Subject: Puerto Rico vs Macao vs Goa vs Navegador rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Hi,

Two questions:

1. Which is these games can be played well the first time, I mean which need little or no memorisation of the game components?

2. Which of these games play well with 2-3P ?

Puerto Rico
Macao
Goa
Navegador

Any other explorer / trader games set in an exotic / historic setting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa is absolutely cracking with 2P. A quick look through the tiles pre-play will give you all the info you need.

Navegador and PR are games that benefit from extensive knowledge and repeated play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all pretty heavy games and I personally would keep the rule book close by for all of them. Goa, however, is probably the easiest to learn. Goa also has very high replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Hi,

Two questions:

1. Which is these games can be played well the first time, I mean which need little or no memorisation of the game components?

Puerto Rico
Macao
Goa
Navegador

Any other explorer / trader games set in an exotic / historic setting?

Answering. Neither of those games has complex rules. They can be played well for the first time from the rules point of view. That said, you'll not play so well for the first time from the strategic point of view. They all have a learning curve. Maybe the easier to understand from the strategic point of view is Navegador, Puerto Rico the most complex, the ranking being:

Puerto Rico > Goa > Macao > Navegador

Memorization. Navegador has nothing to memorize. Macao has a lot of different cards, but you only have to read the cards to understand their effects. Goa has a lot of tiles with some iconography, you may have to consult the reference sheet a little in your first game, but it's not hard to figure out what they are after 1-2 games. Puerto Rico has a lot of different buildings. They all are available to be bought and what they do is printed on them. So, to learn how to play, you don't need to memorize what all buildings do, but the play the game well from the strategic point of view you must do it. However, it comes naturally as your skill in the game evolves.

Number of players. Puerto Rico and Macao work really fine with 2-3 players and I have played them many times with this player count and liked it, but I think they shine more when you play with 4 (when they become tighter games). Puerto Rico is a more balanced game with more players. Navegador works well with 3 (I never played with 2) but also seems to be better with more players because the dispute for space makes the game more thrilling and you have the same space on the board regardless of the player count (the same applies to Macao). I never played Goa with less than 4 and I suspect it doesn't work so well with less players because it's an auction game.

Explorer/trader games with hystorical/exotic setting. You have to understand that, except for Navegador maybe, that I think is highly thematic and really has a thematic exploration mechanic, all those games are euros highly abstract, so you won't see much exploration. With Puerto Rico you'll see none at all. In Goa you can colonize distant lands, but it's all very abstract. In Macao you merely move your single ship to deliver goods. In Navegador, you effectively move ships along the world map, "discover" new regions and colonize them. From this point of view, it's the less abstract of the bunch. But though all 4 are very good games, I like the other 3 better than Navegador.

From the top of my head, another game I can remember where you move ships along a map to discover new regions is Amerigo. I'm sure I and others will remember other games later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Thanks.

A clarification:

The question is not whether these games need you to memorise every rule in the book.

The question is rather 'which of these games benefit from extensive knowledge and repeated play'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
-xXx- wrote:

This is a stupid question because it emphasises a counter-productive The game must work well immediately or else!-attitude, but I'll answer it anyway: Navegador. The rest all have cards and buildings and tiles which will take a few games at least to settle in. But all games you've listed need settling-in time to begin with, so the matter really is self-defeating.

Quote:

Goa is very strong with 2; personally I'd disrecommend Navegador for 2 because one of its key aspects, the market, will not function properly at that number. Macao and Puerto Rico are mildly interactive at this point, and more about simply doing better than the opponent than actively hindering him every step of the way.

At 3 I'd say there is no clear difference in which game plays best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
-xXx- wrote:
The question is rather 'which of these games benefit from extensive knowledge and repeated play'.

All of them, although they achieve it in different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.