Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Isolation and half wormhole travel technology? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we all know Eclipse has a heavy isolationist strategy there. I was wondering if there are any plans for a research that allows for travel through half wormhole routs. Sort of like wormhole generator but only works if there is at least half a wormhole for a lower cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
So we all know Eclipse has a heavy isolationist strategy there.

I disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
So we all know Eclipse has a heavy isolationist strategy there. I was wondering if there are any plans for a research that allows for travel through half wormhole routs. Sort of like wormhole generator but only works if there is at least half a wormhole for a lower cost.

huh? I thought wormhole generator needed at least half of wormhole to travel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wibs wrote:
Marinealver wrote:

huh? I thought wormhole generator needed at least half of wormhole to travel...

Yeah, that's exactly what it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I stopped reading at the first period
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
Marinealver wrote:

I disagree.

Correct. Most Races do not thrive if they go for full isolation and in my experience most successful players don't even try to achieve it with most races. (Only exceptions in my books: Planta and Hydran)

And even if you actively go for it, unless your neighbors play along it is just about impossible to achieve full isolation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you still struggle with isolationism, I think the Black Hole expansion also helps some of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
And if you still struggle with isolationism, I think the Black Hole expansion also helps some of that.

An early game aggressive strategy with Orion deals with isolationism brilliantly IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:

Isolationism in Eclipse benefits some races (Hydra, Planta) and disadvantages others (Orion, Eridani). As such, assuming folks are choosing races based on their neighbor's choices, the want for everyone to be isolationist should be mostly nullified (i.e. if you pick Hydra and then I pick Orion? I don't want to be isolationist...)

Quote:
I was wondering if there are any plans for a research that allows for travel through half wormhole routs. Sort of like wormhole generator but only works if there is at least half a wormhole for a lower cost.

There are already plenty of ways to work around hard edged space territory:

(Base game)
-Wormhole Generators (which do what you suggest new technology should do; you can go through half a wormhole).

(RotA)
-Jump Drive discovery (ship can just go to an adjacent sector, ignoring all wormhole restrictions).

-Cloaking Device (makes pinning a lot harder, allows you to swarm enemy space with speed 6 cloaked interceptors through a single point of contact).

-Warp Portal hex/discovery/developments (creates unexpected points of contact).

-Lyra (get wormhole generators as their easiest and cheapest Shrine development as early as T3).

(SotR)
-Deep Warp Nexus and Deep Warp Portals (creates a great deal of incentive to have a connection to a joint location; if just one person has access to the Deep Warp Nexus, it is handing them a ton of free VPs).

-Time Distortion Tiles (send ships to the future, they can show up in neighboring territory unexpectedly).

(Promo)
-Black Holes (send ships to unconnected territory).

-Flux Wormhole discovery (create a permanent wormhole connection between two adjacent sectors that aren't otherwise connected).

The game has steadily been increasing the amount of ways around someone trying to cut off the rest of the universe. There are plenty of ways to break down an isolationist strategy, assuming someone is so inclined, and their should be someone so inclined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.