mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon] Up to 50% select Queen Games
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Deal page

Includes:
Kingdom Builder $19.99
Treasure Hunter 25.99
Alhambra 16.39

Paris Connection for $14.69 shipped is a smoking hot deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Croxall
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
www.profhacker.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I ordered Alhambra at the beginning of November when they did a similar deal. It still hasn't shipped as they haven't had stock. Looks like I need to chat with an Amazon CSR.

EDIT: They have supposedly switched my order around so it will ship now. And have upgraded me to 1-day shipping. Whatever happened to $5 discounts??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sarley
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thing. I just canceled the original order and re-ordered it using the new item. Not sure why they have two separate listings for the same model number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Parkaboy wrote:
Huh. I ordered Alhambra at the beginning of November when they did a similar deal. It still hasn't shipped as they haven't had stock. Looks like I need to chat with an Amazon CSR.

EDIT: They have supposedly switched my order around so it will ship now. And have upgraded me to 1-day shipping. Whatever happened to $5 discounts??

You have to not be okay with the upgraded Shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Is Alhambra worth it if you never buy expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Langer
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

I think it is. I have played many games of basic Alhambra, and even played a few with expansions. I think the expansions do add something to the game, but I dont feel they are necessary by any means.

At $16 it is a great deal for the game too. I would tell anyone on the fence to get it for that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Chi

New York
msg tools
Gedd wrote:
Not sure why they have two separate listings for the same model number.

I find this really odd as well. It only has one review, to boot. Isn't there a family version of Alhambra? Maybe this is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hecox
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Game Reviewer
badge
Help, I can't stop laughing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

It depends on the player, but it feels old and dated without expansions. Just not entirely interesting and too weird for my taste. I would love to try the expansions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
koreanpenguin wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

It depends on the player, but it feels old and dated without expansions. Just not entirely interesting and too weird for my taste. I would love to try the expansions though.

And there's my problem. The expansions only come with the big box now, so if I want to try the expansions later I have to buy the base game again. The only other option is dropping now $50 on the off chance I might like some of the modules, but will likely not use most of them. Queen Games yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Deal page

Includes:
Kingdom Builder $19.99
Treasure Hunter 25.99
Alhambra 16.39

You aren't kidding. That's the only deal I've grabbed from Amazon this Black Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen O
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
koreanpenguin wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

And there's my problem. The expansions only come with the big box now, so if I want to try the expansions later I have to buy the base game again. The only other option is dropping now $50 on the off chance I might like some of the modules, but will likely not use most of them. Queen Games yuk

Alhambra Big Box was one of the first gamer games I bought. My wife and I have played it a ton. I've taught it to others with success. It still ranks as one of my favorite games of all time.

However... I have never played it without at least one expansion module. Even when I taught it to my then-8-year-old daughter, we used one of the simplest modules (money conversion cards).

It's probably a decent game without any expansions, but with expansions, it really is a great game, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco Big Box is tempting. I like base game Fresco, never played with expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
koreanpenguin wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

The podcast Heavy Cardboard talked about Alhambra with expansions and the former host, Tony who is a person who plays HEAVY games, relly liked it with certain expansions added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchellcmiller wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Deal page

Includes:
Kingdom Builder $19.99
Treasure Hunter 25.99
Alhambra 16.39

You aren't kidding. That's the only deal I've grabbed from Amazon this Black Friday.

I finally broke down and purchased that as well, as well as re-purchasing Kingdom Builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Croxall
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
www.profhacker.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

That's been my concern as well. I'm tempted by getting the expansions but also don't know that it's worth the investment to get them all when I've never played the base game.

My shipping status still hasn't changed, so maybe I can complain again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parkaboy wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

That's been my concern as well. I'm tempted by getting the expansions but also don't know that it's worth the investment to get them all when I've never played the base game.

My shipping status still hasn't changed, so maybe I can complain again soon.

If you have a decent size collection I would advise against the big box. Use Alhambra for what it is; an entry level, light, family game. When you want more grab something different from your collection. Now, if you only own 3 or 4 games then by all means the Big Box would probably serve you well.

Just my 2 cents. For reference I have the big box, never have and probably never will play any of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I succumbed and bought Alhambra. I don't really want a big box sized game. And I probably won't play it often enough to miss any of the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mitchellcmiller wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Deal page

Includes:
Kingdom Builder $19.99
Treasure Hunter 25.99
Alhambra 16.39

Just picked this up as well - it's listed as a multi language version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Liles
United States
Valparaiso
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
Fresco Big Box is tempting. I like base game Fresco, never played with expansions.
We really like the Glaziers and Gold leaf expansions (4,5 & 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meg Hutchins
msg tools
I have the Big Box, and I sometimes wish we just got the plain version. I have to store the huge thing flat or the pieces go everywhere, and I find most of the expansions to be rather fiddly. I never play with more that 1-3 modules from any given expansion at a time. I prefer the elegance and hard choices of the original game. If you enjoy simple, elegant games -- I'm thinking Ticket to Ride or Carcassone without expansions -- you'd probably like this. I've played both with kids and groups of adults. Easy to teach, easy to pick up, still interesting to play, and it goes up to 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schatz
United States
Lake Balboa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Paris Connection even a good game? I realize it's a massive discount, but ... It doesn't have the best reviews.

I also have the Alhambra Big box. It's okay, but the expansions actually kind of dilute the main game. I do kind on wish I just bought the main game and saved the money for something else. I'm "assuming" this is probably true with Fresco as well.

I snagged Kingdom Builder, Chicago Express, and Fresco. I have Paris connection in my cart as I contemplate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been tempted by Fresco as it looks unique. Got Kingdom Builder on a sale a few weeks ago. Eyeing the expansions but they aren't discounted, nor is Escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anderson

Raleigh
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kronic24601 wrote:
Is Paris Connection even a good game? I realize it's a massive discount, but ... It doesn't have the best reviews.

I also have the Alhambra Big box. It's okay, but the expansions actually kind of dilute the main game. I do kind on wish I just bought the main game and saved the money for something else. I'm "assuming" this is probably true with Fresco as well.

I snagged Kingdom Builder, Chicago Express, and Fresco. I have Paris connection in my cart as I contemplate

My take on the overall reviews is that Paris Connection was waaaaay overpriced for what you got (MSRP was $60). But the gameplay seems to be well-regarded.

I just ordered it as part of this sale so I hope my impression is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paris Connection is a great game and it plays well up to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.