Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read through a number of the best expansion threads but more of my games get played solo than group recently so i wondered if any expansion is particularly engaging for a solo player either mechanically or story wise. I know it should be similar but now and again some expansion from FFG work better through group interactions.

I am not looking for more difficulty really - i find my win ratio low enough not to push that up. Also i am not overly bothered by getting loads of new investigators either. I am more interested in story and content choice.

Is Forsaken Lore the best one to get for its overall benefit or did Strange Remnants surpass it ?
Does having a second board make this game better, harder, more complicated ?
Should i just wait for Dreamlands - i do like the look of that board and a spider ancient one ?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
Forsaken Lore makes the game harder but it also gives the base game more cards (that should have been in the base game in the first place IMHO...) which give a lot more variety. Without it the base location decks are pretty sparse.

Other than Forsaken Lore I'd pick Under The Pyramids if you are looking for a big box expansion.

Mountains of Madness is an easier expansion I think if you want some give? It brings in the Focus mechanism which helps with re rolls (although you could proxy that into the base game quite easily).

We are having an edit conversation!

The second board is additional travel - although both do have mechanisms to make it easier to both get to the expansion board and to travel within it (local paths, Dog Sleds, that sort of thing). But yes you will spend actions getting to and from the boards and moving within them which makes it a little more time pressured. Generally the boards are excellent thematically and add a lot from a story point of view. But yes they make things a little more complicated and difficult re time, planning routes and just simply having more locations where 'things can go wrong!'

Dreamlands might be difficult without knowing how it plays... so that might prove to be a problem if it is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crusaderlord wrote:
Is Forsaken Lore the best one to get for its overall benefit or did Strange Remnants surpass it ?
Forsaken Lore is great as a patch for the core game.
Strange Remnants is great as an actual expansion.

crusaderlord wrote:
Does having a second board make this game better(...)?
No.

crusaderlord wrote:
Does having a second board make this game (...)harder(...)?
Not directly. The difficulty is much more tied to the Ancient One/Prelude that called for the sideboard. From what I've seen, settings that use sideboard are rather easy (compared to others).

crusaderlord wrote:
Does having a second board make this game (...)more complicated ?
Depends on the sideboard. Antarctica has some extra complexity tied to it, Pyramids - not really, Dreamlands - we shall see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forsaken Lore certainly has the most value - it doesn't have new Investigators, putting almost all of its content into the basic cards so that your decks don't go stale as quickly. It doesn't make the stories better, but it helps prevent repetition from dragging the stories down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as I understand it, we should go for the small expansions only, as the board expansions just make the playing area more cumbersome ?

Of course you will miss out on some investigators ...

OP: I always play EH solo and only played it once with my son. Playing with 2 investigators is hard enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st buy Forsaken Lore and mix it in, then buy Strange Remnants and play vs Azathoth with the Mystic Runes prelude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I like EH but was never crazy about it. That is, until two days ago I bought and played Under the Pyramid. This is my first and only EH expansion. I played the game with the Egyptian side board, and I fought against The Dark Pharaoh. I soloed the game with 3 investigators and it was an amazing experience! Under the Pyramid completely changed my view about EH and now I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
I was underwhelmed by Forsaken Lore. I don't play regularly enough to feel any staleness in the decks, so it just made things harder. People say it's a must buy, but I'd only agree if you're looking for that variety in the decks (which you sorta get with other expansions) without many gameplay changes.

Plus I put a lot of value in having more playable characters, so Forsaken Lore wasn't for me. Really depends what you're after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
I was underwhelmed by Forsaken Lore. I don't play regularly enough to feel any staleness in the decks, so it just made things harder. People say it's a must buy, but I'd only agree if you're looking for that variety in the decks (which you sorta get with other expansions) without many gameplay changes.

Plus I put a lot of value in having more playable characters, so Forsaken Lore wasn't for me. Really depends what you're after.

The reason for Forsaken Lore's popularity is it being the only expansion to include additional mysteries for the Ancient Ones. Without this expansion the core AO's will always have less replayability than the newer ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a direct answer to your question but I highly recommend you take a look at some of the EH runthroughs by
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb

He was also the first one to reply to your question. He does solo runthroughs, often with extra flavor text. All of his runthroughs are good but his later ones of EH are the best runthroughs of any game I've ever seen. You'll get some tips on rules and optimal play and you will also get a good feel for what many of the expansions bring to the table, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.