + 210 + 120 + 45 + 10 = 637

If you want to take it one step further and ignore the movies as they are, and assume you are always selecting 4 barracks characters from the 16, which are not related by movie, that gives 1820 possible combinations of barracks characters. Which when multiplied by the number of possible avatar combinations, give you a total possible number of unique setups of 637 * 1820 = 1159340 (1.15 million)

Many thanks for the math Iain.

I do not intend to go through 1.15 million combinations However, even if one limited oneself to 1-4 player combinations, that's still 1,540 plays (which at one per day would take 4.22 years!)

And then there's the expansion coming out shortly!

I can honestly say I cannot remember the last time I have had so much fun at the gaming table. The way those hive cards creep through the complex gives me a sense of foreboding each and every game (you just KNOW that nasties are gonna pop out!). I agonise every time I play a hand ... Do I scan a card? Will it be an event that triggers the egg already showing? Can I afford yet another strike against my character? etc etc etc.

For a thematic and extremely tense gaming experience there cannot be many games that can top this? Or can there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Disappointing - this makes it so much less varied than Dominion's core!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo K
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:

Combinations - C
Subset - S

C = N! / (S! x (N-S)!)

We could also add Hive scenario config into equation, so 4 possible first objective * 4 second * 4 third, equaling to next 64 combinations.
This and 1.15m avatar & HQ combination gives us 74197760 (74m) different plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KubisPL wrote:
We could also add Hive scenario config into equation, so 4 possible first objective * 4 second * 4 third, equaling to next 64 combinations.
This and 1.15m avatar & HQ combination gives us 74197760 (74m) different plays

If only we could live forever huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.