Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what other people think about this new kid in town:

After a learning session and a second game trying to win, but lost ...my thoughts are:

1. It is closer in mechanics to Warhammer Quest Card game then Lord of the Ring LCG.

2. It is even more fiddly than the Warhammer Card game.

3. It tells a great story but it is not good at repeated play.

4. Why would I invest in a solo card game when Eldritch Horror is way more open, tells a good story too and can be replayed more often.

----

My initial impression is that I put it under the LotR LCG (solo) and under the SW LCG (2 player), about on par with the Warhammer CG and in the Lovecraft universe my ranking would be :

1. EH
2. AH
3. ES
4. AH LCG
5. MoM 2

I didn't play the Chtuluh LCG... and while I loved MoM1, the MoM2 is rather bland monster bashing through an App.

Am I the only one who thinks this LCG is not really filling a gap like EH, AH or ES ?

Of course expansions may change this but what do you think now that you played it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I never played the Lord of the Rings LCG, but was instantly in love with the Warhammer Quest Card game - what a shame, that it is now dead!
2 Fiddly because of the deckbuilding? Or when playing? During play, I never thought of it as fiddly.
3 Absolutely true. This game needs expansions!
4 I sold my copy (but mainly because of other reasons). I have 52 recorded plays of Eldritch Horror (using always all available expansions) and the game's replayability is still very high; it also tells a great story, but not as good as the AH LCG. But definitely good enough for me. EH is one of my most beloved games ever for sure.
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it feels like a blending of the crafted narrative of the Mansions of Madness games combined with the individual character moments and sense of place/atmosphere of Arkham Horror. It also plays much faster than any of the other Arkham games (barring perhaps Elder Sign, but that's the one game in the line I don't care for).

It's an LCG, so the episodic nature and campaign play make this more dependent on expansions and things like PoD scenarios to tell a complete story. Personally I'm loving the game and am excited to see where this model takes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:

I (so far) disagree with this. I've played a few times with the same scenario/investigator combo and enjoy it more each time. Perhaps that's because for me, the story is less important than interesting tactical decisions, and once I've seen the locations and possible card mix, I can make much more informed decisions about how to approach the scenario. But clearly your milage may vary.
Ben_Bos wrote:
4. Why would I invest in a solo card game when Eldritch Horror is way more open, tells a good story too and can be replayed more often. Am I the only one who thinks this LCG is not really filling a gap like EH, AH or ES ?

This in no way replaces AH for me. Not even close. But as you alluded to by comparing it to Warhammer Quest: ACG it does help ease the loss of that game being dead-ended. It's a little mythos feel in a smaller/quicker package, which some nights is just what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Oh yes. Warhammer Quest was the testing grounds for AH LCG.
2. I also don't find it fiddly... Far from it in fact, I find it pretty straight-forward. WH:Q of course was even simpler though, so in comparison...
3. The story part is amazing to me. Everything about a scenario is there to reinforce the story. I think they did an amazing job with this.
4. I can't compare. Haven't played EH.

Compared to other LCG's I'd say this is not trying to attract the same crowd. Clearly with the story heavy play and option to choose difficulty, they're gunning for a broader audience. The deckbuilding is also more limited (2copies max in 30card decks) and there's higher randomness than in most other LCG's. You'll also need to make decks that cater to all situations: you'll need intelligence to deal with encounters, you'll need wisdom to investigate, and you'll need either fight or flee to deal with monsters. This means that the decks need to be all-rounders and not super-focused, which feels like a step away from combo-heavy decks in other LCG's (though it's an impression). All of this makes me feel that this is going another direction.

The gameplay itself also emulates more of a boardgame feel with the moving between locations, evading at locations. But using this format I feel that they can tell much tighter and more interesting stories than they could in AH or EH. And that aspect I enjoy.

I think in the end it's not as much a hardcore LCG-gamers game, and more of an ever expandable boardgame of sorts? Curious to see what they'll do with the cards in the upcoming expansions.

It doesn't fill the LCG gap for me, but it does sub for AH and EH, as far as I'm concerned (though I wouldn't be playing those in groups either - I wouldn't play AHLCG with more than 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
To me, it feels like a blending of the crafted narrative of the Mansions of Madness games combined with the individual character moments and sense of place/atmosphere of Arkham Horror. It also plays much faster than any of the other Arkham games (barring perhaps Elder Sign, but that's the one game in the line I don't care for).

It's an LCG, so the episodic nature and campaign play make this more dependent on expansions and things like PoD scenarios to tell a complete story. Personally I'm loving the game and am excited to see where this model takes it.

Agree, just about exactly my thoughts here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be the oddball, in that I don't see it as anything like Warhammer. After several play-throughs of that game, I realized it just wasn't fun for me. It felt overly structured and offered little but gobs of monsters on top of you constantly. Just didn't enjoy it.

This game, on the other hand, I am really enjoying. It also is highly structured, but each scenario is quite different from the others in movement options, story, and challenges to overcome.

I also love Eldritch Horror--a simply splendid game that offers unlimited replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ben_Bos wrote:
I wonder what other people think about this new kid in town:

After a learning session and a second game trying to win, but lost ...my thoughts are:

1. It is closer in mechanics to Warhammer Quest Card game then Lord of the Ring LCG.

2. It is even more fiddly than the Warhammer Card game.

4. Why would I invest in a solo card game when Eldritch Horror is way more open, tells a good story too and can be replayed more often.

1. I cant imagine how you came to that. Not even close. Warhammer quest you had 4 things you did, the entire game. That's it. This has a lot of the same elements LOTR LCG has, just modified a little and more free on choices you make.

2. You need to give better description then "fiddly". Or at the very least explain what you mean. Warhammer Quest, while I liked it, was super simple. Not many options or choices. This has a ton more choices you can do.

3. Not good how? You can at the very least go through it in 3 different ways it seems thus far in just the core campaign. Plus the Side quest curse expansion was created to have a lot of replay ability. In the 7 times ive played just the first mission of the core, the results are vastly different. Some good, some horrid.

4. Because like most "solo" games while you can do it, its pretty boring to do by yourself. Just because its an option doesn't make it why the game was created. Arkham LCG is vastly more fun and enjoyable with others. To me, I couldn't ever understand playing a game that's playable with 2+ as a solo. Find people or don't buy it IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Warhammer Quest, so I can't answer 1 or 2, but

3. I think replayability is huge. I have played scenario 1 eight times solo. Next, I plan to play teams of 2 against it in most possible combinations. No game has played the same. How the story plays with Skids and how it plays with Wendy are completely different. So, every time I play, it feels like a new story unfolding.

4. I also love Eldritch Horror. Even after 30+ plays of it, I keep coming back. There is room for both games in my world (and some Cthulhu Wars in between)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
1. I cant imagine how you came to that. Not even close. Warhammer quest you had 4 things you did, the entire game. That's it.

LOL... I was really confused how anyone could think that, until...

scourn1 wrote:
4. Because like most "solo" games while you can do it, its pretty boring to do by yourself.

Warhammer ACG is brilliant solo because those 4 actions (per character) make super interesting combos and have all sorts of tactical decision making. But yeah, multi-player I can see how it would get boring since you only have your own character to command.

And I personally feel Arkham LCG is also waaaay better solo for similar reasons. But that's cool you disagree. Hooray for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It is a mix between WHQ:TACG and LOTR:TCG with a little A:N thrown in.
2. Neither is fiddly.
3. Sortof. As it happens, with story-heavy games, the story part won't be as interesting as it was on the first play, but you can still play the scenarios multiple times. But, yeah, regular expansions are needed. Good thing, this is an LCG.
4. Because AH LCG is the better game (IMHO, anyways)!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
2. Neither is fiddly.

Dissent. I suspect you mean that neither game is fiddly in a bad way because you are - as I (and many gamers here) am - a game violinist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played most of those mythos games, Lotr Lcg and most Lcg:s that has been released. Pathfinder adventure card game and a lot of different board games.

1. Can not comment, bacause not familiar with Warhammer.
2. Fidly, Yep like most Ffg mythics games. A lot of tokens, different cards, Many rules and so on. Used to it, but fiddly definitely. Not so fidle as AH, but maybe Little more than EH...
3. This has more replay value than AH or EH have, because you can modify your character by using XP. In AH and EH the game is always the same. (A good one though. a lot depends on what you happen to get from the shops, but in general the games Are the same, collect clues, get upgrades and so on.) In AH Lcg you can develop your character in different ways (this is like very light rpg, with very limited character development. You stats remains mainly same, but your assest change.)
4. Definitely a matter of taste. I like EH above AH board game because it is less fiddle. EH is one of the games I play a lot. AH Lcg on the other hand is more character orientated, when EH is GOO orientated. One Gaming session of EH is a whole package. You need 8 playing sessions to get whole package from AH Lcg. Ones again AH Lcg is more like long story or rpg campaign. I think that They suits to different persons. I am a rpg Person so Patfinder adventures and AH Lcg offer better Gaming experience to me. Much like I like TV series often more that one shot movies. So completely a matter of taste.

In Lcg games, this is now Number one because of that tiny RPG part in it. The Lotr come close second, then Games of Thrones 2nd ed in multiplayer format. Then Netrunner, SW and Then rest.

Mythos games is much harder.
At this moment it is this, but AH Lcg can pass EH in the near future... AH Lcg needs one Deluxe and six scenarios to do it. But EH was not so Great before first expansion. It was getting dull guite soon, but the expansion did make it so much better. But in my gategory AH Lcg has a lot of potential. Interesting to see if it fills expectations or not.
EH
AH lcg
MM2
AH
ES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Sparks
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure why you call it a solo card game when it's obviously designed for both solo and cooperative play, and the cooperative mechanics are quite good with the different balancing of characters.

Regarding "not filling a gap" it totally does - it sits well alongside EH being more structured in its story approach, the persistent character development, and having a shorter play-time. With kids and full-time work and other hobbies I do not always have the luxury of committing to a full game of EH and this with its speedy setup and gameplay provides an enjoyable alternative. I also appreciate the more localized scale and progressive location unlocking as a refreshing change to EH's globetrotting adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
There is definitely a LoTR ghost in the shell in AH but at the end if the day they feel quite differemt and dont scratch the same itch. I love this game more than LoTR so far but it does not replace that game for me because I love deck building. This might change when the card pool expands but I am guessing it wont.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.